Displaying TM's contact details

When I was a kid, all trucks had a small sign, low on the cab (easy for a pedestrian to read), showing the Transport Manager’s name and contact details.

Did it used to be a legal requirement but isn’t any more? If so, when did it change?

We’re bidding for some work and it’s in the customer’s spec that all of our trucks have to have a sticker with these details. I don’t have a problem getting them made, just wondered what changed.

Not sure about the TM details, can imagine if you have6-7 named TMs, or even to with hyphenated long names on the licence. Are you sure they don’t just need the Co name and contact details? AFAIK it’s not been a legal requirement for hgvs.
I might ask for some clarification and/ or justification

I can’t see any logic in naming the TM, it could be an external TM working one day a week and this person could easily be replaced over time. Far wiser to name a contact at the company who would connect you with the TM.

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone remember when it was ‘a thing’?

I’m keen to understand why (and when) the practice stopped.

CurlyDolly:
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone remember when it was ‘a thing’?

I’m keen to understand why (and when) the practice stopped.

It was “a thing” in the 80`s, if I remember correctly. Maybe later on too, but I am unsure.
A white sticker often on passenger rear quarter of cab.
Name of company with registered address, and maybe unladen and gross weights?

If you have the registration number of a vehicle then do you need anything else? All other records will follow from that, so no real need for a small sticker wedged between cab and trailer.

I suspect it was an early version of “How’s my driving? Call 0800-grass-me-up” :laughing:

I think in these days of mobile phones, this system would get widely abused

Wasn’t it for trucks carrying foodstuffs, they had to display the operators name and address?