Grandfather rights and driving 7.5 ton

I’m not sure if I’ve got this right -

I passed my driving licence back in 1985 so I’ve got Grandfather rights to drive 7.5 ton

If I pass a CPC course this will allow me to apply for driving jobs upto 7.5 ton.

I can apply for a job driving a 7.5 ton truck with absolutely no driver training (after passing the CPC)

Is that correct?

Yep and you also need a digi tacho card

Sent while in furlough

blue estate:
Yep and you also need a digi tacho card

Sent while in furlough

Hi Blue,

What do I need to do or who do I need to contact for a tacho card?

Presuming I have completed 35 hours CPC and have my Grandfather rights license who would I contact for a tacho card?

Or is it issued automatically with completing the CPC?

gov.uk/apply-for-a-digital- … smart-card

Sent while in furlough

Just to add that you might do well to apply for the tacho card sooner rather than later. There are delays at DVLA of varying length so get it applied for. Cant work without it (assuming vehicle is fitted with digitach which it will be unless more than 15 years old).

There’s no connection between this and driver cpc.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Just to add that you might do well to apply for the tacho card sooner rather than later. There are delays at DVLA of varying length so get it applied for. Cant work without it (assuming vehicle is fitted with digitach which it will be unless more than 15 years old).

There’s no connection between this and driver cpc.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply Pete,

So I can apply for a tacho card this evening even before I’ve passed my CPC?

With the amount of driver training required it seems really odd (and potentially dangerous!) Someone who has possibly only driven a Nissan Micra could step behind the wheel of a truck.

Luckily, I’ve driven far larger things than a Micra but only actually driven a 7.5tonner once for a few hours over ten years ago (when I moved house and rented a truck)

Build5:
With the amount of driver training required it seems really odd (and potentially dangerous!) Someone who has possibly only driven a Nissan Micra could step behind the wheel of a truck.

A loop hole that’s completely wrong in my opinion from back in the days when the DVLA used to give " free licences away ", which they have clamped down on now and make you pass a test instead.

Build5:
So I can apply for a tacho card this evening even before I’ve passed my CPC?

YES - you just need a (B) car licence

Thanks for the replies and helpful info guys,

I’ve filled in my tacho card form and I’m off to post it now.

Dave.

Oooooo glad I saw this. I also thought the tacho card was linked to CPC.
Gonna get this D777B form filled in & sent off then.

I have a question though…
I moved house a couple of weeks before I was due to do my class 2 training but because it was so close I planned to get my address changed at the same time as having it upgraded to class 2 (assuming I don’t flunk it!!). My training was cancelled 3 days before the start date.

That was 2 months ago & in hindsight I probably could’ve sent it & had it back by now but I was scared that it wouldn’t come back in time so haven’t sent it.
So my licence still has my old address on it. Is that likely to cause any problems either with training/test, or the tacho application, or anything else?

officeboy:
So my licence still has my old address on it. Is that likely to cause any problems either with training/test, or the tacho application, or anything else?

YES - get the address changes ASAP

ROG:

officeboy:

You can change your address anytime here, its £1000 if you dont.

gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Tacho card goes to address on your licence…

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

officeboy:

You can change your address anytime here, its £1000 if you dont.

gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Yes I’ve done it. I didn’t realise you can do this online without having to send your licence back (until the replacement arrives).
Jeez there’s so much stuff I don’t know, maybe I should’ve stayed in my sheltered little office, I knew stuff there lol