Owner op.

HI everyone I’ve been wanting to buy my own unit for long time now I know the it’s very expensive with the operating licence money you need in the bank, insurance ect and to run the wagon without any money coming in for about 3 months but has any one heard of company’s financing this or helping people with it because some mentioned to me amazon helps out. And who has had experience in this area aswell as with amazon with be a great help.

Are you going to be exclusively working for Amazon?
If so, it’s all leased trucks.

stu675:
Are you going to be exclusively working for Amazon?
If so, it’s all leased trucks.

■■? I don’t follow Stu, please explain.

My boss has about a dozen units, all sign written Amazon, parked on PYT (park you truck) place and all we do is haul Amazon trailers.
I’m aware that’s not the only way to work for Amazon because I see Maritime, Slam and others at the depots.
If you go all in with Amazon it seems to be very regimented, you have to get your unit from Close Brothers, fuel from Shell and park at PYT. Although maybe that makes it all easy (probably get as much work as you want if they accept you). I don’t know anything about the money side though.

Re Amazon, that might be true for one area, but not nationwide.

I had a client who bought two S/H units from some dodgy outfit darn sarf and used them to haul Amazon trailers around the north east and down to the south. He really wasn’t cut out to be a compliant OD and we had to part company after his multiple transgressions.

Re the OP, It might look like an easy gig to get tied in with Amazon, but I’d recommend doing extensive personal research before going down that route, not only into the Amazon-linkage but get yourself on a good OLAT course too and be sure you know exactly what’s involved in getting your own O-licence.

First things would be:

1. Have you already got a TMCPC yourself? If not are you going to study for it or get an External TM?
  2. Have you got an Operating Centre in mind? a dedicated truck stop if near enough to home can be a cheap option
  3. Do you have any business knowledge/experience? Have you done any costings? How would paying for your ETM impinge on your profitability?
  4. Where will your £8000 Financial Standing come from? Personal credit card? Guaranteed OD from the bank? Do you have a good Credit Score?
  5. Who’s going to be your Maintenance Provider? Will he look after any third-party trailers as well as your unit? NB: 3PTs are the O-licence holder’s maintenance responsibility, it’s not just your unit you need to cost for.

your starting on the wrong foot

Trckerlife22:
HI everyone I’ve been wanting to buy my own unit for long time now I know the it’s very expensive with the operating licence money you need in the bank, insurance ect and to run the wagon without any money coming in for about 3 months but has any one heard of company’s financing this or helping people with it because some mentioned to me amazon helps out. And who has had experience in this area aswell as with amazon with be a great help.

Only experience I had with Amazon was looking at their ad hoc load board and laughing at the rates on there. Their rates were approx 50-60% of what I normally charge. I didn’t bother sending them my insurance when it was due for renewal so they stopped my access to the load board. I didn’t do any work for them.

I appreciate you wanting to get off the ground with a truck, speak to a finance provider, if you want to borrow money someone normally has a finance product available for most uses.

My advice is to keep your eyes open if you’re driving for someone for an opportunity to work directly for a customer. Try to get some work in place before you jump in with both feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coiler:
Only experience I had with Amazon was looking at their ad hoc load board and laughing at the rates on there. Their rates were approx 50-60% of what I normally charge.

Would love to know what they offer!

stu675:

coiler:
Only experience I had with Amazon was looking at their ad hoc load board and laughing at the rates on there. Their rates were approx 50-60% of what I normally charge.

You would think they would entice you in with decent rates, but these were pretty laughable. I don’t know what rates you get with a dedicated truck in their colours, can’t see it being much.

stu675:

coiler:

Google “Amazon logistics affiliates program,” register interest and you’ll be invited on to a webinar, you’ll find out all about it.
Coiler is a good bloke but does have a bee in his bonnet about Amazon, he’s talking about Relay, Affiliates is a totally different kettle of fish, how well you do comes down to you being able to have driver availability 365 days per year, if you’ve got a driver you get paid whether they have work or not. Oh, and you have to agree to put 10 on for them, so if you only want to be an OD it’s a no go.

acd1202:

stu675:

coiler:

Google “Amazon logistics affiliates program,” register interest and you’ll be invited on to a webinar, you’ll find out all about it.
Coiler is a good bloke but does have a bee in his bonnet about Amazon, he’s talking about Relay, Affiliates is a totally different kettle of fish, how well you do comes down to you being able to have driver availability 365 days per year, if you’ve got a driver you get paid whether they have work or not. Oh, and you have to agree to put 10 on for them, so if you only want to be an OD it’s a no go.

Thanks. I think it’s Relay that I do. 365 days and 10 units sounds right.

acd1202:

stu675:

coiler:

You’re quite right, I don’t have experience of Amazon Affiliates. I only have a bee in my bonnet with Relay as the rates they offer are so dire.