Filling hole in DAF floor

DAF operators will know that the floor in the footwells is a weak point on the XF models, often leading to the covering cracking where the driver’s right heel rests, resulting in water/dirt ingress and eventually leading to a hole. What would be the best product to fill/repair such a hole? It’s right through the padding/insulation to the metal underneath so there is a good inch to inch and a half to fill. Expanding foam has been suggested to level it out with the rest of the floor area and then cover with a rubber mat to prevent further water ingress but feels like a bit of a bodge to me. Any better suggestions?

DCPCFML:
DAF operators will know that the floor in the footwells is a weak point on the XF models, often leading to the covering cracking where the driver’s right heel rests, resulting in water/dirt ingress and eventually leading to a hole. What would be the best product to fill/repair such a hole? It’s right through the padding/insulation to the metal underneath so there is a good inch to inch and a half to fill. Expanding foam has been suggested to level it out with the rest of the floor area and then cover with a rubber mat to prevent further water ingress but feels like a bit of a bodge to me. Any better suggestions?

“The floor”? The rubber mat?
Buy a new one. If it has cracked and has stagnant water in it already it`ll always be crap.

Franglais do me a favour please and stay out of my threads and do not respond to my posts. I have ZERO interest in anything you have to say. As the old saying goes, empty vessels make the most noise and that cap fits you perfectly. Just take the hint and go away.

DCPCFML:

Use tyre filler, not that stuff for punctures.
I did a repair on a CF and it lasted 3 years until the vehicle was sold, sets in around 5 minutes and will not go soggy like expanding foam will. See your local tyre fitter as they will have surely have some on the van

tyre-fill-cartridge-50ml-1437-p.jpg

Thanks Pete. That looks interesting. What is it exactly then? 50ml is a tiny amount and would require quite a bit to fill the hole there. Is it like a liquid rubber compound then which sets like, well, rubber? What primer did you use on the surrounding broken floor area/insulation padding and the metal floor pan for it to bond?

DCPCFML:
Thanks Pete. That looks interesting. What is it exactly then? 50ml is a tiny amount and would require quite a bit to fill the hole there. Is it like a liquid rubber compound then which sets like, well, rubber? What primer did you use on the surrounding broken floor area/insulation padding and the metal floor base for it to bond?

I used thinners to clean the area, cut any loose bits of the under lay out and just borrowed the filler off my tyre man, they have it in the same size as a silicon tube with the same gun on. If the tyre man comes in the yard this week I’ll get a pic of the product he uses.

We use this one.

ebay.co.uk/itm/161235884671 … 101224.m-1

pete smith:

DCPCFML:
Thanks Pete. That looks interesting. What is it exactly then? 50ml is a tiny amount and would require quite a bit to fill the hole there. Is it like a liquid rubber compound then which sets like, well, rubber? What primer did you use on the surrounding broken floor area/insulation padding and the metal floor base for it to bond?

I used thinners to clean the area, cut any loose bits of the under lay out and just borrowed the filler off my tyre man, they have it in the same size as a silicon tube with the same gun on. If the tyre man comes in the yard this week I’ll get a pic of the product he uses.

Excellent, cheers. Think I might have to break out the vacuum cleaner to hoover up all the small bits of grit which stubbornly refuse to come out with a hand brush and then cut away the sides to make for a clean area to bond to (or the other way round probably).

Trucky Mc truckface:
We use this one.

Ooh that looks like just the job, thanks. Have bought stuff from Somerset Commercials before too - good company to do business with.

Trucky Mc truckface:
We use this one.

That stuff is brilliant. I have repaired holes in my 4x4 tyres caused when offroading , tubeless and hole about 2" x2" with a gaiter patch in side , left for 24 hours for best curing and lasted untill tyre wore out a coup[le of years later, Good for minor tread damage on truck tyres ,floor mats, stable mats where the nags have worn holes in the mat