Truckers sat nav suggestions

I guys im looking at investing in a truckers sat nav and just wondered what peoples thought were on the best ones for an affordable price ect. Ive been looking at this one but just wanted some opinions before I committed Pro Drive 3 IN 1 TRUCK 7" INCH HD SAT NAV LORRY CARAVAN GPS CAR
The link is ebay.co.uk/itm/130605917494? … EBIDX%3AIT its priced at £70!

The nozatec ones get good reviews they are £40
pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi … ID=EBAY-GB

ckm1981:

Seems ok but the one I posted seems better including blutooth ect I believe

ash 001:

ckm1981:

Seems ok but the one I posted seems better including blutooth ect I believe

Upto you fella,the nozatec ones have tried on tested reviews from people on here,also don’t bank on being able to use to Bluetooth function for calls as the noise of the wagon will make it very difficult for people to hear you,I use a Bluetooth headset after trying the Bluetooth on my tomtom because I found the engine noise makes the call hard work.

ckm1981:

Is that a full LGV sat nav? Including bridge hights and weight limits? And also LGV ban roads? I only ask as I was looking a while ago and the cheepest I found that had all that was around £120

TheTrogFather:

ckm1981:

Is that a full LGV sat nav? Including bridge hights and weight limits? And also LGV ban roads? I only ask as I was looking a while ago and the cheepest I found that had all that was around £120

Yes it is.

Ooooooooo me likes me likes

I bought a similar one a while back. They are basically a cheap chinese unit running on a windows OS with a shell. The software is iGo or similar. The software is fine and they do the job well. Sometimes they are a bit slow to respond and can crash and need restarting.

The one issue I found with them is the battery life on them is shocking meaning you need 12v power all the time. In the case of mine, the power socket was loose meaning it dropped power after less than a minute of the power losing connection and would turn itself off. Not what you want when you are driving and don’t know the route without it.

You may get one that works perfect. But don’t expect the same build quality and after sale service as buying a reputable brand.

I got a garmin dezl 760 full UK and Europe for 290 quid off eBay, it was 2nd hand the guy had used it just 3 times, and it’s immaculate. Had it for 3 weeks, so far so good. Easy to use and setup, type in your height, length etc and away you go. My truck is 12’ 4 high and it tried to take me under a bridge that was 12’ 6, but I didn’t attempt it. On the calculation was possible but it’s a bit too close for me :confused:

They all do basicly the same if it says its a truck specific it will do height width and weight restrictions. . Don’t take the route on any as gospel bridge heights can change between map updates so always go off height signs. My personal preference if you have a smartphone is to use that and the cheapest about is Aponia at about under 30 quid for a uk map. Or copilot truck if you have iphone or android. Aponia runs on window phone ios or android… We run at 14’2" but always set mine to 14’6"

IMO it’s better to pay more for a decent sat nav with free updates, than to buy a cheap one and then have to buy/subscribe to monthly updates.
And if you can, get one with live traffic updates.

Check this site;
satnavdebate.co.uk/best-sell … d-kingdom/

My uncle also uses a Garmin Dezl 760 and has nothing but praise for it, and like Alix, he adds a couple of inches to his trailer height so it doesn’t take him down any really tight clearances.

I agree. Get your hand in your pockets. Mine is a TomTom 5250, its very good indeed.

■■■■■■_sarah:
IMO it’s better to pay more for a decent sat nav with free updates, than to buy a cheap one and then have to buy/subscribe to monthly updates.
And if you can, get one with live traffic updates.

Check this site;
satnavdebate.co.uk/best-sell … d-kingdom/

My uncle also uses a Garmin Dezl 760 and has nothing but praise for it, and like Alix, he adds a couple of inches to his trailer height so it doesn’t take him down any really tight clearances.

I’ve never know and sat nabs cheap or expensive where you have to pay monthly fees for it.

eagerbeaver:
Mine is a TomTom 5250, its very good indeed.

Hi Eager, the garmin is great as well, I love the Bluetooth quality of it. So much better than the earpiece I had before. I can actually hear people now, especially in a truck :open_mouth:

The one little letdown so far is the petrol station poi’s that show on the screen, they don’t say wether their Hgv accessible or not, I know some/most of them have a sign when you get near them but it might be too late by then!

But other than that, it’s brilliant :grimacing:

I have the 5150 and it was expensive but it is a one off purchase. I have let the live updates lapse as I did not like that function anyway. I use my smartphone to look at the destination before setting off and I take note of the map route to see if there is an old reliable road as a lot of times the satnav sticks rigidly to motorways etc. Sometimes the old favourites like A38, A50 and really good arterial routes will get you there much quicker since highways have not shut them off yet every night :smiley: :smiley:

In the end there is no substitute for having a road map of the UK in your head. The times on night driving I saw lorries parked on the side of the road and the driver with a map out trying to figure a way around a road closed by the lovely highways people :smiley: most of the time I go sailing past and know the alternative but where the satnav is useful is if you know roughly a way around, once you get to the start of that alternative route the satnav will take over and re-plan it accordingly but just watch it is not heading you back to the closed motorway :smiley: :smiley:

alder:
but just watch it is not heading you back to the closed motorway :smiley: :smiley:

That caught me out a few times in my van driver youth, no smartphones back then!
Ah the memories :wink:

ash 001:
I guys im looking at investing in a truckers sat nav and just wondered what peoples thought were on the best ones for an affordable price ect. Ive been looking at this one but just wanted some opinions before I committed Pro Drive 3 IN 1 TRUCK 7" INCH HD SAT NAV LORRY CARAVAN GPS CAR
The link is ebay.co.uk/itm/130605917494? … EBIDX%3AIT its priced at £70!

Ive got this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111607737652?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and done a best offer of £65 and works really well, also got it cause someone recommend it on here

Dan Bear 87:

alder:
but just watch it is not heading you back to the closed motorway :smiley: :smiley:

That caught me out a few times in my van driver youth, no smartphones back then!
Ah the memories :wink:

For some reason Birmingham was the worse city for the Tom Tom trying to get me back on the motorways and I was doing nights on TNT. No matter how much I tried to avoid the M42 (closed highways) or the M6 (closed highways) I knew where I was going and followed signs for A34 but the stupid ■■■■■ inside the tom tom kept trying to navigate me back to the M6 or M42 :smiley:

Thanks for the advise guys im still debating what to get like an old woman, not sure im gonna dig deep and fork out £300 for a sat nav but will wait and see just want one that does the job its supposed to basically because I have a map in case I overcome any difficult situations and I have the most important thing my eyes! :stuck_out_tongue:

ahh the memories! :slight_smile: last time i drove i was carting around a holdall with a to zs of virtually every town and city in the uk.

its much better now, all i need carry is a little lightweight box (well i do have a truckers atlas)

i use that and google maps, or if I use a sat nav, its a tomtom i got from halfords for 70 quid. i opted for that because if there is any issues it is easy to pop into my local shop, not something you can do with ebay.

i dont see any problems using a car sat nav. you have to use your eyes and brain to look for road signs… but thats why they put them there. when i route my journey i look at the atlas and keep to the main roads as much as possible.

if Oxford county council get their way and we are all forced to use a hgv sat nav, i will invest in one of the cheapy ebay ones, i will be dammed if i would fork out 300 quid for a sat nav!