Drivers hours

We operate a small fleet of 4 trucks on a restricted o licence……
Our drivers are golden when it comes to drivers hours and wtd….

Agency drivers we have to cover drivers annual leave or sick days on the other had are not! Every time without fail they seem to manage an infringement, i print off an infringement letter and email it over to the recruitment company we use, which doesn’t seem to improve anything, any driver that does come and work for us signs a declaration to confirm they understand the rules……

What are my options in trying to improve the outcome moving forward ?

I letter explaining driving hours?
I mean the truck flashes up like a Christmas tree when there is 15 minutes left and a break is need

Thanks for any advice in resolving this matter [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be proactive on the days / shifts when there are agency drivers. Look at remote downloads, check during the shift, look at the telematics.
If we know they are a challenge, then sitting back is not an option. Is it lapse as a manager to wait days/ weeks to check the compliance when we could do it on the day, and often get it sorted before they sign off. What’s wrong with checking they are compliant during the shift.
Yes, it may be a little extra work, but that’s the offset of putting a vehicle out rather than being parked up whilst the usual driver is away.

Agency drivers only turn up for the money, so write into the contract that there will be a financial penalty if there is an infringement. Also as said, check for infringements before signing their timesheet.
Just like you would add an admin charge for processing their speeding ticket, add an admin charge of £30 for processing their infringement paperwork. Make sure they know in advance, preferably before turning up.

This is why agency drivers generally have a bad rep - as someone whose done a fair bit of agency driving myself, I know there is frequently a frosty reception when you turn up at a new place.

The good, compliant drivers in an agency usually find theirselves requested by specific companies once they’re found to be reliable, so other people are left with the inexperienced or undesirable.

Usually there are a variety of agencies companies can call on, maybe try a different source? No harm in putting something in writing to the agency you’re currently using, tell them they’re not up to scratch and why.

I’m not sure you’ll get far levying charges etc, it is tantamount to a deduction and it is illegal to withhold or deduct wages without the employees consent, and that isn’t going to happen.

I had a conversation recently with a company solicitor regarding a driver who threw the towel in spontaneously (ie spat his dummy) and didn’t respond to requests to come in to give us a final tacho download. I suggested we could make the download a condition of releasing the wages, the solicitor unequivocally said “No!”

Acorn’s suggestion of monitoring during the shift is fine if you have remote downloading, not everyone has this benefit.

Zac_A:
This is why agency drivers generally have a bad rep - as someone whose done a fair bit of agency driving myself, I know there is frequently a frosty reception when you turn up at a new place.

The good, compliant drivers in an agency usually find theirselves requested by specific companies once they’re found to be reliable, so other people are left with the inexperienced or undesirable.

Usually there are a variety of agencies companies can call on, maybe try a different source? No harm in putting something in writing to the agency you’re currently using, tell them they’re not up to scratch and why.

I’m not sure you’ll get far levying charges etc, it is tantamount to a deduction and it is illegal to withhold or deduct wages without the employees consent, and that isn’t going to happen.

I had a conversation recently with a company solicitor regarding a driver who threw the towel in spontaneously (ie spat his dummy) and didn’t respond to requests to come in to give us a final tacho download. I suggested we could make the download a condition of releasing the wages, the solicitor unequivocally said “No!”

Acorn’s suggestion of monitoring during the shift is fine if you have remote downloading, not everyone has this benefit.

A supplying agency is a B2B transaction, so a “debit note” for whatever you feel is right won`t upset the apple cart, unless you are on your knees with the agency and you need them more than they need you :open_mouth:

If someone is playing “silly buggers” just write out a cheque, post dated for sometime next year, and tell them to come and collect it personally, and don`t forget your digi card…you are not withholding anything then are you :wink:

:laughing: Postdated cheques, there’s a blast from the past. I’m quite sure my clients will have done a lot of that in their past

We generally get by without agencies, we have one guy in the yard who’s a back up driver, and beyond that, someone always seems to know someone looking for a shift (mainly Poles so far)

Zac_A:
:lol: Postdated cheques, there’s a blast from the past. I’m quite sure my clients will have done a lot of that in their past

We generally get by without agencies, we have one guy in the yard who’s a back up driver, and beyond that, someone always seems to know someone looking for a shift (mainly Poles so far)

Can`t beat a cheque for “emergencies” especially with a 2023 date on :laughing:

We have remote downloading, which saves a fortune in time and data capture, which in turn nips any strange behaviour in the bud, especially when the analysis is there for all to see the following week :wink:

Remote downloading, it’s the way to go, but I struggle to get my client to put their hand in their pocket for anything other than the basics, they think TMs come with a magic wand to solve all problems automatically without any extra expenses.

