Weekend work?

Evening, everyone. Just wondering what the best approach is for getting into full time trucking.

My background is: during 80’s I went the hgv3, then hgv2 and finally hgv1 route whilst in the RAF although most work was with the 2s in tankers.

I left that world in 97 and am currently a police driver trainer. Good money and some good workmates but I’m potentially in my last 10 years of work and looking for a change…job satisfaction.

I live in South Wales and am planning: every other weekend work (comply with driver rest times) doing hgv1 work to gain experience for a while THEN give up my job, start full time trucking and even looking at tramping.

What is the best way of getting experience / refresher training at weekends? (I’ve been out in a c+e the last couple of weeks to get back into driving BUT lack any experience of tacho, different aspects like curtain siders, tail lifts etc…Can still do dollies though!!!)

I am thinking of just turning up or ringing local companies…Owens, John Raymond (Nolan) etc but am I better off going agency? Do the local companies appreciate people cold calling like this?

What induction / help could I expect from both options to ensure I’m safe enough loading / using tacho etc?
Serious question…when I was young you would always see dogs in trucks. I would jack my job in tomorrow if I could find a trucking job that I could take my dog with me…is that allowed these days■■?

I know, sounds like a troll…works for police, wants to truck…even more I’ve been out this week in one of those Merc mirrorless trucks and love them but this is a true post and would love some advice on how to get started, please.

You can’t be a troll as nobody ever admits to being in the police and they never say they arent a troll either.

Now as to your questions. You’ll need to do a few things toget things running.

1. Get a medical which from memory involves a D4 form and finding someone whos doing the medicals. The D4 for drivers lot are often cheapest if they have started them again.

d4drivers.uk/

That should get you the C+E back on your licence although I have heard DVLA can be a little slow if your licence was from forces and that far back.

1. You need 35 hours of CPC. Hopefully there’ll be a few suggestions on here for locations where you can do this. In theory some people do online courses, but dont know too many details and they seem relatively sparce. All changing with current situation.

Now work wise. Thats going to be the hard part currently as a lot of drivers may be looking at redundency, and agency work seems virtually non existant. However, this again can change and settle in the near future.

For occasional work, the general thinking seems to be agency since its easier to pickup bits especially when its not regular weekend work. Its very up in the air there, but I suspect the lower payers will be the best options like Owens.

Problem with agencies is you get pretty much zero help unless very lucky. You get dropped in and have to sink or swim. Yeah its not great, but you learn fast for sure. Youtube in your friend along with buying a ratchet / strap off Ebay and practice.

Usually going to see companies works, although more for small ones. Would possibly hold off currently as many won’t welcome visitors, but once things relax, its worth a shot.

Dogs, a few might but many sites wont let you on. Eg, if you visited a Tesco site and they spotted it, you’d be off site faster than one of your police cars can accelerate. Also only works for tramping.

Mirrorless trucks - wont get one on agency, mlre like the knackered piece of crap in the corner of the yard. Tramping you might get one, but not sure who’d want one. Lots of issues.

Suspect you’ll get more help soon here inc all the bits I forgot.

Well, I did post a reply to you trevHCS, but I don’t know where it has gone. I’ll try again.
Thanks for your response, trevHCS.
My comment about the dog was a bit tongue in cheek… albeit with a bit of fishing as well. I’m going to have to hold off changing jobs for good until he finally goes as I am the only one who can walk him…he’s a bit of a land shark.
A mate I work with sorted out CPC training for us so that’s done; licence is all in order and digi card arrived last week…just need to learn how to use it now.
I know you said about the current climate and jobs situation but there are jobs being advertised round here.
What’s people’s thoughts on casual workers like I’m looking at initially? Do you think we are taking your work from you?
Anyway, I think this next week I will try and pop in a few places and ask if I can get some experience with them.
Thanks again, trevHCS, for your input. I will next week with any news/updates.

JonS:
What’s people’s thoughts on casual workers like I’m looking at initially? Do you think we are taking your work from you?.

You’ll most likely get the work no one also wants if you’re doing casual weekend stuff.

They’ll have to pay you the same as the regulars (hopefully) and technically they are taking more of a risk, so wouldn’t worry about taking work off people. No doubt spmeone will moan until you ask them “did you want the shift” and they reply “hell no, I go drinking at the weekend”. It really happens!

I would suspect you’ll be better than a lot of the agency cover they get however due to your background. If you get a good rep, they may start to pick you above the moaning fulltimers.

