Scania r490 topline or man xxl 440?

Hi,

Two units are under consideration to purchase as follows;

Scania, 14’, 533k km, R490 Topline, Turbo changed at 450k km. Came out full Scania R&M deal from new. Price £31k. Fridge,microwave included, 3 months full warranty included.

MAN XXL 440, 15’, 390k km. Nothing major changed from MAN r&m. Price £25.5k, no warranty, fridge only.

Both been test driven and leave for a decision now.

What do you guys think about these two units. Pros/cons, fuel consumption etc.

Thx in advance,
Andrey

Scania all the way.

Look at after sales market value for Scanias with 1mil vs Man 1mil.

Reliability of a scanny will be much greater than that if a Man. Not saying Man is a bad truck, but its the same as comparing VW Passat with a Bmw 5 series

driverwise,the choice is whatever one you think is most comfortable to your own personal taste.
ownerwise,your paying 10k more for a scania thatl be worth 10k more in 5 years time… 3 monfh warranty is the hook apart from anything else.

So long as that MAN isn’t the EGR engine (ie no adblue), then they are IMHO an underrated vehicle.
The only troubles i had with mine in 800k (paid driver not an OD) were cooling issues, and that engine all had the same or worse troubles sooner or later…so if its the EGR only Walk Away Quickly.
The rest of the drivetrain brakes etc never gave any issues, except for clutch.
Cab fittings can be a bit flimsy, the Scanny has a more robust interior, but both equally reliable, no turbo issues on MAN’s so long as they arn’t abused/neglected.

No doubt its the auto so on a 15 plate it will be Arsetronic, a very reliable box it must be said but make sure its the Profi box able to be driven in manual and not a (rare) basic fleet spec without manual option, and if you learn the ratios and drive it in manual keeping the revs between 1000 and 1500 (she will lug down to 900 quite happily) you will get better economy than in auto, using manual mode to maximise exhaust braking will also see good brake wear (ie over 300k before any pads changes at 43t+), but mainly because in manual mode you will make better smoother progress than leaving the box in auto…the same applies to the Scanny, which has a more responsive box for manual driving but the standard exhaust brake is hopeless.
Little difference between the two in my experience in fuel consumption, which in almost all cases whatever make is down to the driver.

MAN clutch or thrust bearing is likely to fail from around 500k even though not worn as such depending on what work its on, you might get an early warning that its on the way out if you notice increased clutch judder whilst reversing up inclines, if it fails completely you are going nowhere and its a tow in job.

Thank you for the information guys. Most likely will be Scania as their offer also greater than MAN.

I didnt like MAN steering wheel being huge, and kind of laying, not comfortable on single carriageway.
Scania steering wheel can adjust like a car, much straight position and smaller.

Topline has bigger cabin and feels more quality. Plus a new turbo.

Not sure about the Scania cab being bigger? You could do an aerobic workout in the XXL MAN if you were that way inclined. I’m sure you would injure yourself trying to do the same in a Scania. However, you can stick loads of lights on the Scania, half drawer the side curtains so all you see is a pair of arms driving and buy lots of shiny bits off ebay for it.

Ultimately its what works for you

For not too much of a difference in price got to go with the scanny, MAN are ok but the parts and service are hurrendous in my experience, my mate took his in for an ongoing issue and long story short it nearly ended up in court as they were trying to charge him for things that never got done and should never have been touched,

although I would seriously consider a daf super space you will get a lot more for your money and imo a more comfy interior especially when nighting out.