Class 2 automatic

Greetings all,

Just to get your thoughts, I’ve got my Class 2 automatic only (Had it since 1990 something) as I use to drive a red truck with blue flashy things and a funny horn.

I have been contemplating doing my CPC but wondered if it was worth it work wise, are autos quite common or would I struggle to get any work at all?

Thanks.

I was told when I recently did my test that it makes no difference between auto and manual provided that you have a manual car licence. I have been told by many people (wincaton, various agency’s and driving schools) that most class 2 work is in automatics and if in the rare event that you get a manual they are a straight 6 like a modern car.

cooper1203:
I was told when I recently did my test that it makes no difference between auto and manual provided that you have a manual car licence. I have been told by many people (wincaton, various agency’s and driving schools) that most class 2 work is in automatics and if in the rare event that you get a manual they are a straight 6 like a modern car.

It only works that way for new passes - existing holders of automatic-only HGV licences must exchange their licence before they can drive manual HGVs (and they must of course hold a manual licence for lower classes of vehicle). But they don’t have to take another test.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DO YOU HAVE A MANUAL CAR LICENCE :question:
If yes then contact DVLA and get cat C upgraded to manual = no test etc needed

I know some firemen who have done this

ADD - just called DVLA and they confirmed this can be done by sending in the correct forms etc

It only works that way for new passes

Not so

ROG:

ADD - just called DVLA and they confirmed this can be done by sending in the correct forms etc

Not so

Yes I have a manual car license, that’s exactly how I got my license in the first place.

Thanks for the information, definitely a turn up for the books.

ROG:

Not so

What do you mean by “Not so”? The assertion made, and to which I addressed my comment, was that “it makes no difference between manual and automatic licences provided that you have a manual car licence”. I commented that this was only the case for new passes (i.e. no action required by the licence holder), but that existing (auto-only) HGV licence holders need to exchange their licence before they can legally drive a manual lorry. You appear to confirm this yourself with your advice to “contact DVLA and get Cat C upgraded to manual”…

Roymondo:

ROG:

Not so

What do you mean by “Not so”? The assertion made, and to which I addressed my comment, was that “it makes no difference between manual and automatic licences provided that you have a manual car licence”. I commented that this was only the case for new passes (i.e. no action required by the licence holder), but that existing (auto-only) HGV licence holders need to exchange their licence before they can legally drive a manual lorry. You appear to confirm this yourself with your advice to “contact DVLA and get Cat C upgraded to manual”…

Apologies - I read your post that only new passes could get the upgrade

I was in the same position earlier this year when I came out of the FRS. I claimed the manual license, did the CPC course and now drive agency 3 to 4 days a week. It’s very rare I’m in a manual vehicle, they are nearly all autos.
One thing to watch out for, when you get the license back from the DVLA they will have reset your pass date to the current year which has prevented me from doing some contracts as it looks like I am a recent pass rather than 1993 when I did the automatic test. TBH It’s not usually an issue though.

BarnAndFred:
One thing to watch out for, when you get the license back from the DVLA they will have reset your pass date to the current year which has prevented me from doing some contracts as it looks like I am a recent pass rather than 1993 when I did the automatic test. TBH It’s not usually an issue though.

That’s a valid point - I’d suggest taking a copy of your current licence (showing the “valid from” dates) before you send it off. Then if there is any query over how long you have held your licence you have proof…

Roymondo:

BarnAndFred:

That’s a valid point - I’d suggest taking a copy of your current licence (showing the “valid from” dates) before you send it off. Then if there is any query over how long you have held your licence you have proof…

Thanks, I’ll make sure I take a copy.

Just to bore you all, DVLA received my license on the 17th December and I’m still waiting for it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Novicerucker2:
Just to bore you all, DVLA received my license on the 17th December and I’m still waiting for it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Phone them and chase it up, same with your cpc, always phone and check up or else they’ll take ■■■■■■■ ages to do anything.

BarnAndFred:
I was in the same position earlier this year when I came out of the FRS. I claimed the manual license, did the CPC course and now drive agency 3 to 4 days a week. It’s very rare I’m in a manual vehicle, they are nearly all autos.

Just a quick update, they did this. It looks like I got my license on Christmas Eve 2019 and not 1997, I did take a copy of it before sending it off so hopefully it will help.

Novicerucker2:

Check View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK

It will show if they have changed it, CPC takes an age.

Well done, not sure where you are, but brett have many tipper bases and take new passes on and off, worth trying if one near you. Mainly autos, I only get and old man truck when mines in for service. Should be easier for you as only require quick trial drive. They give you a week with an experienced driver if you get in.