Ultimately, everyone’s there to work. Just ignore the moaners and most won’t care.

Just remember, they cant do 120mph and you can’t use blue lights to get back when the coffee brewed. Just basing that on the large number of blue light emergencies there must be at Derbyshire police HQ near my work. :smiley: :wink:

Ahhhh…that’s part of my problem. I no longer want to be doing 120mph (plus a bit more, and only in the right places and for the right reasons). It’s ok when you have control but when teaching others, that’s a different matter :frowning: . I can’t say anything about Derbyshire police as I’ve not had any dealings with them. I do understand them using their blues and twos cus the thing is, you can’t let the tea go cold so we have to rush everywhere.

I think I have always been happy doing the jobs no one else wants…people tend to leave you alone then…hopefully.

I have been given a number to ring of a transport manager so I aim to do that tomorrow. I feel a bit like a cold caller though and I usually hang up on those. I will let you know how I get on.

Just to add that a personal visit is better than a phone call. And forget emails.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Trev and Pete, thanks both for your replies. I’ve to attend an induction tomorrow, so that was quick! I had been in my way to a local small firm’s yard to ask if he had any work and nearby was a truck from a major local hauliers being unloaded.
I spoke with the driver who was just finishing a 5 day tramping session and asked the best way to approach it all. He gave me the transport manager’s number and hey, here we go.

Just about to get my head into Malcolm Green’s book…chapter on pre-employment exam questions…I’m not sure what the induction will entail but apprehensively looking forward to it. I do want to get some experience in this haulage business so when the poor old dog finally pops his clogs I can have a change of career.
I will update tomorrow with how it goes.

Well, went and bought hi viz, gloves and safety boots, revised driver hours, highway code and so on. No need for that lot. Induction was loads of sign and dating various forms, company policies and procedures and I’m in!!! Easy as that. I need to get a grip with learning about tachos…YouTube for that…but also need to have a look at different trailer types and securing loads in different trailers. Maybe YouTube again but I was thinking of ringing up the transport manager and asking if I can go in and watch some drivers do their loads.
Anyway, like I said, am in with the company, hope to get some good experience for the future.

Congrats.

Slightly behind with this, but congrats, sounds like you’ve gotten over the most tricky step.

Getting a foot in the door, although if you can do 120+ in the passenger seat and still keep your sanity, then they likely figure you’re unflappable. (I panic at 55 if not behind the slow pedal).

Forgot to mention, most places don’t read the “20 daft questions to ask at interviews” book as they dont let HR anywhere near the drivers. They want real people with real life experience who arent going to panic when the radio wont tune to Capital FM. :slight_smile:

Just make sure you defect anythkng that looks iffy on the truck and trailer. They usually provide you with a defect book for the truck, but some use just a photocopied sheet. I prefer the copy book as you can show VOSA the copy.

Tachos are pretty simple. All you really need to remember initially is how to get it to switch from other work to break and back. On most its just the “1” button which switches modes or the “person” button.

To eject the card, either press the kindof VHS eject type button or hold the “person” button down until it starts to eject. Depends on model.

Wouldn’t panic about manual entries at this stage as they are just a good way to mess your day up. Plus the Ministry seem to be pretty relaxed around newer drivers unless you really screw up (eg: no card in the unit or daftly over your time).

Edit: Forgot, I’m sure theres an exception to hours if the tea is getting cold and you won’t have time to get back without a 45…probably. :wink:

Well well well. Should have been in Corfu next week on holiday but that’s on hold SO, I texted the company to see if they had anything going and they can give me a bit of work. I’ve to ring in Saturday to see what the job is. Really excited and apprehensive. Been practicing with ratchet straps and have borrowed an hgv satnav.
I am in a bit of a dilemma though. I want to gain experience so I can jack in my job and get trucking; but am I taking peoples’ jobs by taking casual work? The company is advertising for c+e drivers so that was why I approached them in the first place but I do wonder if I’m taking other people’s jobs.

On a less wimpish note, will take a flask, waterproofs,ppe, phone, what else should I take? Overnight stuff in case I get caught up? What do experienced truckers carry daily■■?

You shouldn’t give a toss if you’re taking someone’s work. It suits you and your situation and you went and got the job so that’s that.

Thanks SJB. Wonder if people know what I mean, though. I’ve already got a job (fed up now, but secure in this day and age), and there are drivers out there getting redundancy letters and such like.
Anything else I should think about taking for day 1■■?