Is it possible to buy an operators license?

Have an opportunity to sub-contract for a major wholesaler but need an operators license- done my research but opportunity won’t be around for 10 weeks it takes to obtain the license is there anyway one can buy the license or business ?

You cannot buy a licence, , even if you bought a running company it would be a major variation to apply for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, 14.00 hrs new pass can’t find work as driver. 20.00hrs looking to launch the haulage company on dodgy licence. What could possibly go wrong?

cav551:
Wow, 14.00 hrs new pass can’t find work as driver. 20.00hrs looking to launch the haulage company on dodgy licence. What could possibly go wrong?

Hardly looking to launch on a dodgy license. Come on here to ask a genuine question and not get sarcasm. Currently working but don’t intend to stand still and be a gopher whilst I
have the opportunities to progress my career.

I’m probably saving you the family home here. I’m sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but given the information provided this is a recipe for disaster. An Operator’s Licence isn’t a tax disc, it’s a commitment to run a haulage business within the legal framework and a guarantee to the Licensing Authority that the person overseeing operations … You… know what you are doing and fully understand what you have committed to.

According to your previous posts, three months after passing your class 1 and just 5 months after starting training for your class 2 and having done your research you reckon that you have gained enough experience to run a haulage business? because that is what becoming an owner driver entails. This confidence based upon not having actually having found a job driving class 1. Frankly it’s a joke, you haven’t learned to crawl let alone walk yet.

Book yourself an Operator’s Certificte of Professional Competence Course which will give you the theoretical knowledge you need: legal requirements ie - financial standing, driver scheduling, maintenance requirements, compliance, rate calculations, operating centre conditions etc.

The haulage business is at the beginning of very serious downturn, not that it was in good shape anyway. Big names will become insolvent, rates are already being slashed by customers and large players are aggressively undercutting rates simply to keep their wheels turning - and they will be targeting your proposed customer.

Spot on, cav.

cav551:
I’m probably saving you the family home here. I’m sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but given the information provided this is a recipe for disaster. An Operator’s Licence isn’t a tax disc, it’s a commitment to run a haulage business within the legal framework and a guarantee to the Licensing Authority that the person overseeing operations … You… know what you are doing and fully understand what you have committed to.

According to your previous posts, three months after passing your class 1 and just 5 months after starting training for your class 2 and having done your research you reckon that you have gained enough experience to run a haulage business? because that is what becoming an owner driver entails. This confidence based upon not having actually having found a job driving class 1. Frankly it’s a joke, you haven’t learned to crawl let alone walk yet.

Book yourself an Operator’s Certificte of Professional Competence Course which will give you the theoretical knowledge you need: legal requirements ie - financial standing, driver scheduling, maintenance requirements, compliance, rate calculations, operating centre conditions etc.

The haulage business is at the beginning of very serious downturn, not that it was in good shape anyway. Big names will become insolvent, rates are already being slashed by customers and large players are aggressively undercutting rates simply to keep their wheels turning - and they will be targeting your proposed customer.

Thank you cav551 now that reply was informal and fair.

I think Cav551 first answer was succinct

Unfortunately you cannot buy an Operator’s Licence but there are people who can help you with the application.

Fleet Planner offers a range of solutions and if you are unsure about anything you can certainly give us a call on 0116 3500335.
We can help with the application process and compliance thereafter should you decide to go for it.

You can get your own TM-CPC and get help to apply for an o-licence, or you can hire in an external TM-CPC holder and then apply for the licence. Either way this is no small undertaking by anyone’s standards, hence the way your post has been received.

If you’re planning on doing the TM CPC you’ll need about £1000 for the two week course. You can try to do it by home study ( :open_mouth: ) but be aware that the case studies exam is not for the faint hearted (and I say that having done a lot of exams in my time). The nationwide pass rate for these exams is low (around 50% at best) and you can only sit the exams four times a year. I’ve seen people studying for these exams have a full-on meltdown and run shouting and screaming from the classroom because they feel like their head is going to explode (and that’s not exaggeration for effect.

