Best tractor unit

JASON280:
I currently run a 2015 volvo fh4 500…and my customer has asked me to put another truck on in the near future… Can I ask advice on what people reckon is the best manufacturer as far as a fleet truck is concerned… I have a volvo as I drive it myself… And like volvos to drive… But obviously this one will be for a driver doing nights away… Been told scania give the best mpg… Especially a V8… Just after some constructive advice… No stupid comments please.

I think I’d be looking for someone else to advise me.

The “best” tractor unit is the one which is the most reliable and makes you the most money. Now is completely the wrong time to be buying. New builds have a 2 year lead time and prices across the board for new and secondhand have gone up by 30% over the past year, plus fuel costs are rising at crazy speeds too.

And as someone else said, getting and keeping a reliable driver who will treat it right and look after it will be your biggest hurdle. All the decent drivers are either happy in their current permie jobs or have their stall set-up right earning mega bucks on agency, so you’ll be picking from the pool of dross that have been banned/sacked from everywhere.