New truck

Now this should set the cat amongst the pigeons,at present I own a daf 105 manual it’s done over 1,1 million km and I can honestly say it’s been the best truck I have ever owned really good on diesel and to many people’s surprise on here it has been super reliable I have had it from new I bought it just before the 106 came out.
I am 59 this year and after much thought of what to do to pack up or carry on I have decided I have got one more truck in me, the question is do you by one of the last 106’s which you can still get in a manual and is tried and tested or do you go for one of the new ones which you can only get in auto at present I am waiting for a quote to come back on both a 106 and an xg+ I will just add I have only driven an auto once and that was only for 5 miles and I did not like it but that was years ago on an 11 plate
I know the xg+ is a bit over the top but I have been on my own for 18 years been driving long distance for 36 years and this will be my last truck no matter which one I buy I have only had 3 trucks in all the time I have been on my own all daf ,I stick with daf simply because I get treated so well with my dealer.There is absolutely nothing wrong with the present truck but my hand is being forced because euro 6 is coming in every where people’s thoughts please .

Im in exactly the same position, my 106 manual has served me well but im being swayed towards a run out version of the old model (if they bring one out, most manufacturers do)
The price tag of 120k for the new one with all the bells and whistles is a bit rich for a Daf in my opinion

Do you but the last of the XF or a new XG+ …As is well known new models have teething issues no matter what make …Problems will take longer to fix as the dealer network at present no nothing about the new cab .On a plus note if the truck as much as hiccups DAF will want to know and will endeavour to get it fixed ,no one want the new model in workshops with issues …If you get on well with your dealer which you obviously do ,get out in the Demo and if you like it ,let them know you want first refusal when they sell it …Our place sells the demo rather rapidly …I dont know if there is a limit time they have to lend it out before they sell it

The software on the 11 plate auto you say you had a drive in was changed in 2016? I think. And the whole box and control gear for it changed again in 2018■■. Try for a longer drive in a newer 106 and you might get on with it. I had a 2006 that went home a few years ago with original box and clutch about 1m km. Currently in a 65 auto that whines, clunks and doesnt inspire much confidence at 700k km. In truth though its never let me down and no ad-blue issues at all. Not as pleasant a drive as the `06.
The early autos are fine on main roads, but freighted on hills are awful if left to their own devices. They will rev and slip the clutch when manoeuvering too. Depending on settings they will default from “man” to “auto” but that can be overcome in the workshop.
My 460 auto gets about half an mpg more than the prev 480 manual and does get a slightly quicker trip time.

The later, current autos are better, but Ive only driven them for a couple of days so cant say too much. Probably worth a long test to see how you go with one.

Get the manual you like and know and trust while you still can, pound to a penny if you get the auto you’ll end up driving it in manual anyway (annoyance frustration etc), ask me how i know this…same box different make of tractor.

As Norb rightly says, and he should know, the old model the mechanics know inside out, i’d want to wait at least 12 months after launch before taking on a complete new model, give 'em a chance to iron the bugs out and the mechnaics to get their heads around the thing.
You’ll be quids in too.

By the way, my most recent long term Daf was a 460 manual with the 16 speed box, cracking lorry which i was really sorry to see go, pulled like a train romped away from junctions like no auto can compare with and very economical.

My advice to you, is that if after such a prolonged period driving manuals (I do miss them myself), and you do not have a pronounced limp, is to specify an auto box. The physical toll in a long truck driving career is under rated. Most of the older guys I know who had a lifetime of d/clutching have hip or knee probs. Also know a few o/d’s who were so old school, they could not countenance an auto box, and would break into a cold sweat at the thought of any probs with said box.
I have had the opti-cruise box out of mine with selector probs, and its not a big deal. It is a pig to drive, but I can live without pressing a clutch pedal hundreds of times a day, and the issues that it causes. Think beyond driving.

I’d put my hand up for XG, looks fab [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

I reckon Profs got the price of a new XG and fell off his chair :laughing:

Anyway in case he,s still waiting,

Midlift 530 S/S 16sp manual with every option ticked £96,000 excluding R&M

New XG+ £121,500 with all the bells and whistle + 2yrs R&M

Old shape delivery end Jan 2022, new shape end of July 2022

Both include 3yrs full warranty

Thank you every one for your reply’s ,this has been one of the most stressful times in my driving career as an owner driver on which way to go I have changed my mind more times than the English weather.
All of you have very valid points on the one hand you have the tried and tested with a manual and on the other a completely new lorry which has to prove its self with a price tag of about 30k more both of which will do the same job,looking at it from purely a Buisness point of view it makes more sense to have the 106 although when you come to sell them I believe you would get a lot more for the xg but weather you would get your full 30 k back I am not sure,in my experience when ever you try an sell a lorry every body wants it for rock bottom.
I have had two quotes
The 106 came out fully loaded with what I want at £95,670 with 3 year preventive maintenance package warranty plus 2 year vehicle 3 year driveline but the quote said 16 speed auto so I am just checking if it’s a manual or auto
The xg came out at £124,270 with three years full R and M and warranty plus of 2 year vehicle and 3 year driveline
When I saw the salesman 2 weeks ago the delivery time for the 106 was March the xg they have a few slots for October depending how quick the order is placed or March it does not matter to me as I only need it by may when the lez zone for greater Manchester starts supposedly and I would sooner keep my old lorry during the winter and get the new one registered in the new year.
Time is not on my side as I need a euro 6 by May so I have got another meeting with the salesman Monday to place an order we will just have to see which way I go

Juddian:
Get the manual you like and know and trust while you still can, pound to a penny if you get the auto you’ll end up driving it in manual anyway (annoyance frustration etc), ask me how i know this…same box different make of tractor.

