Daily walk round

I’m studying for the transport manager cpc exam……

I came across this……

5 THE SYSTEM AND PROCEDURE
5.1 daily walk round checks and first use inspection

Walkround checks should be carried out by the driver or other responsible person every time before the vehicle is used

A scenario I would potentially use this is with an agency driver with poor English skills and liable to either not write out at ticket or fill out a ticket wrong
I could complete the walkround as the transport manager, fill out the report and leaving the ticket in the truck with possible contact details for myself if needed

Or am I just reading this all wrong and it has to Be the driver of the vehicle before he drives away■■?

Thanks for any insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When studying for the exams, just go where the book leads you as far as answering exam questions (I see you’ve got the EOS notes, can’t go wrong with those). I doubt you’d get a question on a foreign driver with poor language skills, I’ve never seen anything like that in past papers, but if that’s where your thinking is leading you, I’d approach it as you providing training for the driver until they’d demonstrated competency, I can’t see how you could go wrong with that.

As for real life TM work, you can put the book back on the shelf for that, there’s a gigantic disconnect between the study course plus exams compared to doing the job on a weekly basis, which basically comes down to: Would this stand up to interrogation of the facts by DVSA/TC? Bearing in mind that both DVSA and the TCs have a lot of leeway when it comes to interpretation of “the rules”.

Best of luck with your exams, and if you’ve chosen to do the exams under CILT rather than SAEG, from what I’ve seen since the changeover, CILT have greatly simplified the exams in comparison to the older OCR style papers.

lmp198181:

Thanks for any insight

Hi lmp198181,

I’m very firmly an ex-CPC tutor, and wouldn’t do anything but endorse what Zac has said, but I did notice one thing…

I noticed the year date on your EOS notes is 2012. :open_mouth:

Knowing EOS as I do, it might well be that the info given for the 2012 exam is still current on the subject of walkaround, but it might pay you to check that you have the most up to date version of the EOS notes because they send updates to providers who use the EOS notes in a classroom setting.

If you’re doing your studies in a classroom setting, then I’d say that you probably have the right notes for your course and exams.

:bulb: Clearly, you’d be taking something of a risk if you were one of the people who buy a second-hand set of notes, and then try to ‘home-school.’

I’d like to wish you good luck in your studies and exams. :smiley:

Well spotted Dave.
In case OP wasn’t aware, and to put his mind at rest, EOS issue update packs on a frequent basis, but only for particular pages, so in any given copy of the notes there’ll be a range of dates in the page footers for any given chapter.

I’ve just consulted a copy of the EOS notes, page 2 of module Module 13 (the page shown above) in my copy is also 2012, which just means there’s been no changes for ten years. Flicking through the other pages of that module shows year numbers:2012, 2019, 2018 & 2021

Fantastic help….

I currently work as transport coordinator for an engineering company operating under a restricted licence, small fleet of 4, the notes were passed down to me by a friend who passed the course late 2019 ( hence the financial figures are out, to name just one )

There is no need for me hold the cpc but since offered the role, I’ve done everything I can to learn as much as I can to keep me the other drivers and company on the right side of the laws and regulations

Truck net and it’s people being a massive help

Thank you both

That’s an extract from the Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness, Section 3 which should explain it better.

In the main it’s right for the driver to do them, but if things are set up in the right way, there are times when it can be done by a third person- competent to do it of course.

Zac_A:
Well spotted Dave.
In case OP wasn’t aware, and to put his mind at rest, EOS issue update packs on a frequent basis, but only for particular pages, so in any given copy of the notes there’ll be a range of dates in the page footers for any given chapter.

I’ve just consulted a copy of the EOS notes, page 2 of module Module 13 (the page shown above) in my copy is also 2012, which just means there’s been no changes for ten years. Flicking through the other pages of that module shows year numbers:2012, 2019, 2018 & 2021

EOS hasn’t changed their system then, because it’s exactly as I remember it. :smiley:

I’m thinking back to when I last taught Operator CPC… that would be 2008 or 2009, then even further back to when I took my own National and International CPCs back in 1997.

My own CPC certificates are on parchment scrolls and came from RSA, which later somehow became OCR. :smiley: :grimacing:

And now candidates get to choose whether they do CILT or SAEG - confusing much :smiley:

Interesting to note the disparity that DGSAs have no option but resit exams every five years whereas TMs only have to (at the TCs behest) do a non-assessed refresher course every five years.

Zac_A:
And now candidates get to choose whether they do CILT or SAEG - confusing much :smiley:

Interesting to note the disparity that DGSAs have no option but resit exams every five years whereas TMs only have to (at the TCs behest) do a non-assessed refresher course every five years.

Yes Zac, I’d noticed that too… my DGSA re-qual is next year, so I hope I pass!! :smiley:

Inspections are mandatory in the US everyday prior to moving the vehicle, there are also mid trip and end of shift inspections that are required.

online-cdl-test.com/cdl-pretrip … kills-test

If you are stopped and checked to be none compliant you will be put out of service and the vehicle is no allowed to be moved under its own power !
Costs and fines are expensive…

Sabretooth:
Inspections are mandatory in the US everyday prior to moving the vehicle, there are also mid trip and end of shift inspections that are required.

online-cdl-test.com/cdl-pretrip … kills-test

If you are stopped and checked to be none compliant you will be put out of service and the vehicle is no allowed to be moved under its own power !
Costs and fines are expensive…

Unless you are exempt (from the mid and end inspections).

lmp198181:

I came across this……

5 THE SYSTEM AND PROCEDURE
5.1 daily walk round checks and first use inspection

Walkround checks should be carried out by the driver or other responsible person every time before the vehicle is used

A scenario I would potentially use this is with an agency driver with poor English skills and liable to either not write out at ticket or fill out a ticket wrong
I could complete the walkround as the transport manager, fill out the report and leaving the ticket in the truck with possible contact details for myself if needed

Or am I just reading this all wrong and it has to Be the driver of the vehicle before he drives away■■?

Thanks for any insight

Or you could just get a DVSA/ VOSA approved app with language settings so your driver can fill it out in his language.

What if a fault occurs en-route? What if you miss something?

Ultimately, the driver is responsible. Last thing you want is some lazy driver sticking it you.

It’s his truck the moment he accepts the keys and job. Let him VOR

I did several times as agency.