Pricing work

Hello

Looking for advice on pricing for work.

Are you best to charge per mile? Hours or days?

I’m assuming per hour is best. With all the expenses what is the going rate per hour to still stay competitive?

Thanks

Well definitely not TMI this is NEI

ebay.co.uk/itm/233573942234 … zlEALw_wcB

How do you mean?

I am looking for different options on how people
Price for there work. What do they find best….

General haulage work if that helps

I worked on ppm with demurrage after x hours. But we were generally not dithering about waiting to be off loaded.

When I was sitting behind a desk on general we used different models depending on the exact job.
Some local shunting work would be on an hourly basis, with agreed minimums.
Some on a rate determined mostly by mileage, but as Albion says, with demurrage after an agreed period.
Rates would be negotiated on whether it was a one off job, ongoing, whether it was time critical or we could fit it in around other jobs. If it was going to a place where we had regular backloads Id go low. Going to the back of beyond on a Friday? Id quote high enough to sub it out and still get a wee bit back. (If I was unlucky and got it)

Its not the length of a piece of string, its the length of several different pieces of string.

ED. And always find out exactly what the load is.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

It’s general haulage in the Scottish highlands. Not much motorway work, mostly in and out of farm yards, fish farms, forest’s etc.

I don’t think price per mile would be worth while I’m leaning more towards hourly rate with a minimum of X hours.

What do you think a fair buy competitive hourly rate would be? I guess it depends where you are in the country…

depends on the job really

hourly for local stuff usually within 40 mile radius
price per mile on distance
rate per day + per mile on traction
price per mile plus extra per drop on multi drop / collection

if the chance of a return load is slim then definitely charge enough to cover the round trip

‘return load’ usually aim for between 50-75% of the outbound rate - obviously some freight forwarders / large hauliers will tell you the rate and based on experience / how busy or quiet we are as to whether its worth entertaining or not

night out money and parking to be considered if necessary

when working out per mile costs, that can vary depending on what weight the load is (and the type of roads) we have regular jobs that the truck will struggle to get +7mpg on, and others that hit +11mpg.

For example at todays rate of £1.22 per litre:
7mpg = £0.80 per mile on fuel alone
9mpg = £0.61
11mpg = £0.50

Robaidh:
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

It’s general haulage in the Scottish highlands. Not much motorway work, mostly in and out of farm yards, fish farms, forest’s etc.

I don’t think price per mile would be worth while I’m leaning more towards hourly rate with a minimum of X hours.

What do you think a fair buy competitive hourly rate would be? I guess it depends where you are in the country…

i would go for a day rate, based on an above average day of hours(wages) and fuel

PA22:

if the chance of a return load is slim then definitely charge enough to cover the round trip

‘return load’ usually aim for between 50-75% of the outbound rate - obviously some freight forwarders / large hauliers will tell you the rate and based on experience / how busy or quiet we are as to whether its worth entertaining or not

when working out per mile costs, that can vary depending on what weight the load is (and the type of roads) we have regular jobs that the truck will struggle to get +7mpg on, and others that hit +11mpg.

9mpg = £0.61
11mpg = £0.50

£1.22 per litre? That can’t be pump prices surely?

Thanks for the above. I am swaying towards a day rate or a hourly rate of minimum 5hrs

Robaidh:

PA22:

9mpg = £0.61
11mpg = £0.50

Thanks for the above. I am swaying towards a day rate or a hourly rate of minimum 5hrs

Its the nett price, you work on nett, the VAT is added to your invoice,Personally you need to be looking at a day rate with a defined mileage cap / day length ect…i.e £600 a day = 300 miles max / 13 hour max…I`d be very surprised that you will get a chance to dictate in this climate though, especially up there… :neutral_face:

Robaidh:

That’s what we pay in England, why, do you pay more up there?

[emoji6]

stu675:

Robaidh:

That’s what we pay in England, why, do you pay more up there?

[emoji6]

£1.50 to £1.65 that’s inc vat depending where you are

If you aren’t doing distance then yes an hourly or day rate would be better. We actually had 3 ppm rates based on distance with the shorter distance being the more expensive.

I would charge Day Rate for locals or a fixed rate per load if its regular local stuff.

I bet you will hear these words though. “t’other bloke does it for half that price”