International transport using vans >2.5t from 21st May 2022

It seems that you’ll need an international ‘O’ Licence if you operate a car and trailer or a van >2.5t GVW internationally as from 21/05/2022.

Quoted from the .gov.uk link below:

Guidance
Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022

What transport companies and couriers need to do to use vans and car and trailers over 2.5 tonnes to transport goods in and out of the UK from 21 May 2022.

Will a tacho be the next requirement?

Doubtful, can you imagine them
Being fitted to cars etc? This does just apply to the traditional white van.

Acorn:

Already fitted to some 4x4 for towing aren`t they?

I am no tech-wizz but I can easily see a GPS recorder being bolted onto any vehicle for a few quid.
Why not? (technically, anyway)

Acorn:

My reading of the bit I’ve quoted is that the new ‘O’ licence rule applies equally to both car and trailer >2.5t GVW AND vans >2.5t GVW.

The separate idea of fitting tachos to <3.5t GVW vehicles isn’t new either because the Germans have a national law that requires vehicles >2.8t - <3.5t to be fitted with a tacho and for those drivers to observe 561/2006.
(The above is my own personal [ = non-Google :wink: ] reading of §1 of the German Reg called Fahrpersonalverordnung which the Germans shorten to FPersV and has been around for a good few years.)
:bulb: The thin end of a future EU wedge methinks.

dieseldave:

Acorn:

My reading of the bit I’ve quoted is that the new ‘O’ licence rule applies equally to both car and trailer >2.5t GVW AND vans >2.5t GVW.

The separate idea of fitting tachos to <3.5t GVW vehicles isn’t new either because the Germans have a national law that requires vehicles >2.8t - <3.5t to be fitted with a tacho and for those drivers to observe 561/2006.
(The above is my own personal [ = non-Google :wink: ] reading of §1 of the German Reg called Fahrpersonalverordnung which the Germans shorten to FPersV and has been around for a good few years.)
:bulb: The thin end of a future EU wedge methinks.

I agree about the O lic, there are going to be lots of the suv, dual purpose and cars that will suddenly come into the O licence, and not just the white van.
At this point, let’s not get distracted by tachos that are not yet in the draft legislation.

Acorn:
… At this point, let’s not get distracted by tachos that are not yet in the draft legislation.

I think that would be a different piece of legislation, but I do take your point. :smiley:

List number 437 of why I’m glad I retired in 2019!

Interesting that, for international journeys, so far, that could easily be modified to include domestic vehicles too, particularly now we have a remainer negotiator on the guise of Truss, make sone wonder ir remaining by the back door was the plan all along, though that’s a subject for another time.

Many have gone for dual purpose pick ups and extra cab type vans for private use to avoid unaffordable VED penalties with normal 4x4’s, if that 2.5 ton applies to GVW this could alter many plans, including my own.

Juddian:
Interesting that, for international journeys, so far, that could easily be modified to include domestic vehicles too, particularly now we have a remainer negotiator on the guise of Truss, make sone wonder ir remaining by the back door was the plan all along, though that’s a subject for another time.

Many have gone for dual purpose pick ups and extra cab type vans for private use to avoid unaffordable VED penalties with normal 4x4’s, if that 2.5 ton applies to GVW this could alter many plans, including my own.

Only concerns are for commercial use. A private 4x4 with your own stuff in is not a problem, as I read it.

Franglais:

Juddian:

Only concerns are for commercial use. A private 4x4 with your own stuff in is not a problem, as I read it.

Yes at the moment, but seeing the amount the highest VED bands have increased by (£100) i for one don’t trust them not to stick anyone not keeping up with the shifting goal posts with a large and ever increasing set of bills.

Juddian:

Franglais:

Juddian:

Yes at the moment, but seeing the amount the highest VED bands have increased by (£100) i for one don’t trust them not to stick anyone not keeping up with the shifting goal posts with a large and ever increasing set of bills.

True enough the posts are very movable. And now appear to have basketball hoops atop them!

Franglais:

Juddian:

As I understand it, even if its for business, as long as its your load and not doing it for 3rd party, then you don’t need the O licence. For those who are or have been using a nice car & trailer, the dual-purpose veh + trailer or even the typical white van, if its for 3rd party haulage then it will be an eye opener. But, how many folks use their company car+ trailer to move anything other than their own products.
Overall, I think it will have a fairly small impact on companies that don’t currently have an O licence, they will just have to add more vehicles.

Acorn:
… Overall, I think it will have a fairly small impact on companies that don’t currently have an O licence, they will just have to add more vehicles.

I might have misunderstood the part I’ve quoted, because it would make more sense (to me) if your word “don’t” were omitted.
(Sorry if I’ve misunderstood.)

IMHO, it’s those who internationally operate 3.5t vehicles that have a sleeper pod on top of the cab who will feel the brunt of this new rule because there will be some quite onerous rules that they’ll have to adhere to.

Add more vehicles and the Margin soon disappears. Nice one for the overall plan. Then the premises become officially too small requiring a new application for new premises. Lots of lovely lolly for the council and various “friends”. And of course it is a Brownfield site so more “friends” involved and more donations to Party funds. Oink, Oink. Champers old boy.

Bring it on. Hopefully get rid of a few chancers.

I already have my international license anyway.

Towing commercially(not just hire and reward) needs a tacho anyway. Unless dpv exemptions apply. Most need a o-license but don’t seem to bother either.

Tacho is coming for vans, 2025/2026 for >2.5t vans on international.

German requires a log-book for vans anyway, tacho>2.8t if a tow bar is fitted.

Concretejim:
Bring it on. Hopefully get rid of a few chancers.

I already have my international license anyway.

Towing commercially(not just hire and reward) needs a tacho anyway. Unless dpv exemptions apply. Most need a o-license but don’t seem to bother either.

Tacho is coming for vans, 2025/2026 for >2.5t vans on international.

German requires a log-book for vans anyway, tacho>2.8t if a tow bar is fitted.

As I read it, in the EU, it’s motor vehicles, rather than vans, so DPVs are fair game and included in the requirement.