Owning and operating a truck for private use

Hi all, it’s my first post here, so I’m sorry that it’s a query as opposed to anything useful, but I hope you don’t mind and can maybe guide me in the right direction :smiley:.

I’ve been searching for information on this topic for some time, and I can only find bits and pieces. It may be that I’m searching for the wrong things, but I’d like to be clear on everything before I head down this path! I’m a total newbie, so I’m sorry if I’m asking stupid questions.

I’m a private individual, and I have a number of hobbies that involve the moving of quite large things on a semi-regular basis. These things often vary in the type of trailer needed to move them, but essentially all of them have required a large truck. As the haulage bills are racking up, and driving a truck has always seemed like something interesting and fun to do, I’ve been considering doing my C+E and buying myself a tractor unit and doing my own moving of things. I think I’d enjoy it, I have plenty of space to keep the tractor unit, and I think it would be a useful thing to own.

I understand that once I’ve done the C+E and bought a tractor unit, I can change it’s tax classification to a private vehicle meaning it only incurs a small amount of tax, is this correct? If so, what is the process for doing this? Is there an easy process to change this back if I wanted to sell the vehicle?

On the subject of trailers, is it possible to rent trailers on a daily basis, or would I have to buy my own? If renting is possible, would they rent to a private owner such as myself in this scenario?

I’m likely to only do between 7,000 and 10,000 miles per year in the tractor, and as such I’ve been looking at the lower end of the market as I don’t think I need something newer and the higher miles shouldn’t be as much of an issue. I’ve seen Renaults, Ivecos, DAFs, MANs, and Scanias for what seems to be very cheap money, I imagine the subject is a complex one but I’d be keen to know if there are any major show stoppers with any of the major brands or things I should look out for.

I’m also not really sure if I need a 4x2 or a 6x2, can anybody advise me of what the real world difference is?

If I’m a private operator, what are the rules regarding the tacho? It seems to be a rather confusing subject and I’d really appreciate some clarity on it if anyone can help!

Finally, I’m likely to want to take the vehicle to Europe on occasion, Brexit aside is this going to be fairly simple for me to do or is it a significantly more complicated process than driving a car across?

I should add, that a friend of mine is a truck mechanic and has very kindly offered to come and inspect any vehicle I look at prior to purchase, so I needn’t worry about that as much.

Many thanks for any help you can provide, and I hope you’re all safe and well during these strange times of COVID-19!

You can tax it as private HGV, £165 a year I think, DVLA usual lead times apply.
You do not need 6 weekly inspections but it will need keeping on top of, I have friends whose lorries see a garage once a year for the MoT and they wonder why they have tyres go, brake chambers etc when they want to use it. Anything over 3500kg needs a tacho some will disagree but this was the advice from DVSA I had, unless you have a older unit which is exempt :sunglasses:
Europe not a problem but be prepared to robustly prove you are not on hire or reward work if stopped.
Find a club that offers recovery cover it could save you thousands.
I would buy anything without adblue and with good spares availability. Drums are happier standing around than disc brakes.

If the OP is using it absolutely only for private use, then tacho is NOT required. The DVSA document item No30 refers at assets.publishing.service.gov.u … ograph.pdf

i do not use any exemptions, my truck is an 05 merc recovery, i test it, i get it checked/repaired by a commercial garage, and use tachos every trip, when stopped i just handed over what ever they wanted and waved goodbye in less than 10 mins, the picture was taken in the Netherlands on our way to a truck show,

Hobby trucks are a much riskier and potentially expensive prospect for anyone not already in the haulage or truck operating game to start with where it can be piggybacked on the existing business costs and things like 20% vat etc, rightly or wrongly, can then be claimed back through the business

If you’ve also got to get a c+e first the whole thing is unlikely to be a cheap endeavour but if you’re smitten with artic ownership fair enough it’s perfectly doable but I’d say be realistic and budget on at least £5k potentially more you’re prepared to lose when one tyre bill too many tips you into calling it a day.