As Norb rightly says, and he should know, the old model the mechanics know inside out, i’d want to wait at least 12 months after launch before taking on a complete new model, give 'em a chance to iron the bugs out and the mechnaics to get their heads around the thing.
You’ll be quids in too.

By the way, my most recent long term Daf was a 460 manual with the 16 speed box, cracking lorry which i was really sorry to see go, pulled like a train romped away from junctions like no auto can compare with and very economical.

Been driving an old 460 with Manual 16 speed today, must say it is quite a nice drive !, and it only has 300k on the clock, runs sweet

I.ve just specced mine, im staying with the old shape, love my manual but gone for the 16sp Auto this time, its night and day different to the old clunky box of years ago and works much better with the Intarder,
Word to Profesor, try the new Auto before you commit to a manual, i was very impressed and strangely speccing the Intarder brought the R&M price down to the point where the 2k Intarder worked out at £400

chaversdad:
I.ve just specced mine, im staying with the old shape, love my manual but gone for the 16sp Auto this time, its night and day different to the old clunky box of years ago and works much better with the Intarder,
Word to Profesor, try the new Auto before you commit to a manual, i was very impressed and strangely speccing the Intarder brought the R&M price down to the point where the 2k Intarder worked out at £400

So, they reckon an intarder will save them paying out on brakes and discs?
Engine brake on current truck, but previous one had a proper intarder. That plus a simple exhaust brake made for a truck a joy to drive on mountain roads. Quick and safe descents with cool service brakes.

Just out of interest re brake wear that Franglais has mentioned.

My wagon only has an exhauster but its really quite decent, when loaded i’m 43t+, mixed road use, i’ve driven it probably 60% of its total mileage in manual override making maximum use of auxilliary braking at appropriate revs, others who use it generally drive on the brakes as is the modern way (even know one or two bods who have switched off the auto exhaust facilty citing discomfort during auto downshifts :open_mouth: ), i know how its driven because the front wheels are caked in brake dust when i get back in.
All original brakes, last inspection @ 360k the lads reckon front and drive axle are getting down towards 25% pads left so new pads on axles 1 and 3 are planned next month, probably around the 370/380k mark, mid lift still on 90%.
I think i could have made around 600k had i been the only driver.

How does that compare to others on similar heavy work, both with retarding underspecced as mine is and those that had the sense to order intarder or other retarders.
I’m asking because a friend with a Daf with Daf’s version of Jake needed new mid lift pads at 100k, which baffled me somewhat, have no idea what other vehicles in the fleet might be achieving, as you might imagine few would take any interest.

It’s been a tough call but just letting every body know that I placed an order today for delivery in march,there is pro’s and con’s which ever way you go in the end I went for a XG+ my reason for this it supposed to be better on fuel it’s my last truck and I fancied something a bit special, I know it’s wise not to buy the first of a new range but I figure by having it in march the fitters will have come across one or two of them by then and as it’s on 3 years R & M all breakdowns are covered hopefully there will not be too many of them.
I will miss the manual box but maybe it’s time for me to move forward with the times when the I phone first came out I hated them but now I could not be without it for emails photos etc I hope I feel the same way with the auto but time will tell sometimes you just have to take a chance
I would just like to thank everybody for the views and opinions

Good on you Prof, how much for the old one. :smiley:

Thank you Wally old one all ready sold 2 people wanted it the person I sold it to asked me for 1st refusal when ever I sold it years ago which I did.We agreed a price of which I am more than happy with which I would sooner not say on here just incase the buyer does not want people to know but the best thing is he has bought it to do shows with in years to come,which makes me really happy to think the truck will be well cared for and is such a fitting end to such a good lorry

Glad you got sorted, i think the auto will be a pleasant surprise,
I didnt go through with mine in the end, a trailer i have been after for a while came up.for sale so i bought that instead, only cost a 3rd of what the new truck would have been so i.ve even managed to keep the wife happy :smiley:

Good on you. Last truck and affordable so why not, after all you’re the boss.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Professor:
It’s been a tough call but just letting every body know that I placed an order today for delivery in march,there is pro’s and con’s which ever way you go in the end I went for a XG+ my reason for this it supposed to be better on fuel it’s my last truck and I fancied something a bit special, I know it’s wise not to buy the first of a new range but I figure by having it in march the fitters will have come across one or two of them by then and as it’s on 3 years R & M all breakdowns are covered hopefully there will not be too many of them.
I will miss the manual box but maybe it’s time for me to move forward with the times when the I phone first came out I hated them but now I could not be without it for emails photos etc I hope I feel the same way with the auto but time will tell sometimes you just have to take a chance
I would just like to thank everybody for the views and opinions

Late to this thread.
I believe you have definitely made the right leap of faith in ordering the XG.

I bloody hope so, because I have also placed an order for an XG+[emoji51]

Mine to replace an S650 at the same eye watering price I paid for the V8 Scania 2 years ago.

After running 6 Dafs without any roadside assistance I first ventured away to Volvo x3, and Scania x2, all but 1 of the Swede’s required roadside assistance , 1 FH12 and 1 S650 required recovery. Only one FH12 was absolutely faultless, the rest, always “ something “ minor wrong.

Dafs always got me home, or at least to nearest service dealer.

I have never been afraid to take the risk of the latest model to gain the latest economy and comfort. My first brand new truck was an 1990 95-400.

To mitigate the risk with the XG, they are ( I am led to believe ) live connected to DAF and DAF are also aware of where every XG is sold and maintained.

I truly hope that they have changed the warnings sound though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first of any model no matter what make /brand / car /truck/ TV etc etc will always have issues …Some like to be the first to have something and they will suffer the issues and complain ,other wait till they are ironed out and chill