3.5t or 7.5t

Hello all,

While waiting 3 months for my class2 test, I’m driving a 3.5t luton, doing bits of courier work, currently driving 50-65 hours per week. I’ve got the opportunity to buy a 7.5t truck but with the restriction of drivers hours, I’m wondering whether I might be better off sticking with the luton. Anyone have any experience in this?

So moving over the 3.5t you now need O licence, qualified TM, maintenance, drivers hrs etc. do you have the funds, time and inclination?

Surely there’s not enough info here? What would be different about the 7.5? It’s twice the size, would you achieve twice the work in half the time? [emoji12]

Acorn:
So moving over the 3.5t you now need O licence, qualified TM, maintenance, drivers hrs etc. do you have the funds, time and inclination?

Thanks for that prompt, my sticking point would be the TM and o licence.

stu675:
Surely there’s not enough info here? What would be different about the 7.5? It’s twice the size, would you achieve twice the work in half the time? [emoji12]

Going on current loads, I know I would get the option for slightly longer loads that I can’t accept at the moment, so I feel the work’s there, but will it pay better for the additional outlay - TM, licence, increased fuel? However, with 3.5t van rpices as they are right now, perhaps I’ll recoup increased fuel costs from a less expensive truck? Probably not.

What I was really interested in finding out was whether any 3.5t ODs found themselves turning down work simply due to slight load length/weight restrictions?

Even with a 7.5 tonner there will still be loads that you can’t quite get on length or weight wise, so do you go up to an 18 tonner? If you can make a living driving a 3.5T van 55-60 hrs a week I’d stick with it, a lot less hassle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you could always obtain the o licence , bearing in mind all the difficulies involved , and once you’ve got that , you can always hire a 7.5 when you actually need one instead of all the out;lay and hassle of actually owning the thing, and you’re still earning good money on a van .
tony

tonyj105:
you could always obtain the o licence , bearing in mind all the difficulies involved , and once you’ve got that , you can always hire a 7.5 when you actually need one instead of all the out;lay and hassle of actually owning the thing, and you’re still earning good money on a van .
tony

That would mean leaving the financial standing of £8000 constantly available as one of the O Lic conditions, the OTC is not keen on issuing a licence without a vehicle being used.
Insurance could/would then become quite awkward as the liability/risk of a 3.5t is often quite different to a 7.5t, so likely to be required to Ins to the upper weight, even when it’s not required.
Oh, and a quick thought, going over 3.5t and any loads into London becomes far more of a challenge with FORS etc!!!
It needs much more homework and business assessment than what is initially proposed.
There will always be loads bigger, longer, wider, heavier than an operator can deal with and have to pass it off,

Perhaps the question really is, is the OP being a busy fool with 3.5t, doing lots of work for small margins, or is it being quite busy but having quite good profit?

Acorn:

tonyj105:
tony

That would mean leaving the financial standing of £8000 constantly available as one of the O Lic conditions, the OTC is not keen on issuing a licence without a vehicle being used.
Insurance could/would then become quite awkward as the liability/risk of a 3.5t is often quite different to a 7.5t, so likely to be required to Ins to the upper weight, even when it’s not required.
Oh, and a quick thought, going over 3.5t and any loads into London becomes far more of a challenge with FORS etc!!!
It needs much more homework and business assessment than what is initially proposed.
There will always be loads bigger, longer, wider, heavier than an operator can deal with and have to pass it off,

Perhaps the question really is, is the OP being a busy fool with 3.5t, doing lots of work for small margins, or is it being quite busy but having quite good profit?

Not quite as good profit as I would like. Think I’m going to stick with 3.5t for now - the extra hassle for 7.5t isn’t worth it, I can wait until I get my Class 1.

But did I read somewhere that all vans 2.5-3.5t will require o licence and tachos from 2025?

dmcgilvray146:
But did I read somewhere that all vans 2.5-3.5t will require o licence and tachos from 2025?

That’s for EU work only

Acorn:

dmcgilvray146:

That’s for EU work only

thank you :slight_smile:

dmcgilvray146:

Acorn:

dmcgilvray146:

That’s for EU work only

thank you :slight_smile:

For EU work 2.5t plus requires an O-Licence now. Started May of this year. Either a van of over 2.5t plated weight or a combo of over 2.5t, such as a car with a trailer.
gov.uk/guidance/transport-g … 1-may-2022

Tachos? Watch this space…

Stick with 3.5T, the extra hassle just ain’t worth it.