Getting and maintaining your licence with Diabetes

Hello all,

Long story short. Ive had type 1 diabetes since I was 5 (27 next month) and I’m wanting to get my licence and spend the rest of my life on the road. I’ve had a look at whats needed to get my licence and I understand the basics of needing 90 days history of blood tests, examinations and multiple forms that need to be filled in. I have also seen that you have to renew your licence every year. I’ve tried looking online for people who have recently got their licence and their experience with getting said licence but to no avail. So if theres any truckers with Type 1 Diabetes and or Type 2’s on insulin my questions are as follows.

1. How was the process of going through each stage of getting your medical?
  2. How long did you have to wait for each examination you had to do?
  3. When looking for jobs have you had an issues with companies when you tell them you are a diabetic and have to renew your licence every year?
  4. If you have renewed your licence, is it as simple as renewing your car licence or is there more examinations that you need to go through?
  5. Would you recommend other diabetics to get their licence or have them save the hassle?

I think thats all I have for now. If theres any more I will either edit the post or just add them as a reply.

Thanks all!

I might be wrong but I didn’t think you could hold a C or CE with type 1? Due to risk of hypo? I had two uncles with T1.
Got a friend T2 who drives C and as long as he can manage the condition without injections I think he’s ok but as you will know they are two different diseases.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Maybe some helpful reading.

gov.uk/government/news/new- … ry-drivers

My old boss had diabetes and he was a HGV licence holder. I think his was managed by diet alone, but he did have to check his sugar levels regularly. And he had to have a medical every year and his licence had to be renewed every year. I don’t remember him having an insulin kit though.

This was early 2000’s when I worked there though with him.

That gov guidance law change suggests it is possible if it is managed correctly but won’t be without hoops to jump through most likely.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk