Mercedes Actros 1824 Rigid knock on steering column

Hi guys,

2019 Mercedes Actros 1824 rigid-

Noticed a strange knock/thump when going over uneven roads or potholes coming up through the steering column. Steering is fine. Steering column air adjustment is fine. No air loss. No play in steering.

Only way I can describe it is it feels like a rubber bush wearing out. It’s got that very hard metal to metal sort of ‘clunk’ when it happens. Seems worse on offside front wheel going over a bump.

Seemed to just start one morning from nowhere.

Truck was empty when I first noticed it.

Any thoughts?

Weve had it a few times , its when cabs not completely down proberly, when u get cab down once it lands , you have to give it 5.or 6 more pumps if not you get the problem you have described, i know it sounds strange but weve had it loads

longpod:
Weve had it a few times , its when cabs not completely down proberly, when u get cab down once it lands , you have to give it 5.or 6 more pumps if not you get the problem you have described, i know it sounds strange but weve had it loads

Cheers, I’ll give it a try in the morning.

longpod:

It can also be when a cab suspension air bag has gone, or the front cab mounting bushes are shot.
Either of these can make the front of the cab drop. So the telescopic section of the steering column runs out of free play near the bottom of cab movements.

Simon:

longpod:

It can also be when a cab suspension air bag has gone, or the front cab mounting bushes are shot.
Either of these can make the front of the cab drop. So the telescopic section of the steering column runs out of free play near the bottom of cab movements.

Mounting bush - that’s exactly how I described it to the mechanic " it feels like a worn bush"

I’ve been told it needs a new steering column (£858 Inc VAT)

Asked if someone had actually taken it for a drive to feel and hear this noise… ermmm, well that’s what they’re saying it probably is. Probably■■? You mean you’re changing out a grand part and you can’t tell me if anyone took it for test drive!

And it’s on back order so it might be a week or more. It’s stripped down and waiting to be fitted.

Asked them to put everything in the truck after they’ve replaced it and if it makes the same noise when I drive it out I want the new part off and the original back on and I won’t be paying for any of it.

It just doesn’t sound or seem like a steering column issue.

I’m fuming!