Is It Weird To Commend Drivers For Improving?

Might be best to keep it professional unless you have an established rapport with your drivers?
Getting praise from you, might be seen as (sorry) “some condescending, snotty nosed kid, who has just started out” and “has never turned a wheel in his life” , “who does he think he is” etc.
Giving accurate reports on any infringements is objective.
Giving criticism or praise is subjective. Risky.

Franglais:
Might be best to keep it professional unless you have an established rapport with your drivers?
Getting praise from you, might be seen as (sorry) “some condescending, snotty nosed kid, who has just started out” and “has never turned a wheel in his life” , “who does he think he is” etc.
Giving accurate reports on any infringements is objective.
Giving criticism or praise is subjective. Risky.

Some of them I do, I do presentations to apprentice drivers on drivers hours and infringements and stuff so I speak to them then. But there is over 800 drivers.

And no need to apologize, that’s what concerned me lol

And you say it’s objective, some drivers would disagree haha
But yeah I see your point

Dont worry too much: when youre older you wont have to put up with being a "snotty nosed kid" any more. Itll be “What is that ole ■■■■ trying to do?” “He ain`t been on the road for years”

:smiley:

Franglais:
Dont worry too much: when youre older you wont have to put up with being a "snotty nosed kid" any more. Itll be “What is that ole ■■■■ trying to do?” “He ain`t been on the road for years”

:smiley:

Oh great, well that’s something to look forwards too haha

Drivers working time averages are for the planners to manage surely? Do any drivers actually keep a running total?

cav551:
Drivers working time averages are for the planners to manage surely? Do any drivers actually keep a running total?

Yeah for sure, but they get switched around a lot, so I can give the planners a sheet with the working times of his drivers from the most up to date list of which planner plans who, but I get them all coming to the office going through their sheet and saying a lot of them aren’t his. I find it so strange and hard to believe that no one has an up to date record of who plans who.

So we give them to the drivers and the depot managers/driver trainers too for their information more than anything else. I don’t decide this stuff, I just need to find who actually has the friggin up to date lists, someone must have one unless they telling me it’s just a free for all

cav551:

Hah , not in my place!

According to my TM, infringements, WTD averages etc are all for the driver to keep on top of.

i know i’ve picked up the odd infringement here and there (it happens, i don’t worry about it), but never once have i been told about them or signed any paperwork for them.
I asked him once, as a brand new driver when i joined, if i was messing up, and i didn’t realise, how can i make efforts to improve?
Thats my job to keep on top of, not his, we’re not children!

Personally i think it’s a risky game he’s playing, but he’s happy to play it it seems.

Do you work for DHL?

They love sending out letters but try and pin someone down to ask their advice is like knitting fog.

an infringement is better understood if it is explained face to face, not in front of a waiting room window, use an example, find out why it is happening, are they being pressured from above?

cav551:

Any half decent analysis company will have this tucked up surely ?

We use a remote download system, and Ill get the result via email this afternoon with everything I need to manage the drivers, I print off a copy & they get it in next weekends party pack, its up to the driver to file it in their cab/possession for safe keeping & to flash a the copy at any DVLA staff who want a straight answer there & then…works for us, although some drivers idea of a “file” is to have them stuffed into any available space, whereas others have very neat systems… :open_mouth: