Cross of wincham , northwich

heres a few pics my mate took for me last week at g crosses place in northwich , i remember going there years ago and seeing loads of ancient units parked up , dont think theres as many now , will try and get more pics if i go to collect from there.

i was there a few weeks ago,not in the yard but along the canal next to it,i spotted a A series erf with jennings sleeper right in the bush’s,when i was young i remember them running a few of these on tramping,the local word is that the yard’s up for a housing development :frowning:

Great Pictures…Is this a Live site?

paul allen:
Great Pictures…Is this a Live site?

if you mean there still running motors from there yes,but only 1 now,they used to run 20 odd units,there main work is storage now.

God I must be geting old - I have driven some of them :open_mouth:

Not so old as me- I think I’ve driven ALL of them. :unamused:
If anyone has cause to load or deliver to the yard, go in to the office (if you can find it!) where you will see, on the back wall, some photos of the times when Cross’ were in full swing. Fascinating archive material including what is said to be the first 8-wheeler that ERF ever built.
Robert Cross, with his wife, Margaret runs the office these days with brother Dave driving (and maintaining) the only vehicle left on the road. Super people, one of the few places I enjoyed loading from.

Used to go in with containers that ramp was well dodgy, a bit of plate with what looked like angle iron for legs, yard like a bmx track :smiley: but plenty to look at while you were waiting. Sure there was a b series with a tree growing through the cab :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That ramp was a work of genius, Steve! Moving it around the warehouse involved sticking a flt fork through a short length of chain & dragging it. The thing usually slipped off four or five times, waking any dozing driver a bit sharp!
A few years ago some scrote drove a transit van full of empty drums along the canal towpath and emptied Cross’ diesel tank, hence the modern camera system. Probably the only thing they’ve bought new in the last fifty years.
The old lady who cleans the office and makes the tea pours a cup for regular visitors then asks if you want toast. Like I said before, despite the old-fashioned kit and occasional queues, it was one of my favourites, usually three or four times a week at one time.

I called in last year for a chat. they asked me if i wanted the job back. I did not stay long :laughing:

You’d probably have to work a weekend just to get a motor running!

I posted some photos in the Graveyard thread on here, I was being loaded by Robert and I asked if he minded me wandering round and taking photos while I was on break, we ended up chatting for an hour before I put it on break and went for a walk. :smiley:

Hello,I was just wondering if any of you ex cross’s lad’s were there when they ran from the lostock yard,the reason I ask is because I was told a story a few years back about a firm from Thame who used to stop at there yard because the Thame firm only ran day cabs Geoff cross allowed the drivers to sleep in the sleeper cabs of the parked up units of cross’s,the tale go’s that a black driver from Thame bedded down for the night in cross’s unit and when the driver got in is cab the next morning and pulled out of the yard,the black guy woke up with a start and scared the cross’s lad daft,he was not told about this arrangement so was very shocked!!’ Just asking to see if any of you blokes recall this …

It’s all gone now the yard is a pile of ■■■■■■■■