Very bizarre case study questions?

I’m using an app for the theory test and after taking the test about 20 times over the last 3 weeks I’ve never scored below 95% so my theory knowledge is pretty decent. However I’m practising case study questions online as there isn’t an official case study app from what I can see, and some of the questions are just so bizarre and things I’ve never come across in the theory. I’ve taken a dozen practice tests and can’t seem to score more than 75% as the questions I get asked are things I’ve never even heard of before.

Is this what the actual case study test will be like? I know when I took my driving theory test the case studies were basically exactly the same as the theory questions but worded into a case study, however the HGV case study questions are asking me about things I’ve never heard of, much less revised for…

Examples please …

Well for example…

Jo drives a variety of rigid vehicles from 3.5 tonne panel vans to 25 tonne box vans for an operator based in the North of England working across the EU.

From its base in the North of England, it generally takes 12 hours of driving to reach Dover.

All company vehicles are fitted with a speed limiter, bunk, fridge, roof mounted spoiler and exterior sun shade and a digital tachograph.

Before starting her latest trip, Jo has taken a fortnights holiday to Ireland with her family. Which of the following groups most accurately lists the documents that the driver will need for the vehicle, on a journey from France to Germany.

a) ATP certificate, carnet, attestation, of activities, CMR, community authorisation and driving licence.

b) V5C registration document, green card insurance, vehicle excise disk.

c) Tachograph records for the previous 7 days, VC5 registration document, CMR and ATA carnet.

d) Certified copy of community authorisation, CMR, attestation of activities, driving licence and driver qualification card.

Seriously what kind of question is that?! This is something you’d never know unless you have specifically learned it from some previous material somewhere. It’s not even something you can guess via process of elimination, it’s such an obscure question. And this isn’t just a one off, there’s a lot of questions which are about very specific niche things.

I’m not going to type out anymore examples as they’re pretty long winded but I also get questions about double manning, ferries, special HGVs that can carry 60 tons, cabotage in Europe and generally questions which literally were never in the theory side of stuff.

OK question because the drivers first job might be driving from UK to another country

ROG:
OK question because the drivers first job might be driving from UK to another country

So basically what you’re saying is a brand new HGV driver should be expected to memorise the entire HGV guide book / rules because at any moment they could get a job which involves remembering said rule.

I’d If you say so.

TruckerWannabe123:

ROG:

So basically what you’re saying is a brand new HGV driver should be expected to memorise the entire HGV guide book / rules because at any moment they could get a job which involves remembering said rule.

I’d If you say so.

As they are basic questions then yes

That is not to say I could remember them all - I doubt many can which is why the test pass limit is not set at 100%

surly if my first job was to drive abroad the company would tell me what paperwork I needed in my induction and would provide copies of the cmr

Yes the questions are more specific than the normal theory test but the way i saw it was that they try to get you thinking more like a driver, same with the module 4. Yes it could have been done better but just roll with it and pass.

It’s hardly a degree in rocket science, you don’t have to memorise the whole guide book just read/write down the key points you get wrong and try to remember them.

Go to www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk and sign up for their Mod 2 prep. So far as I am aware, it’s one of the better ones out there.

There was a time when a good knowledge of the multiple choice subject matter would see you through Mod 2. But this has changed so prep is important.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing: