CPC training online and other questions

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking around for CPC training and I’m seeing a lot of web results for online CPC training because of the Covid19 situation.

Is this legit?

It looks legit but the best scams always do!

My brother drives a class 1 and he’d never heard of online schools and was pretty sure it had to be done in a classroom.

He also said it’s pretty boring and not useful apart from the driver hours and tacho and probably traffic and enforcement. He said to ask you guys is it possible to do two lots of driver hours and drop something else. He thinks (but wasn’t 100%) that it didn’t actually matter which segments you took as long as you had 35 hours total.

Example: 5 days doing nothing but driver hours would equate to 35 hours. You have a CPC

Or do you have to do each section to show you’ve done your health and safety etc etc?

It’s been legit for many weeks now, your brother is well out of the loop.
The online option is set to expire on 12th June so if you want to do it you’d better get cracking.

As far as boring goes, that depends on the trainer, some are deathly dull, many are not, some give you duff information, most do not.

You wouldn’t now be able to do 5 days of just Drivers Hours due to the expiration. If you had done it, THAT would have been boring.

You wouldn’t now be able to do 5 days of just Drivers Hours due to the expiration

If you really wanted to, you could. You’d probably end up with 5 different trainers and, I expect, you’d be totally bewildered at the end of it!

But, in theory, yes you could do it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

With ten days till it is due to expire (setting aside the as yet unproven claims that it has been extended indefinitely) it would take some commitment & luck to search around and locate five separate providers who could deliver it in this time frame, considering most outfits run specific courses on specific days throughout the week.

I’m fairly certain you’d agree with me Peter that other DCPC course topics are worth sitting through.

Many drivers seem to automatically assume that every DCPC is going to be a snoozefest, this is not necessarily so.

Thanks for the info and replies guys.

I didn’t actually mean doing five whole days of nothing but driver hours. That was probably a daft way of wording it, totally my fault.

You’ve given me loads to think about and by the sounds of it, not a lot of time to make a decision.

Don’t you think they’ve maybe opened the gates to do online CPC forever? Unless they’re going to say anyone who passed an online course either has to redo it when classes are open or the course was in some other way ‘inferior’

I’m fairly certain you’d agree with me Peter that other DCPC course topics are worth sitting through.

I was, of course, being faceious. I would never recommend taking any one course 5 times in a week! Merely demonstrating that, with enough determination, it would be possible.

Personally, I like drivers to complete 1 day each year and I recommend that Drivers’ Hours/Tachos are covered every 3 or 4 years. It’s the one subject that costs money if you get it wrong. So CORRECT updates are more than a bit handy.

it would, in theory then, be possible to do 5 courses, with 5 trainers, on 5 laptops, on 1 day…

a nice way to condense it somewhat…

The amount of people i have come across who having done the drivers hours course, still don’t understand it, some could do with taking it twice.
A chap at our place just can’t grasp the 24 hour rule, he’s done the drivers hrs twice. He keeps getting infringements for it. I’ve tried myself to explain it to him, he just ain’t grasping it.
Employer just keeps saying sign for your infringements here…!
When DVSA have him for it he’ll take notice…

it would, in theory then, be possible to do 5 courses, with 5 trainers, on 5 laptops, on 1 day…

a nice way to condense it somewhat…

I dont think for one minute you’re serious! But it wouldn’t work because the system wouldn’t accept 5 uploads on one day. Sorry.

Interesting concept though!

So

Online Driver CPC is to continue after 12th June until further notice.

Is this the end of classroom Driver CPC?

The option is do either so it will be interesting to see the numbers in 6 months time.

At £35 per online CPC module I doubt the Classroom based providers will be able to make a profit, and I expect the online price to go even lower

So yes, it is going to continue online after 12th June, supposedly JAUPT are sending this out to all providers today (or their version of “today”!)

However, this isn’t an official government policy, more like a “we’ll just let it ride until something happens”. They’ve worded it as a temporary measure [to] remain under review in line with wider Government advice.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the end of classroom DCPC, but there’s some good arguments as to why it ought to be.

