HIAB Qualifiction for Builders Merchant

I’m trying to get a job with a builders merchant as a class 2 delivery driver.

I’ve had my class 2 for about 7 years and my medical and my CPC etc are all up to date.

Trouble is I don’t have a HIAB licence/qualification ans this has tripped me up for similar roles in the past.

Question is, I’ve found a local company that does a course that is stated as being ITSSAR accredited.

Can anyone tell me if obtaining the above would be acceptable for companies such as Buildbase/Travis Perkins please?

T.I.A.

Ring the merchants and ask what they actually want, legally all that is required to operate any plant machinery is to have had instruction and be competent.

I could show you how to use my crane, let you have a go in the yard and deem you to be OK and that’s it. Obviously when things go wrong then questions get asked about who deemed you confident etc etc. There are various different types of qualification / certification available, some will be like what I have just described with a certificate at the end others will be much more long winded and thorough CPCS.

Some companies will provide training with their preferred provider, as long they are happy with the certification that’s good enough for them but a different outfit may not recognise it.

Thanks for the reply 8wheels.

I have emailed the company so I’ll see what they come back with.

smokeysmoo:

Did you ever discover which certification body was most suitable?

ljsilver:

smokeysmoo:

ALLMI is “most preferred”, but naturally it’s the most expensive. Box-ticking exercises aside, certification bodies count for very little in the real world, HIAB work is all about experience, plus sound problem-solving logic ability for working in tight circumstances - such as unloading long bits of timber in a narrow alleyway with brick walls on either side, or finding ways to avoid lifting over parked vehicles.

Zac_A:

ljsilver:

smokeysmoo:

ALLMI is “most preferred”, but naturally it’s the most expensive. Box-ticking exercises aside, certification bodies count for very little in the real world, HIAB work is all about experience, plus sound problem-solving logic ability for working in tight circumstances - such as unloading long bits of timber in a narrow alleyway with brick walls on either side, or finding ways to avoid lifting over parked vehicles.

So ALLMI is most preferred by Travis Perkins, Buildbase… and who else?