Best 18Tonne curtainsider for mpg

I currently run a 7.5T Isuzu Euro 5 C/S with a tail lift and get about 15MPG. I’m not sure if I should get an 18T curtainsider or a 7.2T Iveco as they give about 24 mpg. There seems to be a lot more work available for an 18T but I’m unsure about the cost of running one and will it be worthwhile to move up or not.

I was wondering which 18T C/S with a tail lift has the best mpg and is reliable and is there a big difference between an 18T and a 26T?
It would have to be a Euro 6 as the CAZ charges are everywhere now.

Abs96:
I currently run a 7.5T Isuzu Euro 5 C/S with a tail lift and get about 15MPG. I’m not sure if I should get an 18T curtainsider or a 7.2T Iveco as they give about 24 mpg. There seems to be a lot more work available for an 18T but I’m unsure about the cost of running one and will it be worthwhile to move up or not.

I was wondering which 18T C/S with a tail lift has the best mpg and is reliable and is there a big difference between an 18T and a 26T?

Can’t say for the MPG side put the pay load and monoverablity of a 26 t to a 18t are worlds apart
A 26 t turns better than a 18t and has about 6/7t more capacity vs a 18t with a similar sized load area , also more liveable cab for a tramper
If day cab look at DAF LF ‘s loads about
If need a sleeper look at CF’s or MAN TGM or Volvo .
Don’t get a Euro cargo or Claptros

Abs96:

Dafs with the ■■■■■■■ are good on fuel and could be better if weren’t fitted with a 6 speed box. The MAN TGM weren’t bad in either man or auto, but I would a avoid the 5cyl Scania. Don’t know about the new Mercs but hearing that they give bother.

i drive 18t daf 22 plate , mpg is around 12 ish ,however i use pto a lot (builders merchant). cab is tiny ,no leg room at 5"11
12 speed auto box is diabolical , pulling out of a junction is a nightmare it selects a lower gear than needed then when you are halfway out the gearbox has a meeting to decide which gear is next , having made the decision and selected said gear it then realises that all momentum has been lost and the whole process starts again . going up a hill and its worse ,put it in manual mode to save the embarrassment of it stalling . reversing slowly downhill automatically puts you in kangaroo mode . if however you only plan on driving somewhere reasonably flat or on motorways its ok. the 12 plate 8 speed manual was a lovely wee thing that you could actually “drive”

big al st:

Abs96:

Dafs with the ■■■■■■■ are good on fuel and could be better if weren’t fitted with a 6 speed box. The MAN TGM weren’t bad in either man or auto, but I would a avoid the 5cyl Scania. Don’t know about the new Mercs but hearing that they give bother.

You do get the 12 speed as-mid box with the ■■■■■■■ in a DAF LF

2019 Mercedes Actros 1824 sleeper and 1500kg tail lift so it’s carrying a bit of weight all the time.

Had it up to 17.2mpg and normally achieve 14.9mpg loaded. Takes a bit of self control to get the figures - max speed 52.8mph, cruise set ASAP, use distance separator, retarder, lane assist, basically everything the truck offers, turn it all on and let it do it’s thing.

Town traffic kills it. So does standing traffic where you’re on and off the brake/accelerator. Never had less than 12mpg

Friday afternoon - all bets are off. Foot down. Warp speed Mr Spock. Take the M6 toll. Make it so number 1. Still normally get 12 mpg and home for tea.

norb:

big al st:

Abs96:

You do get the 12 speed as-mid box with the ■■■■■■■ in a DAF LF

Yes I know but the rental companys wont pay extra for it. They are more interested on putting a big high roof cab on it instead. Best Daf we had was the old CF250 with the Eaton 9 speed manual. Just got a new Volvo FE and luckily its a 12 speed.