Transport manager exam

I am taking my transport manager exam next week (7th), would anyone on here happen to have any inside knowledge of what questions might be in the paper. I have the syllabus and the 5 potential case studies, but if someone could help me narrow down a little more would be great help.

No one knows what will be in the case studies exam, beyond being able to say with 100% certainty there will be one costings question and one driver planning/scheduling exercise.

Some of the questions will ask how incompetent you are, and if offered, would you work for a national company as their planner?

Ken.

Get some revision in, take all your notes and practise stuff with you if that’s still allowed.

As I was told at school don’t forget to read and understand the question.

The whole point of a syllabus and exam is that they can ask you anything from the syllabus. Whatever course you did I’m sure they gave ideas and suggestions on ways to absorb the info and what and how to answer an exam question.
Two quick pointers.
Recognise you won’t learn everything, so when you red the exam questions, recognise your strengths and weaknesses - go for the good ones first if you can. It will help reduce the stress.
Secondly, this will be one of the few times you will be asked to use a pen & paper intensively for many years. Practise writing, make sure its legible as they can’t mark it if they can’t read it. if you can write quick and legibly, then suddenly all your responses are maximised to get the most marks.

Just to consolidate what others have posted:

1. RTFQ! Read The Flippin’ Question, multiple times & very carefully, not just one skim read
  2. Go for low-hanging fruit first (ie the easy ones)
  3. Avoid excess stress
  4. Manage your time based on the marks available in a particular question ie you need 60 marks, one question is worth 6 marks so give it no more than one-tenth of your time
  5. with regards to legibility, if (like me) you have messy handwriting, don’t be afraid to use block capital printing. Yes it’s a chore but if you make the examiner’s life easy, they’re more well-disposed to awarding marks
  6. Don’t be tempted to do an all-night cramming session the night before the exam, that’s just Hollywood-movie-montage-BS, not only does it not work, it’s counter-productive because it just leaves you tired and unable to focus. Sleep is your friend, stress is your enemy

Some people recommend stress-relief products, it’s worth mentioning that two paracetamol will take the edge off stress, just like it does with physical pain.

Are you still allowed to take your book / folder / notes in to the exam?

Read the question, flick to the pages in the folder for that section and away you go.

Should also have plenty of time. You don’t have to do the questions in order, i find it helps to skip the ones I’m unsure on, to spend more time on the ones i feel confident i can get right

When I did mine we had a voluntary revision and mock test day the day before the exam. The main scenario question set by the tutor was so spookily identical to the question in the exam the next day that I’m sure that either he must have had some insider knowledge of what it was going to be or the RSA have a finite number of questions which they run in a loop which can be predicted.

Agree with PA22 above, blitz the multi-choice questions you 100% know the answers to and work downwards from there. If you haven’t got a scooby then just guess, you’ve got a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right and possibly more because often one of the options is obviously nonsense.

Well, it’s done now.
I think i have either just scraped a pass or just failed.It’s going to be tight. Just have to wit until Jan 18th for the results.

Just don’t let it be on your mind over Xmas; students self-analyzing their pass/fail likelihood is notoriously inaccurate.

To be a successful Transport Manager you’ll have to get your DNA re-sequenced to reptilian. :smiley: :smiley: