Outlook of buying a truck and starting a haulage company

Hi,

I will start by saying sorry if any or all of this has been answered before.

Ok so me and my partner are in the very early stages of deciding to start a haulage firm, however we are really struggling to get numbers finalized to see if we can actually get it to work.

I have done haulage for over 8 years now, in mainly tipper and powder tanker work, however I did do a stint in dbl decker multi drop (which I never intend on doing again), however I intend to start the company as general haulage with a curtain sider 44t rig, tramping, based in central scotland.

so my concerns, not being in the general haulage game at minute are,

-haulage contract sites eg. returnloads.com etc,

how reliable are they for getting constant work?
are the rates set or is as a bidding war etc?
is it worth going onto multiple sites to incur the extra costs but to fill the loads?
is there anyway to get a sneak preview at any of these sites or apps before doing my o-license as they all seem to be very closed door and only allow previews/demo’s as a selling point?
what is the going rate for a artic load, ie. is it paid per mile or per contract? or is this all variable depending on the client etc?

-goods in transit insurance,

can anyone give a ballpark figure what the cost will be for a start up company for this as we cannot get much information on it.

-current/ongoing fuel crisis,

how are companies/people preparing for the onslaught of price rises? are there any ways we can forecast this more accurately?

T.I.A
John

I wouldn’t bother just now with diesel prices the way they are. There’s probably a recession on the way. Also, decent work out of Scotland is scarce, if you don’t have your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Financial suicide , don’t bother there’s going to be enough rats trying to leave the sinking ship why add to that number .
Rates out of Scotland have always been Pish, in a shrinking market why get involved ?

For a reality check ring Barronwood and ask them what they have out of Scotland to the Midlands , then work your numbers .

Stay employed for now till every thing settles down

Stralisnumerouno:
Financial suicide , don’t bother there’s going to be enough rats trying to leave the sinking ship why add to that number .
Rates out of Scotland have always been Pish, in a shrinking market why get involved ?

For a reality check ring Barronwood and ask them what they have out of Scotland to the Midlands , then work your numbers .

Baronwood always have plenty of work, trouble is its 3rd or 4th hand. Rates to match that (£1.50 a mile, that kind of thing) and be max weight. Not sustainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue estate:
Stay employed for now till every thing settles down

+1.

thanks for the relies, spoke with my other half and we also come to this conclusion, shame the world is how it is right now.

well happy trucking guys and stay safe