What unit would you recommend for me? V V Low annual miles

Hi. I am looking at buying a tractor unit but because my use is probably vastly different to the usual haulage, I’m looking for advice other than what a dealer might say…

I will have showman’s exemption as we do karting attractions at events, and will be towing an ex Halfords double deck Don Bur with fixed deck. The front end will be living accommodation, with sleeping pods on lower front, kitchen area and living area above inc bathroom. Top deck back will be garage area for the karts, as will lower rear, and mid lower will be workshop with doors opening to the side. There will be stairs to the top deck at the front, and all the heavy lifting is done by a tail lift. I suspect max load will be 5 tonnes.

Not that I will be in London much (if ever) but the Showman’s exemption I understand allows me to use in ULEZ areas no problem no matter what engine. It also means I don’t need an O licence.

Ideally I’d want a 4x2 unit, as I need to have a generator on the tractor unit, and as trips won’t be long, a single tank will suffice, allowing the genny to be located where the twin tank would normally be.

I’d want to use the bunks in the unit as extra crew accommodation. Ideally I’d like at least a 3rd seat in the cab - for extra crew too.

The big consideration is - that the annual mileage will be very low. Certainly no more than 3000 a year, probably about 2000. It will also be parked up from Sept - April. I know vehicles run better used regularly, so are there any trucks that don’t mind sitting around a bit?

I was thinking something like a late 2000s Scania R480 Topline 4x2, and have been warned off Renault Premiums / Magnums due to electric issues.

So… does anyone have any advice for me before I splash out my hard earnt and make a ghastly mistake?

Thanks in advance

You’ll have less choice if you need a 4 x 2, it’ll probably be an ex supermarket vehicle, so more than likely a low cab. If you want to keep the bunk(s) you’ll have problems trying to get a 3rd seat fitted unless you can get a tall cab with a fold up top bunk. You could remove the lower bunk and fit another seat or 2 there.

I wouldn’t worry too much about parking it up for half the year. I sold a Volvo V1 FH to a friend of mine a few year ago to move his steam engine around, that only gets used 3 or 4 times a year and he hasn’t really had any issues with it.

I also wouldn’t worry too much about what make. Renaults are still reliable and cheap, a lot of the components are shared with Volvo. Scalia and DAF are also reliable, as you don’t need euro6 you should be able to get a decent well maintained unit up to 2013 for a good price. Try and get something with a decent service history. I like Volvos so I’d recommend a V3 FH with twin bunks, but as a 4 x 2 there’s not a plentiful supply. More choice as a 6 x 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to be noticed and have no ULEZ problems, then arm yourself with a classic ERF with a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ in. No fancy electronics and easy to work on.

Showmen have been using such vehicles since God was a lad.

Ken.

Thanks all for the advice. I went for a Scania R580 in the end… hopefully it arrives this week.