Career change

After 30+ years in retail I wish to have a career change. I am finding it difficult to get into a transport office as everyone including agencies want experience.
I have had my own business in the past with 3.5t van and hold National CPC.
The alternative is to become a driver just wondering if i get HGV2 C1 whether i could get tipper work as that would be my preference and want to be home at night ( I’m too old in my 50’s to want to sleep out).

PS based in Norfolk

NobbyC:
After 30+ years in retail I wish to have a career change. I am finding it difficult to get into a transport office as everyone including agencies want experience.
I have had my own business in the past with 3.5t van and hold National CPC.
The alternative is to become a driver just wondering if i get HGV2 C1 whether i could get tipper work as that would be my preference and want to be home at night ( I’m too old in my 50’s to want to sleep out).

PS based in Norfolk

You must have a pre 1997 car licence so already have LGV C1 (7.5) so you have the choice of doing either two tests (mods 2 + 4) or doing the no test 35 hours of attencance training to get your DQC which you can do now as you have C1 :bulb:

I assume you mean going for LGV C and then CE :question:

Yes sorry meant catC only dont propose to do c+e

I’m sure if you asked around you’d get some tipper work, or on the Bin trucks, or pallet delivery work, a few around doing that with rigids, Bartrums, Jack Richards, Starlings and maybe Foulgers.

As for your National CPC, you must have held that for a while now, as you haven’t been able to get one for a few years, you can do refresher course, DVSA recommend it for those who have the qualification but haven’t been using it.

You could also try to get in as a planner, TM’s assistant, there were a couple of jobs like that advertised locally recently, but can’t remember who far.

I did check with TC they said would need refresher. I apply for all local traffic office jobs all want you to have done it before. Even tried J Richard’s as a trainee. Welch’s have one but too far away will take newbie too.