Zac_A:
Remote downloading, it’s the way to go, but I struggle to get my client to put their hand in their pocket for anything other than the basics, they think TMs come with a magic wand to solve all problems automatically without any extra expenses.

Oh such great words of wisdom :smiley:

Is there enough training these days suppled to new drivers in
n the use of tachos

There’s never enough… :laughing:

Delivering training is one thing, getting people to actually do what you’ve told them they need to do, Aye, there’s the rub.

frogman:
Is there enough training these days suppled to new drivers in
n the use of tachos

Only once in a job, it has no place in the licence test other than some theory questions.

I’m going to look into telematics more, seems the most convenient…… In The meantime a review of there digi at the end of each day is going to be a must, I appreciate all the advice, the running theme seems to be spot the problem and be proactive to stop the problem [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is telematics the same as microlise? How would that help ? Seems to be being universally slated in another thread.

stu675:
Is telematics the same as microlise? How would that help ? Seems to be being universally slated in another thread.

There are different grades of telematics, from the ■■■■ pointy shoe OCD type through to the ones that just let the driver get on with his mission and you interrogate the info for what you need [IMO]

Microlise is the APS-OCD version loved by organisations with loads of staff on the wrong side of the desk trying to justify their existence :unamused:

That`s my take on it anyway :open_mouth:

stu675:

E know telematics ranges from simply telling us where the vehicle,is and tracks their route +we can look on our computer and see where they are and have been. We can set boundaries on maps and when our vehicle crosses those boundaries, it triggers an alert at the office + handy to show when they arrive at delivery or near a low bridge + these are geofences.
Then we start to also extract info from the vehicle, from its mpg, braking and in turn harsh braking, harsh acceleration etc.
the likes of micronise +and loads of others package that info up to make it easier for you to look at and analyse.
Now put a “downloaded” on the tacho and you can monitor the data from the tacho remotely rather than having to plug in a downloaded. Again, how the data is presented is where the big players vary.

My god I could not wait to drive for one of you lot …no wonder there is a shortage of drivers…you want to step back and look at yourselves :imp:

stu675:

Telematics is the generic term for tracking and all the other stuff the big boys like to use…

Dont fall for sales spiel, you just need the cameras [forward facing & DVS], the tracker to see where your "asset" is, and a remote download for the tacho, which saves a lot of hassle chasing drivers for their digi card ~~Its a lot easier if you have everything with one decent supplier, steer clear of the packages sold by your fuel card suppliers ect......~~ ~~We were recommended a supplier back in 2015 from a very well-respected operator, and its proved to be a godsend regarding the chancers who try it on with spurious claims regarding your driver, to drivers who cant seem to steer in a straight line & or pass a Costa without needing a brew :wink:~~
competitivetracking.co.uk
Speak to Tim who owns the business, he responds very very fast if you have any issues, and they are constantly upgrading their system, so you are always ahead of the pack [IMO]…

fuse:
My god I could not wait to drive for one of you lot …no wonder there is a shortage of drivers…you want to step back and look at yourselves :imp:

Are you an operator ?

Do you have chancers trying to skin you on a daily basis with their very dodgy claims ?

Do you work with chancers who cheat & generally annoy the good lads ?

Do you realise that the insurance companies dictate what you need, or they won`t cover you ?

I wonder if you realise that if you are covered from all angles, your nuts are not on the block ?

Have you ever been up in front of the TC or had DVSA knock on your door for a chat and soon depart once they see you are a responsible operator & take your duty of care very seriously ?

Have you ever been in a “crash for cash” incident where your driver has nearly killed the tossers, and where the Police were convinced that your driver was the guilty party, until they were put back in their box due to our telematics ?

Yay / Nay ?

I`ll wait :unamused:

If you have that problem may be your not selective enough on who you employ…any tom ■■■■ and harry is a bad bet I was once told that “drivers are ten a penny” the man he was talking to said" yes but good drivers are not…the driver hours and conditions are stuck in the dark ages that is why the better drivers have chosen to leave