Getting back into it !?

Hi Guys
At the moment I am a self employed carpenter, but as I start to reach a slightly older age ! 61 to be precise, I am finding some of the work I am asked to do, just getting a bit much, with aching muscles and joints when I get up in the morning. :unamused:
About 10 yrs ago, having returned to UK from living overseas, I decided to take my class C and C+E licences, having passed both I started driving class C trucks through agencies, which i did for about 12 months. I never did any HGV1 work though.
During that time I was also doing a bit of carpentry and then ended up getting so much work that I stopped driving.
Anyway I am thinking to start driving again and would like to ask you guys of any of the pros and cons of being an older driver, how often is a medical required, what about CPC how much is it, and can it all be done in one go ? Having the C and C+E on my licence, is their anything else I need to do to use it ? Still not sure if I want to drive Class 1, but would probably start with class2 to begin with.
I,m also hoping to avoid agency work, are there plenty of perm jobs about ? I am based Sudbury Suffolk.
Would really appreciate any thoughts, ideas you might have. Cheers Happy Xmas to all. :smiley:

bandit120:
Hi Guys
At the moment I am a self employed carpenter, but as I start to reach a slightly older age ! 61 to be precise, I am finding some of the work I am asked to do, just getting a bit much, with aching muscles and joints when I get up in the morning. :unamused:

Plenty of aches and pains to be had from truck driving. And you’re not old, you can’t be, you’re the same age as me and I’m not old :wink:

how often is a medical required, what about CPC how much is it, and can it all be done in one go ? Having the C and C+E on my licence, is their anything else I need to do to use it ? Still not sure if I want to drive Class 1, but would probably start with class2 to begin with.

Every five years up to 65, then annually afterwards
DCPC can be had for around £200 if done online, and done in five straight days. But, personally I would not choose this option.
You’ve been out of the business, you’ll be rusty, persuading someone you’re not too rusty will take some salesmanship, you may not be spoiled for choice initially so you’ll probably need to take what you can get, including agency work.

35 hours CPC can be done now either online or in a classroom = under £250 for all 35 are available
Digicard can be got now

Half a day with a trainer in a CE might be an idea

bandit120:
? Having the C and C+E on my licence, is their anything else I need to do to use it ?

So presumably your medical has expired. Would be a good idea to check up what’s actually valid gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Digicard gov.uk/apply-driver-digital-tachograph-card

CPC I believe these are the cheapest, but you decide if they are the best for your circumstances
vr-services.co.uk/category/training/

Class 2 work is more likely to involve hard work (think of the chances of unloading or even handballing the load off yourself.
Class 1 work has the possibility of sitting in one position for a long time. So decide whether you would rather be more active?

Don’t discount agency work as a great route into experience.

I`d agree with the previous posters.

If you have aches and pains, rigid truck shop deliveries may not be for you.
You will need to spend to get your DCPC and medical, but maybe a half day refresher in an artic too?
If you go for an assessment for a dream job and â– â– â– â–  it up because of being a wee bit rusty or not being familiar with modern trucks, you`ll be kicking yourself.

Having set yourself up try some odd work with agency, without burning any of your wood-working boats. See what suits you.

Why not contact local firms asking what you have asked here? See if they would consider offering you help with training if you work with them?You might get lucky and get your cpc and some training thrown in for a promise of a few months work with them etc. If not it may cost you around £400 to get the medical, half a days refresher plus cpc online. Either way good luck with it all!

DHL in Bury St. Edmunds take on new HGV Class 1 drivers.

The 4 on 4 off position involves night shifts from 6pm to 6am, but would be easier than any 5 from 7.

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv+class+ … 7e838842e6

I did a load of online dcpc last year when confined to quarters by Covid.

I’ve always found tbe classroom sessions a bit of a drag, so looked around at other options.

I used traxiontraining for the courses, they were very reasonable and good information.

I’d recommend them definately

Hi All
Thank you for all the up to date advice, didnt realise that I could do the CPC online, I really didnt enjoy the sitting in a class room bit, was never any good at school either :smiley:
So will now get a medical done, then do CPC, will let you know how it goes !! Thanks again to all of you !

bandit120:
Hi All
Thank you for all the up to date advice, didnt realise that I could do the CPC online, I really didnt enjoy the sitting in a class room bit, was never any good at school either :smiley:
So will now get a medical done, then do CPC, will let you know how it goes !! Thanks again to all of you !

Dont forget the digicard :bulb: