Changes to drivers' hours and tachograph rules

The EU drivers’ hours and tachographs rules will change on 20 August 2020.
Operators and drivers should review the changes to the current rules and prepare to comply from 20 August 2020.

Changes to EU driving rules from 20 August

EU drivers’ hours and tachograph rules will change on 20 August.

The new rules will include:
-a requirement for drivers’ to ‘return home’ every 4 weeks
-a ban on taking regular weekly rest periods in the driver’s vehicle
-a new definition of ‘non-commercial carriage’
-more flexibility on the scheduling of the rest periods for some drivers on international carriage of goods
-new provisions for rests and breaks for drivers when journeys involve transport by ferry or by rail
-a new requirement to keep a full record of all other work.

Find out more: Drivers' hours: EU rules - GOV.UK

These make great reading if you knew the old rules, as a new document to a new driver I think it will still confuse many, however as it is a staged roll out when the new smart tachograph is introduced in 2024 you will be well and truly a job slave, you will be routed by Ross on Wye or Swindon Grease Bowl by the last pointy shoes you upset [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To understand the changes you need to be able to read the old regs alongside the new to apprecite the difference.

I can’t find the section about needing to keep a full record of all other work. I am simply not prepared to keep a daily record down to every time I have a cup of tea for the whole year when I only drive in-scope about three times a year. I shall continue to carry my diary with an entry that I am not a driver and my normal hours of work are usually a period between 0700 to 1800 Monday to Friday. If that ain’t good enough they can poke it.

cav551:
To understand the changes you need to be able to read the old regs alongside the new to apprecite the difference.

I can’t find the section about needing to keep a full record of all other work. I am simply not prepared to keep a daily record down to every time I have a cup of tea for the whole year when I only drive in-scope about three times a year. I shall continue to carry my diary with an entry that I am not a driver and my normal hours of work are usually a period between 0700 to 1800 Monday to Friday. If that ain’t good enough they can poke it.

The old regulations always said it was to promote fair competition and a level playing field, that appears to have been removed in exchange for a happy cuddly life for the driver. There is quite a big difference between domestic drivers and International drivers now, the weekly rest and compensation. Its not difficult.

But I laugh when I read of the common website that will hold the details of all these super new parking areas with accommodation stretched across the continent, they have to be clean and tidy, paid for by the company and suitable for all genders. :laughing:

They must have:

— intrusion detection and prevention,
— lighting and visibility,
— emergency contact points and procedures,
— gender-friendly sanitary facilities,
— food and beverage purchasing options,
— communications connections,
— power supply.

Looks super! Like a Trip Advisor for Lorryists

You can also take part of your weekly rest on a ferry or train provided the journey is over 8 hours.

The Tachograph looks amazing too with a facility to enter every border crossing you use, you have to stop and enter the country you are leaving and the country you are entering, plus enter where you are every 3 hours during the working day. This may bring back the camaraderie of yesteryear, where we can plan our weekends in advance, grab a coffee with a mate on the border. The tacho will also tell the ministry you are running overweight using an on board weigher.

The Tachograph looks amazing too with a facility to enter every border crossing you use, you have to stop and enter the country you are leaving and the country you are entering, plus enter where you are every 3 hours during the working day. This may bring back the camaraderie of yesteryear, where we can plan our weekends in advance, grab a coffee with a mate on the border.

eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … 32016R0799

You need a stiff drink to read this lot - but it seems that according to the 4.5.3.2.16 line the 3 hour positioning is done automatically.
4.5.3.2.16 Three hours’ continuous driving places data

(305)

The driver card shall be able to store the following data related to the position of the vehicle where the continuous driving time of the driver reaches a multiple of three hours:

the date and time when the continuous driving time of the card holder reaches a multiple of three hours,

the position of the vehicle.

the GNSS accuracy, date and time when the position was determined.

(306)

The driver card shall be able to store at least 252 such records.

I’m using EGNOS

But I like the acronym for the parking regulations.

TEN T

Transport European Network Trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
But I laugh when I read of the common website that will hold the details of all these super new parking areas with accommodation stretched across the continent, they have to be clean and tidy, paid for by the company and suitable for all genders. :laughing:

They must have:

— intrusion detection and prevention,
— lighting and visibility,
— emergency contact points and procedures,
— gender-friendly sanitary facilities,
— food and beverage purchasing options,
— communications connections,
— power supply.

Looks super! Like a Trip Advisor for Lorryists

No worries mate if you are staying local as Brexit is just around the corner so no change required to the MSA’s, lay-by’s and other crap-holes so I guess you will be delighted with that.

So your old U.K. Trip Advisor it will work fine for the next 10 years unfortunately as there is no way Westminster will bring in such legislation for truck parking I fear :cry: :cry:

On the other hand some of the already far superior European Truck facilities may have to up their game a little which will be made much easier now by the difficulty in flagging out your fleet to EE in these new regs and Oops… The driver will need to return home every month and the truck every 2 months now as well as far as I understand it.

Could have done a bit more but big improvements in my eyes so bring it on but too little too late for U.K. International Transport Ltd. I fear.

Has anyone got a decent link to the new rules. So far can only find copies or links to the EU regulation, none of the usual format by DVsA and others.
For example, “ othe non-commercial” carriage. What is it. I’ve not had the luck to spot it in etc EU version.

Acorn:
Has anyone got a decent link to the new rules. So far can only find copies or links to the EU regulation, none of the usual format by DVsA and others.
For example, “ othe non-commercial” carriage. What is it. I’ve not had the luck to spot it in etc EU version.

Are you possibly thinking of vehicles that operate under UK Domestic rules?
Therefore, they wont be in EU regs?

Acorn:

Hi Acorn,

Here’s my take on it:

Other non commercial carriage is covered as follows:

REGULATION (EU) 2020/1054 Article 1 provides a new definition of “other non commercial carriage” by adding the following to Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 Article 4:

‘(r) “non-commercial carriage” means any carriage by road, other than carriage for hire or reward or on own account, for which no direct or indirect remuneration is received and which does not directly or indirectly generate any income for the driver of the vehicle or for others, and which is not linked to professional or commercial activity.’;

To see how this works in practice, I’d suggest that you read (the original) of Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 Article 4, then simply add the bit I’ve put in the quote to the bottom of what you’re reading. The “r” in brackets is important!

Said in an easy way… they’ve just added a proper definition to something that was a bit vague in 561/2006.

cav551:

This^^^ and thrice this^^^

cav551:

Here’s my take on it:

Recording other work is covered here:

REGULATION (EU) 2020/1054 Article 1 (the new Regs) makes the following change to 561/2006 (the old Regs.) :

in Article 6, paragraph 5 (of the original of 561/2006) is replaced by the following:

‘5. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as described in point (e) of Article 4 as well as any time spent driving a vehicle used for commercial operations that do not fall within the scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of availability, as defined in point (b) of Article 3 of Directive 2002/15/EC, in accordance with point (b)(iii) of Article 34(5) of Regulation (EU) No 165/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council (*). This record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet or printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment.

To see how this works in practice, I’d suggest that you read (the original) of Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 Article 6 paragraph 5, then imagine cutting the quote above and sticking it directly on top of Article 6 paragraph 5 of the old Regs so that it completely covers over the old paragraph 5. Then (after the glue dries!) re-read the whole thing in its newly amended form to see whether or to what extent it actually affects you.

I have got the old and the new on my TV screen and going down reading both sets simultaneously

So the opportunity came along to simplify the rules, sort the ridiculous legal hours out, and to get us working sensible hours to 21 st Century standards…and this is what the useless ■■■■ s came up with. :unamused:
Brilliant!.

robroy:
So the opportunity came along to simplify the rules, sort the ridiculous legal hours out, and to get us working sensible hours to 21 st Century standards…and this is what the useless [zb] s came up with. :unamused:
Brilliant!.

They’re never going to sort out the long hours. There would have to be an increase the base pay somewhat, however there is no reason to when there’s numptys willing to slog out 60 hour weeks at £9 per hour. When morons stop working for peanuts the rates will increase. Either that or they will find a new country to import even worse drivers from and pay them EVEN less

Trucking sideways:

robroy:
So the opportunity came along to simplify the rules, sort the ridiculous legal hours out, and to get us working sensible hours to 21 st Century standards…and this is what the useless [zb] s came up with. :unamused:
Brilliant!.

They’re never going to sort out the long hours. There would have to be an increase the base pay somewhat, however there is no reason to when there’s numptys willing to slog out 60 hour weeks at £9 per hour. When morons stop working for peanuts the rates will increase. Either that or they will find a new country to import even worse drivers from and pay them EVEN less

I’ve said this countless times on here, this was all part of the plan when ‘‘they’’ offered drivers the same rate right through in the form of an hourly pay increase, but at the cost of doing away with the 40hours then time and a half system.
Drivers were gullible and stupid enough (no surprise there) to accept the terms thinking that the hourly rate would increase each year…it didn’t, and so we ended up working more hours for less money than we did over 10 yrs previously.
You say 60 hours…try 70/75 +, then listen to them telling you they are on ‘‘good money’’ after looking at the top line, and ignoring the fact they have worked a week and a half in a week for it. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
I have got the old and the new on my TV screen and going down reading both sets simultaneously

IMHO, that’s a great idea… I do exactly that when confronted with amendment Regs, and I honestly can’t come up with anything that’s more efficient. :smiley:

Its taken a while to get round to this, but I was asked about these new regulations, especially about sleeping in the cab. I am intrigued with the Gender Friendly term in these political correct times.

‘8. The regular weekly rest periods and any weekly rest period of more than 45 hours taken in compensation for previous reduced weekly rest periods shall not be taken in a vehicle. They shall be taken in suitable gender- friendly accommodation with adequate sleeping and sanitary facilities.
Any costs for accommodation outside the vehicle shall be covered by the employer.’