26t Rigid VS 44t Artic Running Costs

Hi, I work for an events company and we are looking at buying either a 26t rigid or a 44t artic to bring the logistics in-house (mainly moving barriers and other bulky but not very heavy things between our unit and the job sites). What is the difference in running/maintenance costs between them? I am assuming artics cost more but I have heard some people say the difference is negligible so wondering if that is actually true. Probably about 60% of our jobs can be done with a 26t rigid, so we are trying to work out if it is better to get a 26t and subcontract the rest out like we do at the moment or get the artic and be able to bring everything in house.

Also, as we are new to being operators if anyone has any advice/tips that would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi. If you rent or hire a 44t combination for the rest of your loads (40%) then you would be loosing more then a difference between operational costs for the 26t rigid and 44t one. IMHO.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Can you access most of the sites with an artic ?

have you considered a drawbar , if you’re loads aren’t that heavy a 26tonne rigid with a trailer would give you the flexibilty of limited access and the extra capacity of an artic.

tonyj105:
have you considered a drawbar , if you’re loads aren’t that heavy a 26tonne rigid with a trailer would give you the flexibilty of limited access and the extra capacity of an artic.

Would mean you could do 3 loads for the price of 2

VladoChe:
Hi. If you rent or hire a 44t combination for the rest of your loads (40%) then you would be loosing more then a difference between operational costs for the 26t rigid and 44t one. IMHO.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Hi, that makes sense actually. Maybe hiring for the rest of the loads isn’t the best option then. Thanks!

blue estate:
Can you access most of the sites with an artic ?

Yes, all sites should be accessible with an artic, I don’t believe we have any upcoming sites that would be a problem for an artic.

tonyj105:

We were thinking about a drawbar, the problem we were having was finding any that looked in good condition and were within our budget.

blue estate:

tonyj105:

Would mean you could do 3 loads for the price of 2

Yeh, I think a drawbar would be a really good option but like I have just responded to another comment we can’t seem to find any within our budget sadly.