Starting up alone

I’m seriously thinking of starting up on my own.
Am I right I need to.do a transport managers course . Then apply for an operating licence.
Have heard you can outsource the transports
manager part. For a monthly cost?
Bit thinking I’d rather do the course.
And if so any recommendations of courses In The Manchester area
Thanks

edd1974:
I’m seriously thinking of starting up on my own.
Am I right I need to.do a transport managers course . Then apply for an operating licence.
Have heard you can outsource the transports
manager part. For a monthly cost?
Bit thinking I’d rather do the course.
And if so any recommendations of courses In The Manchester area
Thanks

What you need most is a good source of income.

There’s shed loads of previous posts on “going it alone”, have a browse of those first then post back if you still have questions.

Some training providers offer a discount if you live so many miles away or a radius, it may seem mad so bear with me , the manager course is very hard and is similar to taking an advance level so taking a residential course is a good idea as it gets you out of your local area and daily habits or rituals in order to concentrate on studying in a different area .
I can recommend Friendberry training near Taunton , they find the accommodation and venue , either in Stogumber or Wiveliscombe both are not far from Minehead and Watchet for a pint at night after studying ( Nominated non drinking car driver ) , and the bonus of picturesque countryside.
Plenty of decent pubs in the area as well .

Do you really want the hassle/ headache/ insomnia/ premature baldness or a heart attack from owning a lorry, the difference in profits from being your own boss and being an employed driver is not much difference, literally a few hundred quid for all the hassle then factor in dealing with DVLA enforcement?
A burnt out clutch, knackered gear box , tyre blow out, will send your profits to the bin .

Tarmaceater:
Do you really want the hassle/ headache/ insomnia/ premature baldness or a heart attack from owning a lorry, the difference in profits from being your own boss and being an employed driver is not much difference, literally a few hundred quid for all the hassle then factor in dealing with DVLA enforcement?
A burnt out clutch, knackered gear box , tyre blow out, will send your profits to the bin .

+1 I did it for 10 years, it’s a very hard life trying to keep your head above water. You think you getting ahead and making a reasonable profit then either customer goes bang, lorry goes bang or someone undercuts and nicks your work. I found I was making as much being a normal driver than I was running my own.

Then worse it’s like a drug, once you got over the stress and heartache you start wanting more, but I know it would be the worse thing I could do giving it another go.

Last thing it rules your life 7 days a week 52 weeks a year. You never have a life away from the business.

I thought about going alone. I did the transport mangers course. Because after a lot of enquiries. I couldn’t get a transport manager to take me on. Or they were asking stupid money per month.
Personally I think the best option is 4 on 4 off with one other driver as a minimum.
Wagons in use every day. Shared costs, gains and losses.
Decent motor. Halve the stress with two man team.
I decided not to go alone. It would have meant I’m on the road 24/7. I don’t want that. So I currently do 4 on 4 off work. And it’s a great work life balance.
I’d seriously consider teaming up with a n another driver. But it’s finding the right guy.
I’d consider a 3 year term as a try. And it it didn’t work out. Then back to the other job.
Bonus being a qualified transport manager. I can self cert.

elsa Lad:
Last thing it rules your life 7 days a week 52 weeks a year. You never have a life away from the business.

Not if you do it right :wink:

chaversdad:

elsa Lad:

Not if you do it right :wink:

:blush: :blush:

Why not ask Carryfast, as our resident expert he knows the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. But he says it is not 42.

cav551:
Why not ask Carryfast, as our resident expert he knows the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. But he says it is not 42.

Like button please admin :smiley: