Help I can't get a job

I’ll keep it quick and simple I passed my C&E 2 weeks ago, after driving forklifts for 20 plus years I need a career change.
I live in Dundee and I’m willing to drive to surrounding areas but every application I’ve sent out gets knocked back, how the hell do you get that first job does anyone know of any agencies I can give a call or even any companies willing to start newbies.
Cheers

Perhaps going to companies and personally handing your CV to the TM may give you a better shot :bulb:

Have work gear in car boot

Any friends already in the industry who can mention you to their boss?
That’s how I got my start, a few days after passing.

DarrenFraser:
I’ll keep it quick and simple I passed my C&E 2 weeks ago, after driving buses for 20 plus years I need a career change.
I live in Glasgow and I’m willing to drive to surrounding areas but every application I’ve sent out gets knocked back, how the hell do you get that first job does anyone know of any agencies I can give a call or even any companies willing to start newbies.
Cheers

Its only been 2 weeks give it a chance.

How many places have you applied for.

You could try registering with a few Agencies to gain some experience first.

This kind of thing always makes me laugh. Just a few months ago, companies everywhere were complaining they had trucks sitting idle and losing money because of a driver shortage.

So loads of people rush to do their HGV licenses and then find no one will take them on unless they have 2 years experience.

I have 3 friends that got their Class 2 a while ago and struggled to get work. Every job application getting knocked back as they didn’t have the experience even though the jobs were readvertised week after week.

The companies will only have themselves to blame when the experienced drivers retire and no one has any experience. Some companies want drivers but they want someone else to give them the experience first. Absolutely no sympathy for them when they can’t get anyone to fill the role.

I’m just outside Glasgow and passed in April, I’ve got a job with wren in Lanark.

Maxi offered me a job but it was tramping which I didn’t want, horners working for lid will take you on but they do a lot of loading and unloading,

Muller are also willing to take you on but there’s a driving assessment, also farm foods take on new passes.

Some of these aren’t great apparently but would get you through the door

Make a list of all the HGV agencies in the Glasgow area.

You can find them on google maps by searching “hgv agency glasgow”.

google.co.uk/maps/search/hg … 986,14.15z

Phone each agency in the area, and ask them if they have any work for new hgv drivers.

Most won’t have any clients that accept new passes, but you might get lucky.

Glasgow might not be a good area for new passes, due to too many drivers in the area.

DarrenFraser:
I’ll keep it quick and simple I passed my C&E 2 weeks ago, after driving buses for 20 plus years I need a career change.
I live in Glasgow and I’m willing to drive to surrounding areas but every application I’ve sent out gets knocked back, how the hell do you get that first job does anyone know of any agencies I can give a call or even any companies willing to start newbies.
Cheers

2 weeks is nothing. I passed in May and still looking…

Steevo25:
This kind of thing always makes me laugh. Just a few months ago, companies everywhere were complaining they had trucks sitting idle and losing money because of a driver shortage.

So loads of people rush to do their HGV licenses and then find no one will take them on unless they have 2 years experience.

I have 3 friends that got their Class 2 a while ago and struggled to get work. Every job application getting knocked back as they didn’t have the experience even though the jobs were readvertised week after week.

The companies will only have themselves to blame when the experienced drivers retire and no one has any experience. Some companies want drivers but they want someone else to give them the experience first. Absolutely no sympathy for them when they can’t get anyone to fill the role.

Very true last year companies were throwing thousands around trying to get you to leave your current employer and now it’s a don’t apply without experience brick wall.
What about the run up to Xmas do companies drop their strict rules to just get you in the door for a few weeks.

Govt email today. Tests up 11,197 (74%) in Q1 2022 over 2020.

gov.uk/government/news/huge … mmediately

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

Same, passed in May, 99% of companies want 6 months to 2 years experience. I’ve just applied for DHL for a second time at the same depot. I had a small reversing assessment and they said I’d need a few days training before a final assessment. Heard nothing back. Now they advertise the job again a month later :neutral_face:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

Marky-p:

Papaya:
Same, passed in May, 99% of companies want 6 months to 2 years experience. I’ve just applied for DHL for a second time at the same depot. I had a small reversing assessment and they said I’d need a few days training before a final assessment. Heard nothing back. Now they advertise the job again a month later :neutral_face:

I should clarify…I have actually been given 3 job offers, one of which I accepted but the job didn’t work out in the end. The other 2 jobs were just too far to commute. Another job has asked me to do their assessment again as I was very close to passing their reversing standards so I may be doing that next week.

I do have a couple of other options coming up soon via agencies…so it’s not like I’ve had no luck at all.

I will just keep plugging away until I get there as its not in my nature to give up anyway.

You’ll get there eventually, hang in there.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

Marky-p:

Papaya:

I should clarify…I have actually been given 3 job offers, one of which I accepted but the job didn’t work out in the end. The other 2 jobs were just too far to commute. Another job has asked me to do their assessment again as I was very close to passing their reversing standards so I may be doing that next week.

I do have a couple of other options coming up soon via agencies…so it’s not like I’ve had no luck at all.

I will just keep plugging away until I get there as its not in my nature to give up anyway.

You’ll get there eventually, hang in there.

A reversing exercise puts the fear of god into me I know I’d struggle with this assessment I spent about 30 minutes reversing before being handed my certificate.

It takes a little while to get the hang of it Darren. Don’t let it get to you, relax and take your time! [emoji16]

I passed in Feb, got screwed by DVLA taking 4 months to process my licence. Lost several opportunities during that time as all the companies wanted my paperwork in order to even interview.

Still looking for a job despite applying to every company under the sun. Had 3 assessment drives, which AFAIK all went well, only to be told “no job for you - come back when you’ve got 6 months experience”. This, from companies advertising that they accept new passes!

Is there any point in going for C+E or would I be in the same position? For better or worse I’m now considering driving buses instead; maybe I’ll have more luck? I need a job!

How come this thread ended up with so many suggestions and even job offers?

Is it because a location was stated?

r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

Work around Stockport class 2

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

I passed in April, also still looking.

Evri have just opened a enormous distribution centre on my doorstep with 150 bays.

Agency sent me for assessment and they took one look at my licence and sent me home.

chriswvtr:

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

I passed in April, also still looking.

Evri have just opened a enormous distribution centre on my doorstep with 150 bays.

Agency sent me for assessment and they took one look at my licence and sent me home.

Did they give you any explanation, or was it just the obvious no experience?