Lets not forget there are DCPC courses which do require classroom attendance, eg a certified First Aid Qualification or FORS Safe Urban Driving (especially relevant to those who need to drive in London).

I would not expect the online price to decrease, I’ve posted some numbers on that earlier. The only way someone could make that work is as a one-person operation, working from home, getting bored out of their mind with repetition for minimal wages. It would take a certain kind of person to be able to do that long term (I certainly wouldn’t do it!).

Incidentally, JAUPT are tightening up the auditing criteria, there are some outfits running now who are going to have to shake things up a lot just to pass muster.

Zac_A:
So yes, it is going to continue online after 12th June, supposedly JAUPT are sending this out to all providers today (or their version of “today”!)

However, this isn’t an official government policy, more like a “we’ll just let it ride until something happens”. They’ve worded it as a temporary measure [to] remain under review in line with wider Government advice.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the end of classroom DCPC, but there’s some good arguments as to why it ought to be.

Lets not forget there are DCPC courses which do require classroom attendance, eg a certified First Aid Qualification or FORS Safe Urban Driving (especially relevant to those who need to drive in London).

I would not expect the online price to decrease, I’ve posted some numbers on that earlier. The only way someone could make that work is as a one-person operation, working from home, getting bored out of their mind with repetition for minimal wages. It would take a certain kind of person to be able to do that long term (I certainly wouldn’t do it!).

Incidentally, JAUPT are tightening up the auditing criteria, there are some outfits running now who are going to have to shake things up a lot just to pass muster.

I don’t think it would take a genius to catch the government and the mayor of London at their own game. I think it would be incredibly easy.

“Online CPC courses reduce congestion, carbon emissions, reduces unnecessary vehicle journeys and encourages technical innovation within industry”

All things the government claim they want.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a British trainer sat in a cheaper country quite happy to do online courses over the internet all day then relaxing with a glass of something red by his pool.

Hello all, my first post on here so I hope I’m in the right place…

I have grandfather rights for 7.5 tonne and a few years experience from the early noughties. My question is, what CPC do I need?

35 hours online should do it right? Cheapest I can find is £49/7 hrs.

I need to do this pronto. Multi drop in a 3.5t van is driving me nuts…

LoveTheOpenRoad:
35 hours online should do it right?

Correct :smiley:
If not got one apply now for digicard

ROG:

LoveTheOpenRoad:
35 hours online should do it right?

Correct :smiley:
If not got one apply now for digicard

Thanks - I’m filling in t’form now

LoveTheOpenRoad:
Hello all, my first post on here so I hope I’m in the right place…

I have grandfather rights for 7.5 tonne and a few years experience from the early noughties. My question is, what CPC do I need?

35 hours online should do it right? Cheapest I can find is £49/7 hrs.

I need to do this pronto. Multi drop in a 3.5t van is driving me nuts…

Hi. My first post on here Hope I can help a little . I’m in the same position as you. Got “grandfathered” in but have never done any DCPC. So I completed 5 x 7 hour modules online and one after the other at £49.00 each. Sent off for and received from the DVLA Digi Tacho Card (£32.00) and just got my DQC through the post last week (free).I dfor one did enjoy the course.

I learned a lot from it and thought it was very useful. It was all done via “Zoom” and we had an average “class” of around 10 people. Different instructors each day and plenty of opportunities to ask questions etc. We had Brit drivers from as far away as Australia and Thailand tuning in the lessons so they could renew during the lockdown.
Hope this helps. :smiley:

I sat on half a day of an online DCPC course in June and it was the worst thing I have ever done.
One guys was still in bed with no shirt on, another chap was clearly watching TV and there was almost no interaction with the trainer.

If the course gets audited then who knows what will happen. I understand that it may sound like a good thing, but it will be another avenue for all the poor companies to market similar to when the DCPC began and all manner of people thought it was easy money.

Mostly the DCPC is run by decent companies like Pete and I hope that stays the case, but many new companies will start up offering a cheap, poor and potentially disallowed course.