Host Vocational tests on your site?

Good evening all,

I currently deliver Driver CPC + ALLMI lorry loader training and I am currently costing potentially delivering HGV C and C+E training and was looking for some information on hosting the test at my site (i dont currently have a site at present as what they require would dictate where i would set up).

Link for DVSA guidance is below but i find it rather vague

gov.uk/guidance/driving-tes … r-own-site

Has anyone on here went through the process and could give some insight or any comments?

Looking to see if location has a factor as where I live is quite rural but is right along the M74 corridor in Scotland, about half way between Dumfries and Glasgow. I know there is limited built up areas round here so that might go against me.

Additionally they specify “has a level surface in a reasonable condition” … again, very vague… are they looking for concrete/tar or would well rolled planings be sufficient? Obviously looking to minimise costs initially as money may be tight.

Finally, could anyone advise on rough cost for insurance for 1 veh, 1 instructor driving school? 1 18t rigid + tri drawbar trailer plus one instructor.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has made it this far,

Alex

As well as your own site (factors under your control) there are considerations regarding your surrounding area (factors beyond your control). For example Tockwith near York can’t do their HGV tests from their site because of (IIRC) the number of 7.5T weight limit restrictions in the surrounding area, but I believe they can run PCV tests from their site

TBH I reckon DVSA would want to see a concrete or tarmac surface, you’ll need permanent markings laid out for the reversing area. I don’t have direct personal experience of that but I believe I know someone who is going through this process right now so next time I see them I’ll see what they have to say.

Zac_A:
As well as your own site (factors under your control) there are considerations regarding your surrounding area (factors beyond your control). For example Tockwith near York can’t do their HGV tests from their site because of (IIRC) the number of 7.5T weight limit restrictions in the surrounding area, but I believe they can run PCV tests from their site

TBH I reckon DVSA would want to see a concrete or tarmac surface, you’ll need permanent markings laid out for the reversing area. I don’t have direct personal experience of that but I believe I know someone who is going through this process right now so next time I see them I’ll see what they have to say.

No low bridges or restrictions for miles or anything like that, it’s more the lack of proper towns that is the issue I’m concerned about.

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk