VI plate help needed

I need some advice on my VI paperwork
I have recently bought a 18th Volvo FL6 converted library bus, we are using it for car racing.
There is VI paperwork in the glove box which states the tyres need to 285x80x21.5 all round, but the lorry has 315x70x22.5 on the front and 4 275x70x22.5 on the rear axle, the current tyres are very old so I assume it must have been through numerous tests with these on, do I need to worry about for the next test ? or is just based on the load capacity of the tyres rather than the size ?

You need to be as concerned about the load index, which will be marked similarly to 154/150, the age of the tyres which will be marked similar to 3320 (week no and year which must not be earlier than 0113) and to make sure that the front axle tryes are not marked FRT.

Since you mention the tyres fitted are very old, If you are not aware, extra vigilance regarding the age, load bearing capacity and type of construction and position of fitment has been triggered by two serious multiple fatality accidents, one of which involved a vehicle being used for exactly the same purpose as your own.

You should have in your posession other official VI paperwork:a VTG 5 test certificate, a VTG6A Plate and a VTG7A Plating Certificate. If you haven’t, you need to apply for replacements using form VTG 59. The VTG6A needs to be permanently attached to the cab interior.

ttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk … uments.pdf

Ten years age limit on Goods Vehicle steer axle tyres for the test now?
Being ex library and now? Private Goods?? Will that be relevant to the OP?

Franglais:
Ten years age limit on Goods Vehicle steer axle tyres for the test now?
Being ex library and now? Private Goods?? Will that be relevant to the OP?

Categorisation of defects has not yet been reissued to take into account FRT but this will attract a failure at annual test as from 1/4/2023 if such a tyre is fitted to a front axle. One of my customers has been specifically notified by the DVSA about this because he has a vehicle due for test in January. Currently FRT marked tyres fail annual test if fitted to drive axles according to the poorly worded statement issude to operators by the DVSA.

Date coding in excess of 10 years for front axle tyres will attract a failure at Test IM 8 and an immediate prohibition at roadside according to Cat Def.

IM7 a tyre which does not meet the load index/ply rating requirements will fail OnTest and subject to the examiner’s discretion attract an immediate prohibition at roadside.

Private goods vehicles still have to go for annual HGV test. It was a Mercedes 814 racing car transporter which had a blow out and veered across the central reservation killing the occupants of a car travelling in the opposite direction a few years ago. There was much discussion on this forum about the tragedy at the time . The inquest revealed that the age of the tyre was the immediate cause of the driver losing control of the vehicle. I have not managed to find the right phraseology to get a Google Link.

The potential right to an operator’s licence exemption for racing car transporters is a somewhat contentious issue surrounding prize money and sponsorship.

cav551:
It was a Mercedes 814 racing car transporter which had a blow out and veered across the central reservation killing the occupants of a car travelling in the opposite direction a few years ago. There was much discussion on this forum about the tragedy at the time . The inquest revealed that the age of the tyre was the immediate cause of the driver losing control of the vehicle. I have not managed to find the right phraseology to get a Google Link.

Here?
bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-47387676
gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n … m5-2596585
Described as “horse box” and “converted”, but we know how (in)accurate journos can be.

And agreed, there is a lot of misunderstanding about O-Licence/Tacho rules about these vehicles.
I`m not about to add more to it!

Thanks for all the info, I fully intend to buy all new tyres for the truck, but my question is still regarding the ministry plate info, it states the tyres are 295x80 all round with a load index of 152/148 but the current set up is 315x70 on the steer and 275x70 on the drive, if I match or exceed the load index req’d will it pass the test, or will the tester fail it due to the wrong tyre size ? the new tyres I’m looking to buy have a load index of 156/150 steer and 154/150 drive

You will need to check with the tyre company whether the rim width size is compatible, but I suspect the answer is Yes. You will also have to confirm the existing 315/70 tyres do not foul anything on full lock. Those load index ratings are OK for the axle weights on the plating certificate.