O licence recovery truck

I’ve been reading but can’t find clear definitive answer I can understand ,
Do I need a o licence to operate a recovery truck over 3.5 tonnes ?

Gixerbaz:

Unless anything has changed, it would depend on what you are using it for.

1. Recovery of a broken down / accident damaged vehicle, no O licence.

2. Transportation of a vehicle or other goods for reward other than recovering from above, O licence required.

Taking something from 1) from a storage yard to bodyshop / garage for repair could be a grey area.

Have a read of this

avrouk.com/images/ul/guide- … ations.pdf

for a starting point but also check it’s still up to date.

Gixerbaz:

Let’s assume the vehicle satisfies the definitions of a recovery truck.
As above, it does depend on what is being carried, it’s very limited and could serious limit your business to do recovery only.
IMHO the above example of shuffling a veh from storage to repairer would clearly be just moving a vehicle from a to b, and not be exempt.
For the inconvenience involved, having an o licence makes better business sense.

Acorn:

Gixerbaz:

Let’s assume the vehicle satisfies the definitions of a recovery truck.
As above, it does depend on what is being carried, it’s very limited and could serious limit your business to do recovery only.
IMHO the above example of shuffling a veh from storage to repairer would clearly be just moving a vehicle from a to b, and not be exempt.
For the inconvenience involved, having an o licence makes better business sense.

I have a full time job atm so only doing it at the weekend and evenings to see how it goes , im not looking to be transporting cars just roadside recovery for now , if it goes well I will look more into doing it full time

If it is entirely and only roadside recovery then no o licence, but, shuffling a mates car, taking anything else on the back would need one. Obviously appropriate business isnurance.
Presume youve already looked at tacho and when you’d be in scope or exempt.

Acorn:
If it is entirely and only roadside recovery then no o licence, but, shuffling a mates car, taking anything else on the back would need one. Obviously appropriate business isnurance.
Presume youve already looked at tacho and when you’d be in scope or exempt.

Indeed I’ve looked at tacho use ect and there’s also a lot of other research to do ,and I want to get some ivr training sorted ,

If you’re trying to set up and are limited because you wa t to avoid an O licence, then it’s so restricting, you’re already heading towards a difficult business model. So the question is why restrict your opportunities?

Acorn:
If you’re trying to set up and are limited because you wa t to avoid an O licence, then it’s so restricting, you’re already heading towards a difficult business model. So the question is why restrict your opportunities?

If it goes well then I will get a licence , do transporting ect collecting scrappers ,
I’ve applied to all my local recovery firms , no reply or not got a job no experience blah blah so I’ll have ago myself then I’ll have experience and pos my own business ,but for now it will be a kind of hobby, I already have a job so not worried about making 1000s just enough to run the equipment ect

You know picking up scrappers would need an O licence, even as a hobby

Acorn:

He did say get a licence before picking up scrappers.

Baz, I’m interested, how will you “advertise”? For work i.e. how will you turn on and off the breakdown calls as and when you’re available?

stu675:

Acorn:

Baz, I’m interested, how will you “advertise”? For work i.e. how will you turn on and off the breakdown calls as and when you’re available?

My dad could help out he used to race cars so experienced at strapping them down ect , if I get a small truck or car and trailer , I’ll see if there’s a 1 man band in the next town and ask if he would take the ones I can’t do, maybe get a commission on the leads ? Create an answer phone message giving the other number to contact ect ,something like that maybe ?

stu675:

Acorn:

Sorry, let’s clarify, would need a full national licence ( needing qualified Tm etc) rather than just a restricted

A

So how would and do 1 man bands get an o licence needing a transport manager ?

Gixerbaz:
So how would and do 1 man bands get an o licence needing a transport manager ?

Either pass the exam as the 1 man band of have an external transport manager. Long term it’s cheaper to get own CPC.
IMHO, the only potential challenge then is keeping yourself fully compliant. But there are ways to deal with that

Can you do what you have in mind with a 3.5t unit instead?

njl:

If I had a 10-12 ton wagon I could recover much bigger vehicles , doing the exam for transport manager might be beyond me ? But not impossible

Gixerbaz:

njl:

If I had a 10-12 ton wagon I could recover much bigger vehicles , doing the exam for transport manager might be beyond me ? But not impossible

Budget for an external TM, then when you pass, that’s bonus money. But don’t undercestimate the value of an outsiders perspective

Acorn:

Gixerbaz:

njl:

Budget for an external TM, then when you pass, that’s bonus money. But don’t undercestimate the value of an outsiders perspective

You seem to have a good knowledge about all this ! if I had a 3.5 ton unit I could do haulage ,ie move running cars for reward without an o licence