Car Transporter Business Advice

Hi Guys.

I’ve been out of the Army about a year and I’ve spent most of that time working as a trade player.(AKA mug). I’m considering setting up by myself with a pickup truck and trailer or a 3.5t beaver tail.

It appears that most of the work these days goes through online platforms such as Movex and Shiply. I guess my question is pretty simple; if you’ve been involved in this sort of work or are currently, how viable is it as a one man band? I’d be looking at a low mileage second hand vehicle - 10 - 12k so including insurance I’m projecting around £350 - £400 a month operating costs excluding fuel.

It is doable or are the rates so low as to make it unworkable these days?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

What weight do you plan to keep to? If 3.5t then pro is outside of O licence but typically only 1 veh per load, if over 3.5t the you join the O licence needs but can carry more vehicle. As always as a one man band, when you are driving, you can’t be looking for the next job, paperwork for the last one etc.

Remember a recovery vehicle at best will weigh around 1800kg plus the driver, so much more than an Astra or Mondeo will put you on or above the limit, twin wheels may stop it rolling so much but will make it heavier with no increase in payload.

Operator Licencing is not your friend when you have a hot shot to Nardo or Wolfsburg

Is what I do, although predominantly I do enclosed vehicles high value sports & classics, yes it’s viable but not really as a single car at the movex shiply, crap from Co part etc rates, no idea how guys who do that make it pay, well I do really, they do mental miles & hours & jobs for peanuts usually for right scumbags & have crap cheap insurance.

Mate of mine tried, did 120k miles a yr, barely broke even, gave it up & drives for others now.

I’ve been at it 15 yrs so got a good client base etc, good mix of work & busy etc, but do still lose work to the cheap guys.

iguana:
Is what I do, although predominantly I do enclosed vehicles high value sports & classics, yes it’s viable but not really as a single car at the movex shiply, crap from Co part etc rates, no idea how guys who do that make it pay, well I do really, they do mental miles & hours & jobs for peanuts usually for right scumbags & have crap cheap insurance.

Mate of mine tried, did 120k miles a yr, barely broke even, gave it up & drives for others now.

I’ve been at it 15 yrs so got a good client base etc, good mix of work & busy etc, but do still lose work to the cheap guys.

I used to work in recovery for a firm with a 10T. I think it is important to understand the market. The guys I knew who do the van transporter + trailer work just shift cars that are rolling. Most accident work has to be done on a 10T/12T truck with main winch (and other attachments) - the 10T normally having a 17ft bed and the 12T a 22ft bed (allows for the longer vans).

The work is viable as you undercut the recovery firms but it is only shifting rolling cars. Some manage to load collision casualties but it depends on the damage.

I know some of the Military Classic guys look for people to haul Foxes/Scorpions/Staff cars if you will go that heavy. Always summer is the busiest time to move them about, check out the military vehicles mags, and advertise in there. Also, classic cars and bikes go to shows via trailer depends on the weather/event distance.

Remember you can fit a ‘Scimitar’ in a Bergan, but not a Challenger Tank! Good Luck to you!
Ex 17th/21st :sunglasses: