First time buying Volvo advice please

I run a small fleet of DAF and MAN but have never had a Volvo tractor unit. I see there is a few Euro 5 FH 460s around many 900,000 kms + but well priced and Im told theyre great trucks.

We dont run in London or the centre of major cities so euro 5 is ok, or do we spend the extra on a euro 6 and hope a newer truck will run better?

Which years and models do people reccomend, things to watch for etc - any help greatly appreciated.

redford9000:
I run a small fleet of DAF and MAN but have never had a Volvo tractor unit. I see there is a few Euro 5 FH 460s around many 900,000 kms + but well priced and Im told theyre great trucks.

We dont run in London or the centre of major cities so euro 5 is ok, or do we spend the extra on a euro 6 and hope a newer truck will run better?

Which years and models do people reccomend, things to watch for etc - any help greatly appreciated.

Those 08 plate 480s were a bit of a problem for us, various incidents which we never saw in the 460s

If you treat them well [R&M wise], they do go on for ever, the classics are the mutts nutts [V3] IMO…

What are you looking to pay ?

thanks Stanley

I am looking at a few 11, 12 and 13 plates - FH 460s and FH 500s around for about £10-13k - could be just luck but we seem to have better reliability with a well maintained Euro 5 than a euro 6 but thats just us. Euro 6’s are £20k + and I would spend that if I thought Volvos 2014 + were all round better trucks.

I have a 62 plate 500 and it’s been a good lorry to us. Nudging 800k now.

In five years it’s had - Adblue pump, water pump, radiator, a wire on the starter motor, a couple of loom sections replaced - electric hardware don’t seem fantastic on them - and just this week a ABS sensor. The lads who maintain it have told me to expect a few airbags and bushes next year. Compared to similar aged Dafs and Scanias friends have, I don’t think that’s too bad.

From a drivers point of view I can’t fault it, loads of grunt, ishift still superb, air con still ice cold, I sleep like a baby in it when I night out and imo they are still a good looking motor. I got the tacho calibration done at volvo Peterborough last month and the lads there tell me the V3 is the best of the bunch.

900,000 at that mileage they are not ■■■■■■ but they are well on their way put your hand deeper in your pocket and buy yourself a brand new one

SHYTOT:
900,000 at that mileage they are not [zb] but they are well on their way put your hand deeper in your pocket and buy yourself a brand new one

I got quoted £105k for new 460 I-See, all singing/dancing the other week, too much for me even if they are the mutts nutts on fuel

Everything is too “up in the air” for me economy wise to spend that type of dosh, its bloody good ATM, but it won`t take too much for dark clouds to appear [IMO]…

I`m getting a bit tired of all the crap that goes with the job, so a couple of 500k FH4s will suffice with some change left for the time being :wink:

redford9000:
thanks Stanley

I am looking at a few 11, 12 and 13 plates - FH 460s and FH 500s around for about £10-13k - could be just luck but we seem to have better reliability with a well maintained Euro 5 than a euro 6 but thats just us. Euro 6’s are £20k + and I would spend that if I thought Volvos 2014 + were all round better trucks.

Just be careful as some of the FH4s on a 14 plate still have the old Euro5 engines in them.