Weekend work....part 2

Following on from my first post… I managed to get signed in as a casual driver. My plan is to gain experience in the job and crikey, what a steep learning curve.

I worked this Monday. Nice start time of 7.30am which gave me time to walk the dog beforehand.
As it was my first day I thought I would be shown the ropes a bit. But no, straight out on the road. I had to connect to a trailer already loaded and take it to Aldi RDC in Cardiff.

I was bothered about the load as there were only crossed strips at the back end and they were slack but as another driver said when i asked if that was safe, ‘someone drove it to here ok’.

I was already an hour late so I went straight there but took my time in roundabouts (rab). Is it called handballing? Well, whatever, whilst unloading using the lecky trolley thing, one of the pallets had caught the side pillar and over goes the top half of one lot of drinks. So, an hour job turns into a 2 hour tip. That was me sweating for the first time that day but I re-stacked the pallet and Aldi were happy.
Lots of learning on that first job for me.

I phoned up the office when done. Back to Bridgend, drop off the trailer and pick up another full of pulp. Got back to the yard and found the trailer. It would be the trailer with the legs barely raised.
I’m not afraid to point out my lack of experience and was very grateful for the help from an Eastern European driver to eventually get hitched and on the way. Learnt a lot in that half hour…Lots of learning today.

Anyway; learnt a lot in the next hour too. I know the way to Maesteg…straight up Cowbridge road. 50 yards away from IT, I swore out loud. The same bridge that I knew was there, and the same bridge I’d been called to in the past to help turn foreign drivers around, was facing me with the clear signage of 15 feet. Crap!!! I’m 15’ 2" .
First day and I wasn’t going to risk a bridge strike. Traffic was horrendous. I made a total hash of trying to reverse out of it. I am so grateful for Steve a TDW driver, for getting out of the sh#t. I’m so embarrassed but yet another lesson learnt.

Had to take my 45mins rest having done 6 hours work so by the time I reached Maesteg I was too late. No receipts after 3pm. Sorry to those at the papermill who were messed around by me. A few phone calls and I was accepted. Tipped as the reloaded. Thanks to Rhys from Owens, and also to Gary from John Raymond \Nolan, who taught me how to secure the paper loads and even how to use the curtain sides. Ended my day about 8pm.

I had crapped myself so many times in that first day I was a wreck. ‘You in tomorrow?’ the office asked. Nope…things to do (like recover, so Sorry to the transport office chaps if I let you down yesterday).
Was back in today for more learning…but much better.
Things went much smoother all day. I’m probably working slower than the company expects but hey, I think with being left to sort it out, I’m learning quicker.

I think I said in my first post I’m 57 now. I regard myself as being fairly fit but these 2 shifts have absolutely wiped me out.
Back for more? Definately.

Sounds like it was a long old day but I imagine you’ve come away from it a much better driver. Sometimes the best way to learn is from your mistakes.

There is a bit of a nack to the self tipping at aldi with the electric pallet trucks. It will come with time and you’ll know how to do it after a while without knocking a pallet over.

As for the bridge thing. I can’t stress enough; invest in a “truckers atlas”. They show all of the bridge heights on major roads and a quick glance can often highlight and eliminate problem areas on a route. Alas, well done on getting yourself back out of it. Many a plankton would have risked it or not even noticed the thing was too low in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hey, talknonesense, the stupid part of me is…I had borrowed a very good trucker Sat nav but cus I know the area (well, obviously I don’t know it as I should), I just drove without looking at it!!!
You are right though, we learn from our mistakes. That first day left me mentally drained. Second day was far better.