MAN TGM EURO 6 Intercooler engine issues

I have a Euro 6 MAN TGM *2015. We’ve had ongoing intercooler issues and replacement intercoolers since we brought it new. Eventually, the conrod came off and through engine block which we believe is down to faulty intercooler and water in the oil.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experienced similar issues?.

Kscovo:
I have a Euro 6 MAN TGM *2015. We’ve had ongoing intercooler issues and replacement intercoolers since we brought it new. Eventually, the conrod came off and through engine block which we believe is down to faulty intercooler and water in the oil.

All sorts of possibilities especially if the engine ECU has been mapped. Increased boost pressure weakens and then blows the intercooler, over time the turbo then has to work harder to maintain boost and possibly fails chucking debris into the induction. The loss of pressure and heat dissipation capacity from the leaking intercooler raises exhaust gas temperatures, possibly sufficiently on a long climb to result in piston seizure which breaks the conrod. Said exhaust gas temperatures equally capable of degrading liner seals or head gaskets allowing coolant into sump. Unlikely maybe but not impossible.

cav551:

Kscovo:

All sorts of possibilities especially if the engine ECU has been mapped. Increased boost pressure weakens and then blows the intercooler, over time the turbo then has to work harder to maintain boost and possibly fails chucking debris into the induction. The loss of pressure and heat dissipation capacity from the leaking intercooler raises exhaust gas temperatures, possibly sufficiently on a long climb to result in piston seizure which breaks the conrod. Said exhaust gas temperatures equally capable of degrading liner seals or head gaskets allowing coolant into sump. Unlikely maybe but not impossible.

Many people have had terrible experiences with MAN engine failures, but by 2015 and with Euro 6, they seemed better.
I’m not a time served mechanic, but I’ve never known a vehicle with an induction system leak on the positive pressure side, not to experience a significant loss of power, and I don’t think there is much a turbo can do in the way of “working harder” in order to make up for the pressure being lost further along, on the way to the cylinders, unless the loss of resistance due to the leak permits it to revolve faster and eventually self destruct.
I’d be interested to know why the exhaust temp would increase, unless due to incomplete combustion of the fuel air mix, and again, the effect of that would be significant power loss, and, pretty quickly, an emissions fault being flagged with threats of limp mode being applied.
I reckon a clumsy remap is the most likely cause, but having said that, a lot of MAN engines which had never been remapped still went to engine heaven long before their time.

A difficult line to follow and it has taken some time to find a decent supporting explanation, even if it is one which requires lateral thinking. I would certainly agree that there would be a reduction in power and an increase in exhaust smoke. The smoke being a result as said of incomplete combustion. This would also mean an increase in soot contamination of the exhaust system including the EGR system and significantly the variable geometry turbo. Assuming that the Intercooler failures are not a sudden dramatic event but a progressive event - pinhole to crack, the reduction in power and level of smoke may well not be noticed initially. I agree that the engine management system ought to be intervening, however we seem to be referring to mutiple intercooler failures resulting, and an historical element of now prolonged operation at just below a critical level. Having found the following video hopefully it hints at how this engine destruction could occur, particularly if engine mapping has been involved . I have kept in mind that aluminium melts at 1220 deg F and operation at maximum torque. It doesn’t need a particular level to be exceeded for disaster to strike, but an accumulation of occasions when it has been almost reached can result, as in so many cases, in a sudden event following.

youtube.com/watch?v=gjRHrT5Ipo4

garrettmotion.com/turbochar … l-engines/