Just to let yourself know exactly what it is you’re contemplating (and why your post was greeted in the way it was) try one of these books (pretty much industry “bibles”), currently £54 (first one) or £30 (second one) from that online shop named after the big river (don’t want to fall foul of advertising caveats)

Zac_A:
… try one of these books (pretty much industry “bibles”), currently £54 (first one) or £30 (second one) from that online shop named after the big river (don’t want to fall foul of advertising caveats)

Hi Zac_A,

There’s no problem in mentioning Amazon in the context of your post, because you’re recommending something rather than trying to sell something.

You don’t own or work for Amazon, so in that way, you recommending Amazon isn’t anywhere near being advert.

The TM handbooks by David Lowe are also good reference material.

For a student wishing to take the OCR TM Exams, I’d recommend that the EOS notes have been pretty much industry standard since before I ever taught Operator CPC. I know this because both Chemfreight and Friendberry used EOS notes when I took my own Nat and Int OP CPCs back in 1997 when the awarding body was RSA. :smiley:

And if the tales about the case studies as part of the exam (OCR route) are a concern, thEn consider the CILT route instead. Differing styles with the same outcome.
Ps - nice direct advert by michael@fleetplanner!

Acorn:
… nice direct advert by michael@fleetplanner!

Hi Acorn,

michael@fleetplanner is an authorised forum advertiser, hence his username being displayed in Green.

I can vouch for the EOS study book. I decided on the home study course. The folder cost me about £130 and I booked the exam with a local firm in chipping Norton. I took this folder about with me every where I went (being a day man at the time) was tough going dragging it about…every spare second I had I worked my way through it even took it on holiday with me. This was over a period of 8-10 weeks… And I passed first time. Was not easy but I am far from the sharpest knife in the box.

My Mate done the class room based course and he failed 3 times on the spin. So every one is different. If you have the self dedication I advise the home school version. Saves a shed load of wedge. Cost me about 200 notes all in. Where as my mate cost him about 2k.Hope that helps.

dieseldave:

Acorn:

Hi Acorn,

michael@fleetplanner is an authorised forum advertiser, hence his username being displayed in Green.

The Name colour coding was a nugget of info hadn’t Fully picked up on- my apologies

Acorn:

dieseldave:

Acorn:

Hi Acorn,

The Name colour coding was a nugget of info hadn’t Fully picked up on- my apologies

Hi Acorn,

No need for an apology because unauthorised advertising isn’t allowed by TN’s owners, DVV Media International, but you’d be surprised at how many don’t understand this simple rule because they simply haven’t read the forum rules.

Anyway, back to topic… we’ve now ended up with three choices for the OP if he decides to to his operator CPC.

1.) Home study
2.) Classroom study
3.) CILT

I’ve got no opinion on the CILT method because I don’t know anything about it, but I did classroom study for both of my own Nat and Int CPCs back in 1997.

I also used to teach operator CPC in a classroom, but I stopped doing that around 2008/9 so I could concentrate on ADR and DGSA.

The one comment I’d make about classroom based operator CPC is that the vast majority of tutors I’ve seen tend to teach it by what I call ‘newsreader style’ which just means they read it aloud (verbatim) from the tutor notes instead of making a proper lesson of each of the modules.

On the back of the CPC, starting the application process for an operators licence digs deep into the finances, the maintenance and the parking facilities.

cav551:

Let’s cut to the chase. Given the previous post history they’re not interested in running a business or making money, they just want their name on the door and drape it in Kelsa lights, frilly curtain tassles and 300 dream catchers dangling all over the cab, but you probably won’t be able to see them due to half the windscreen being full of banners for countries they’ve never been to and the other half being blocked by the curtain pelmet :grimacing: . Expect to see it subbing for Maritime at some point in the future with its driver “living the dream”.

I work for a company that has just merged with another, and we have just had to put in a variation to the licence on Friday so that I can become TM on both of them, and not just the one, so Wheel Nut is correct.

Ken.

R420:

cav551:

Let’s cut to the chase. Given the previous post history they’re not interested in running a business or making money, they just want their name on the door and drape it in Kelsa lights, frilly curtain tassles and 300 dream catchers dangling all over the cab, but you probably won’t be able to see them due to half the windscreen being full of banners for countries they’ve never been to and the other half being blocked by the curtain pelmet :grimacing: . Expect to see it subbing for Maritime at some point in the future with its driver “living the dream”.

Thanks for all replies everyone. All taken on board and am booked in for cpc exams in September.