Truck Driving - Returner

A further update…

I have been assigned a caseworker by the local employability service, and also completed 35 hours of online D-CPC training with VR Services. As was suggested above, there was no exam. I have registered with http://www.theorytest.org.uk and have been going throught the tests there just to get my knowledge built up.
I have also bought a Highway Code, three books from DVSA and the Driver Handbook from Logistics UK, formerly the FTA. My knowledge is still weak on driver’s hours, load width and height limits etc. It’s just a case of reading and practicing. The theory tests I have done have all been completed with scores of between 85 and 96, but mostly 92-94. It would be nice to get 100%.

I am all legal to drive now. My caseworker has contacted a number of local companies. She told me that one had asked for my CV straight away. I suggested that she shouldn’t get excited as that appeared to be their modus operandi from previous experience. I think that they either collect CVs or they go in the round file! She was due to chase them up today, but I have heard nothing from her.

If I haven’t got a job by mid-Nov then I will try to find a training organisation with a residential offering, and the option of guaranteed pass, that can train me for C+E. Before the course starts I will hire a cat C vehicle to have a potter around in as we no longer have an HGV driver trainer here.