What's wrong with my eyes?

I had an assessment yesterday at stobarts for my first class 1 job .

Long story short , I didn’t even get to the wagon because I couldn’t read the number plate . I mean I couldn’t make it out at all it was well far away . The bloke said the other assessor makes you read it even further away [emoji15].

After this I had another assessment for Tesco’s . Read the number plate straight away ■■

Do you think I should go to the opticians or where stobarts having me on [emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

How far away were you from the vehicle?

He said it was 65ft which I believe is 20m . I’m not massively bothered it just put me on a bit of a downer . My glasses are fairly new 8 months and I only did my medical about 5 months ago . He said I could go to the opticians and get a letter stating that my eyes are ok and come back with it .

I think I was more confused than anything else maybe my eyes are tricking me

“For the test the police will ask the driver to read a number plate from 20 metres (66ft), around five car lengths. This is the same that learners face at the start of their practical driving test.”

So yeah, 20m is the right distance I reckon. The only thing that needs determining now is:

Were you really 20m away and couldn’t read the plate?
OR
Did he get the distance wrong?

I’d be out with a tape measure in the morning. It takes about a minute to pace it out or measure it out and check. You will know then.

There are other factors to consider before you go running back to the opticians. Firstly, whether you were actually 20m away, or further. Secondly, how good the light levels were, and whether your eyes have had sufficient time to adjust if you’ve just left an environment with lots of artificial light. Thirdly, how clean was the number plate you were asked to read, any dirt can easily make one letter look like something different

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You should be able to read a number plate from much further away from 20.5m

britannia-driving-school.co … simulator/

On a driving test where the eyesight test is required (NOT C1, D1, D,C, CE) and the candidate fails to read the plate, the distance is then measured with a tape to make sure the distance is correct.

Having passed the medical, there is no further eyesight test during the practical driving test as it has already been done on the medical. But there is nothing preventing an employer from conducting an eyesight test at any time.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Unlikely as it that anyone’s eyesight has deteriorated rapidly, it does happen. If your eyesight is worse get it checked ASAP. Just about any medical condition is best treated earlier rather than later.

The company I drive for asked me to do a full eye test at the optician for insurance reasons being a new driver, I think tests are going to be a standard for large companies, I was given a 6 week period to get it done as I was paying for it and I could still drive in that 6 week period

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

What I have noticed with driving is that one’s eyes are under more strain. Worse thing is to use a phone as a satnav without a blue filter - for long periods this can burn the retina. Certainly at night it is worse. I use an app called iBlue now and an amazing difference.

I have had eye trouble. Sometimes under certain modern lighting I find my eyes go blurry. I have been to an optician to find that I am slightly short sighted and a slight difference in long sight with left eye. This means that one eye is compensating the other which makes one’s eyes feel tired at times of concentration like driving. I can have a snellens test in certain light and read the bottom line perfectly and other times not so good.

An eye test is £20 and worthwhile if you have any concerns.

Franglais:
Unlikely as it that anyone’s eyesight has deteriorated rapidly, it does happen. If your eyesight is worse get it checked ASAP. Just about any medical condition is best treated earlier rather than later.

^^^Dunno what the OP’s situation is but I’d agree with this. Only took 4 days from a fast-ball High Street optician’s eye test (after the start of a shift :open_mouth: , test cost a tenner) to having a brain tumour removed. Buggers the job up though, as brain surgery’s a big no-no with the DVLA, but at least I’m still here and can now see perfectly again.
Not wanting to cause any panic attacks for the OP, but just start with getting your tape measure out, as previously suggested.

nickb67:

Franglais:

^^^Dunno what the OP’s situation is but I’d agree with this. Only took 4 days from a fast-ball High Street optician’s eye test (after the start of a shift :open_mouth: , test cost a tenner) to having a brain tumour removed. Buggers the job up though, as brain surgery’s a big no-no with the DVLA, but at least I’m still here and can now see perfectly again.
Not wanting to cause any panic attacks for the OP, but just start with getting your tape measure out, as previously suggested.

And I thought a brainectomy was compulsory with some firms!
Good that you`re OK, though.

Just thought I’d post an update . Just been to the opticians this morning. Absolutely nothing wrong with my eyes . She showed me the standard for dvsa on the scale where you read out the letters and I can read five lines below it !

Not a clue what happened on my assessment but hey ho .

funworks:
The company I drive for asked me to do a full eye test at the optician for insurance reasons being a new driver, I think tests are going to be a standard for large companies, I was given a 6 week period to get it done as I was paying for it and I could still drive in that 6 week period

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Would you mind saying which company asked for that?