23 years old and want to buy my own lorry

I really want to buy my own unit but not sure of everything i need to do. I only want to buy a unit and pull company’s own trailers. I have £25,000 saved, would that be enough to get started? Whats all the different insurances i need and how much would insurance cost for a 23 year old with over 3 years experience? Would i be better buying an older unit or finance something newer? Ive been working for a company now for 2 years and they can offer me work, think they pay just over £400 a day for 10hours work and you wold be driving no more than 200 miles. Am i too young and do i have enough experience to start up on my own? Any help on costs or advice would be appreciated thanks

I would wait another year as second hand unit prices are silly and you’ll need a euro 6 if going any where near London Manchester , Brum and Bristol
As all have a LEZ zone
Also trailer prices are silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue estate:
I would wait another year as second hand unit prices are silly and you’ll need a euro 6 if going any where near London Manchester , Brum and Bristol
As all have a LEZ zone

Will there be the current high demand for traction next year, that there is now?
Are truck prices high because there is work around at the moment? And wont prices drop only if work drops off? . *I wouldnt advise anyone either way*, but it looks to me that times are volatile and any sharp rate rises could drop off just as quickly.
Anyone already in the game is looking to do well at the moment. Anyone starting out may also do well, but remember that rates can go down as well as up. Always keep your eyes open to all possibilities.

Franglais:

blue estate:
As all have a LEZ zone

Will there be the current high demand for traction next year, that there is now?
Are truck prices high because there is work around at the moment? And wont prices drop only if work drops off? . *I wouldnt advise anyone either way*, but it looks to me that times are volatile and any sharp rate rises could drop off just as quickly.
Anyone already in the game is looking to do well at the moment. Anyone starting out may also do well, but remember that rates can go down as well as up. Always keep your eyes open to all possibilities.

They’re night because of 2 things
1, not many did fleet changes last year and most weren’t buying because of lockdown
2, Because of the current chip shortage the lead time on new units is silly 2023 for most thus firms are hanging on to units

Do you know any owner-drivers you could talk to in person?

I take my hat off to these guys, it’s gigantic commitment of time and money, the job never, ever ends. It’s even worse for someone of your age: your mates will be having fun, going pubbing and clubbing and all that goes with it :wink: while you’re at home in your “office” doing your paperwork and worrying about where the next load is coming from.

You’ll need to buy your wagon and have £8,000 “spare” in some form or another for your Financial Standing (it’s a non-negotiable pat of your O-licence application), what about your Operating Centre where you will park your unit? Who will be your maintenance provider to do your (typical) six-weekly checks? What about a TM? If you’ve got your own TMCPC you’ll save money but if you already had it you’d already have your answers. What about card and vehicle downloads? You’ll want to find a convenient outfit to help with compliance services

And the stress! Its. all. on. you

I’d suggest you might want to do a decent Operator Licence Awareness Course to prepare you for what’s involved, it should cover what I’ve mentioned above as well as a lot of other stuff.

What part of the country you in Ryan

Ryan99:
I really want to buy my own unit but not sure of everything i need to do. I only want to buy a unit and pull company’s own trailers. I have £25,000 saved, would that be enough to get started? Whats all the different insurances i need and how much would insurance cost for a 23 year old with over 3 years experience? Would i be better buying an older unit or finance something newer? Ive been working for a company now for 2 years and they can offer me work, think they pay just over £400 a day for 10hours work and you wold be driving no more than 200 miles. Am i too young and do i have enough experience to start up on my own? Any help on costs or advice would be appreciated thanks

1000 miles per week at £2 per mile, you will be lucky to take home minimum wage after costs.
No reason you could not do it at your age, but look for more/better work first

£400 a day is pretty poor, how much are you earning just being a driver at that company?

PA22:
£400 a day is pretty poor, how much are you earning just being a driver at that company?

Especially when £800 a day is being offered now in the run up to Christmas :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

PA22:

Especially when £800 a day is being offered now in the run up to Christmas :wink:

:astonished: And I had people calling me greedy at £700. Share the love Stanley.

Concretejim:

Stanley Mitchell:

PA22:

:astonished: And I had people calling me greedy at £700. Share the love Stanley.

Just got to be a bit careful sifting through the chancers with their offers, of which there are many :unamused:

S.M.

Stanley Mitchell:

PA22:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go for it son. My son is the same age as you and he has done it.
HP or lease a new one, avoid pre used.
Approach several brokers to explore the insurance side, dont dont have any pre conceptions

Good luck and think for yourself, im sure you will do well.

Go for it son. My son is the same age as you and he has done it.
HP or lease a new one, avoid pre used.
Approach several brokers to explore the insurance side, dont dont have any pre conceptions

Good luck and think for yourself, im sure you will do well.