Tacho, Recovery and O licence

Hello
I currently run a small vehicle recovery business in the north west, I have only been trading for around 12 months but things are looking up and I have been offered some transport work from a couple of local companies moving stuff on a trailer such as small items of plant and such like.

I cannot carry for hire and reward as I’m strictly recovery at the moment and my truck is a 6.5ton beavertail with a towbar fitted

I have a couple of queries regarding my tacho and my impending O licence.

At the moment I’m exempt from tacho but keep records of my hours etc which is fine.

My query is, if my O licence is approved can I switch between the exemption (recovery work) and hire and reward.
I believe I can as the O licence states I need the O licence even if it for one day hire and reward but I would just like it confirming.

If the O licence is granted I know all hire and reward will be subject to EU rules but it just a question that popped into my head the other day.
In fact I saw a recovery truck the other day on an O licence I should have spoken to the driver and asked him.

Thanks.

I have tended to refer to this for guidance when in doubt, hopefully it is up to date.

avrouk.com/images/ul/guide- … ations.pdf

My read of your question boils down to when you would need to be covered under EU regs and when you can use the exemption to operate under Domestic.

Assuming you are the one and only driver any day you do haulage (or out of your 100km radius) you would be under EU regs for the day and also need to take a suitable weekly rest.

njl:
Assuming you are the one and only driver any day you do haulage (or out of your 100km radius) you would be under EU regs for the day and also need to take a suitable weekly rest.

Yes I’m a sole trader so the truck is only used my me, and yes if I go outside my 100km radius I run on my tacho so I’m assuming I have it right regarding the rules.

Thanks for the reply and link I shall have a read now.

njl:
avrouk.com/images/ul/guide- … ations.pdf

My read of your question boils down to when you would need to be covered under EU regs and when you can use the exemption to operate under Domestic.

Not sure I’d trust or rely upon anything as being current in that avro doc as it’s foreword is by VOSA!!!
Otherwise, agree with your summary.