Class 2 first job

Good day Gentleman,

I am really sorry for not replying for a while now. It’s been a busy period for me.

To update you all on my ventures:
I had a job at Biffa - waste management company at St. Leonards on sea depot as a driver. It was really good job and i have enjoyed it. But unfortunately, the drivers are also required to load the bins ( as management described “on odd days” ). Turns out, the ratio of driving and loading was 1:4 (1 day driving and 4 days loading). I have had a chat with the manager and i explained to him politely, that i quit a good job and came here only because you advertised for a driver and now i’m basically loading. I also said, that i am not afraid of hard work and i fully understand the small print where new guy must go through every role, to understand how the business works, but i have been loading bins for the last month at this time. He answered “now we don’t have driving positions available, but because i have proven that i am a hard worker, he will put me in a seat once one becomes available”. Sounds good, but here’s the twist, the week before that conversation, two drivers resigned plus Biffa advertised on their www for a new driver position.
I would understand, if i would cause problems or some accidents but i have driven on multiple different rounds, reversed on such narrow roads where i had to fold in both mirrors, every crew i was with, were happy and 2 of them requested me to be their driver.
So to conclude this chapter, Dustcarts are really good to practice and gain skills very quickly, but unfortunately management of that depot do not take you seriously or maybe there’s a lack of communication.

My next chapter began just a week ago with Brakes, as a multidrop driver at Brighton and so far so good. The company is really professional and treat you with respect. The drivers are friendly and willing to help, which is so important for a new comers like me.
Yes, it is a hard work and cold at times, as the freezer in my lorry reaches -23C, but i really appreciate that they gave me a chance i’ve been waiting for a long time.

To summarise, you guys were right, saying that the market for drivers starts around February/March :slight_smile:
Now, i am waiting for my practical test on class 1 and it’ll be a long one, because there is a long waiting list due to lockdown.

Thank you all for the support you have offered through my journey and i do hope you will check this post at some points, as i will keep updating some stuff.
I hope you’ll have enjoyable weekend!!!