Tests early in the day

I’m in the middle of my 8 day course. So I’m learning how that translates into hours of tuition.
It’s 7am til 3pm, 2 trainees to an instructor, so 64 hours total in theory :unamused:
I’m not trying to whinge too much, because I’m happy with my progress so far, happy with my instructor, happy with the price I’ve paid.
But things to be wary of before booking or paying for your training.
My trainer was on holiday the first day - so we had someone else the first day - could be a good or a bad thing, different perspective so I’ll leave that as neutral.
2:1 training - you might need to stand up for yourself to ensure you get your fair share. Depends on the trainer how well they divide the time.
I was paired up with someone doing a 5 day course, so I get a new person next week - so that’ll be 2 Reversing tests that I’ll not be getting tuition during (I guess thats back to the division of time and can easily be accommodated.
What started me off was, my co-trainee had an afternoon test (passed) - so I get the remaining hour of the day to myself, whereas my test is 9:30 so the remaining 4.5 hours will be lost to me.
I guess it’s the luck of the draw?
Thanks for putting up with my stream of consciousness!

There is nothing wrong with 2-to-1 training (when done properly!) but it sounds like you aren’t being treated fairly whatsoever.

Last week I heard of a school completing the off-road 3A reversing/coupling training for cat CE on a 5-to-1 ratio: 5 trainees, trained by 1 instructor, using 1 vehicle. I’m not saying its impossible, but I wonder how many of those trainees queried the duration and ratio before handing over their hard earned, and subsequently saw it as good value for money?

When I was teaching 2 to 1 I was very aware to split the time evenly between the trainees
That could mean giving one trainee more reversing time than the other but letting the other trainee have more on road time which is what happened to me when I was the trainee back in the 80s

I ensured 1 to 1 for my training.
Couldn’t be doing shared instruction.

No way I could do more than 1:1 as a trainee. I’m paying to learn and do, not watch.

TruckerGuy:
No way I could do more than 1:1 as a trainee. I’m paying to learn and do, not watch.

Lots of learning whilst observing

ROG:

TruckerGuy:

Agreed.

But my main point, might have gotten lost I know, was you get your test on your last day, and it could be very early in the day ( regardless of 1:1 or 2:1).

It’s well documented that I, as an instructor, prefer 1:1. As said, 2:1 done properly is absolutely fine. But, done badly as above, it’s dreadful.

The most important thing I take from the OP is how vital it is to be clear on what you’re buying. You would with a 3 piece suite, why not with driver training?

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
It’s well documented that I, as an instructor, prefer 1:1. As said, 2:1 done properly is absolutely fine. But, done badly as above, it’s dreadful.

The most important thing I take from the OP is how vital it is to be clear on what you’re buying. You would with a 3 piece suite, why not with driver training?

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

Most of us know what we want from a 3-piece suite as we have years of experience using them. When purchasing a training course we are in the same situation as an Eskimo buying a suite when he’s never even sat on one in his life!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Fair enough. But it’s not hard to ask how many hours spread over what period. It’s also easy to ask to visit the training centre. And then visit 2 or 3 others.

I suppose I’m encouraging folks to do some research.

Pete S

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Pete S:
Fair enough. But it’s not hard to ask how many hours spread over what period. It’s also easy to ask to visit the training centre. And then visit 2 or 3 others.

Pete S

How does that save you from a test on your final full day of training at 8am?

ROG:

TruckerGuy:

If the person you’re watching is proficient, then yes, but if they’re a newbie making lots of mistakes?

stu675:

Pete S:

Pete S

How does that save you from a test on your final full day of training at 8am?

Plenty of rest the night before! Treat the final day of training as part of the test, so when the test actually happens, you’re already in the mind-set.

TruckerGuy:

ROG:

TruckerGuy:

If the person you’re watching is proficient, then yes, but if they’re a newbie making lots of mistakes?

Then it would be similar to swatting for an exam where you go back to the start

TruckerGuy:

ROG:

TruckerGuy:

You can learn just as much by observing someone making mistakes as you do by observing a good drive. Of course if you just sit and admire the scenery you’ll learn SQR(FA).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Post removed as posts being edited by admin.

trevorking1964:
I ensured 1 to 1 for my training.
Couldn’t be doing shared instruction.

I am the same, does my head in except, we did that on the buses and that was actually fun and I passed. Unlike my Class 1 because I’m an idiot!!

Done mine on 2:1 ratio, was great. I think id find driving for long periods trying to concentrate on how to drive for the test really difficult.
We done 4 test routes per day, 2 each with some reversing and coupling at the end of each day. was great,

if I done first route then could jump in and watch the next guy with less pressure and actually take a bit more in then visa versa. on one of the days the other fella couldn’t come in to the afternoon as he’d a funeral,

I done 2 routes back to back and was mentally draining and found myself making stupid mistakes. Instructor pointed out to me that on the test it’ll be one route and he feels thats the most he likes you to do in one go and to be fair after that I agreed with him (even if he was just trying to make me feel better bout a not great 2nd drive!)

Anyway, got through the class 2 and class 1 both doing 2:1 not a bother at all with the same instructor at the time

I’ve got my 2:1 Cat C training booked and my test is at 0815 on the last day :open_mouth: The way my training company do it is, on the last day, they give each candidate 2h 1:1 prior to the test, so it will be a 0615 start for me on test day, instead of the usual 0830 start on the previous days.

driveress:
I’ve got my 2:1 Cat C training booked and my test is at 0815 on the last day :open_mouth: The way my training company do it is, on the last day, they give each candidate 2h 1:1 prior to the test, so it will be a 0615 start for me on test day, instead of the usual 0830 start on the previous days.

Sounds good! At least you’ll get a lay in compared to working in transport with 4am starts! [emoji6]