Berliet

This is how all trucks should be portrayed!

Scroll down to the section

Le Berliet centaure vu par LUI.

forum-auto.com/automobile-pr … 6-8995.htm

routier:

Link at all ■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

billybigrig:

routier:

Link at all ■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

in now! getting late!

My Dad used to work at Renault as the demonstrator driver from Manchester and he brought the Le Centaure truck Home and I slept init !!! for that time it was the bees ■■■■■■■■ !

I think the shower scene is worth a second look, and maybe a third or fourth. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a short video of Le Centaure on this site:

fierdetreroutier.com/photos/ … ntaure.php

Evening all, I wondered if there would be any interest in this thread. Seems that there is, so may I add a few bits of “trivia” surrounding Centaure. Berliet, although technically dominating the domestic French market, was in the early seventies suffering from a “grande malaise”, similar to our own Leyland group. Too many production sites, (both in France, and overseas), gross over staffing, lousy management decisions, (being owned by Groupe Michelins Citroen Division, not renowned for their forward thinking! and a confused model line up, which did contain some gems, (the medium weight “Stadair” fully air suspended, low height chassis. and of course the new heavyweight cab on the TR ranges. Berliet had launched a high reving 12litre V8, which just like our own AEC V8, had a propensity to explode!! This was being re engineered, but Citroen, (Michelin), wanted out. First suitor was Fiat, (soon to found Iveco), who already owned Unic), then on the scene came Volvo! Panic in Paris, would be a understatement! French jobs would be at risk, (and lots of them), Government decided that Berliet would become part of the “Regie” Renault. A government controlled group of companies, that would bring together Saviem and Berliet. 1975 it all began,Berliet needed an image, and that is just how Le Centaur came into being, a flagship, but what a flagship! The “new” V8, 16litre capacity, nominally 320 (DIN) hp. Berliets engineers had been redesigning its engines on a “high torque rise principal”, as the revs go down, the torque ramps up. Add turbocharging and in its day (1977) a pretty sensational package, 356hp and creamy torque output. Then add a hi roof from quality trailer and bodybuilder Lamberet a lyon neighbour. with a luxury car quality trim interior, oodles of chrome, extra lights and a well thought out paint job, wow, she was a sensation at the Paris show, and also more importantly on the road. They sold, so well that a special line was set up, if I remember correctly over 400 of the V8 Centaures were produced, and the cab option was available on other TRs, tractor and porteur. Stunning marketing added to the image, Centaur featured in TV and Cinema, remember France had “discovered” her routiers, and the population was interested in the industry. Centaures legacy was the Turboliner cab, in standard production. The only Centaure to come to GB was mounted on a TR 305, 12litre chassis. Who bought it, I do not know, but I seem to remember that the Dodge people coupled it to a Scammell box van trailer for demos. The V8 really was a dream to drive, and the standard of fit and finish were exemplary in the Centaure cab, including the “shower”, that in the shots showing “Monique” grab so much attention. Last bit of trivia, she was English! a former dancer at the Crazy Horse in Paris, and later married the head of the agency who handled the shots. Now a very attractive grandmother of four, and living in a rather swish suberb of Paris. Bon Chance mes amis, Cheerio for now.

This is superb stuff, M. Saviem. More please. More tales of French exotica, wheeled or not! Did all of les Centaures have a bog, or was that just the show model?

An interesting thread and not least for the enthusiasm of Saviem for the marque.

I have a great affection for what became the Turboliner cab being one of the first I drove when I came here to work in '99.

The boss still had 3 or 4 left defending against the ever encroaching Magnums.

Turning Saviem’s keenness around I spent the evening in the company of 5 French drivers at a routiers near Cahors last Tuesday and one of them commanded the floor with a fluent exposition of his knowledge of all things English, especially Fodens, ERFs and Leylands. I was surprised at the depth of his knowledge, and the interest of the others, but then remembered that quite a lot of Marathons were sold in France back in their day. They were equally fascinated to hear my telling of the history behind them, particularly the Foden split over steam and the fraternal personalities involved.

The previous night I passed in long discussion of a similar nature in Quimperlé. Stimulating stuff. :smiley:
Two nights later, back in Quimperlé, a silent meal with a miserable git only interested in the telly. :smiling_imp:
Oh well, 2 out of 3 isn’t bad I suppose. And I did get to bed early :unamused:

I remember my dad having a berliet on demo @ Adam Jones , and I went to Scotland with him on a night out . I remember going to sleep in Scotland and waking up in blackheath… the old man had set out early and not woken me up… lool. Good wagon ! … we still talk about it now .

Nice chassis ,strong body,built for comfort & long life,unique headlight & rear styling with kerbside appeal.Will attract most truckers looking for a smooth ride -the body can be lowered to accommodate the hot rod fans. …the jury is out on the truck!:lol:

Just to clarify my above post, I was wondering if the lav actually got into the production vehicles:

If so, I don’t fancy this bloke’s job:

Big Dorris:
My Dad used to work at Renault as the demonstrator driver from Manchester and he brought the Le Centaure truck Home and I slept init !!! for that time it was the bees ■■■■■■■■ !

I hope you didn’t have a crap in a demonstrator!!! :laughing:

wouldn’t mind her showering outside my truck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Afternoon all, thanks for the kind words, appreciated. [ZB], oui, the lav was an option, and yes it did sell! (from memory they were Thetford Porta Potti). It actually “sank” to below where the seat squab would have been, with a fold down seat over it, (not as crude as my description). Then when required it “rose to the occasion”. And yes, Ive heard all the jokes in English, Flemish, Italian and French! Centaures success was as much to do with the marketing of the concept, as the product itself. The French have a real knack at projecting an image that catches the targets imagination, some of the promotional images were quite spectacular, in particular those with the Helicopter, (as well as Monique)! Nearly every section at Venisseux had on its notice board one or other of the Centaure shots, and it really did give a much needed morale boost on the shop floor, as well as in the offices. The fact that the lorry was as good as its image really helped the job along, coupled to good press coverage, and the fact that some "flagship fleets" actually ran them. The fact that a client could tailor the cab spec of "his" Centaur, meant that the image could be acquired at reasonable cost. Immediately after the "merger" there was great uncertainty in both Dealer Networks,inevitably both marques lost outlets, and as ever good ones at that, DAF being the main benificiary. So again Centaure performed a positive role as a confidence giver, there was to be a future. As a companion the new Saviem PS30, (the best lorry that you never had in GB)was painted and equipped with a Centaure like package to appease Saviem Dealers, but not given the extensive exposure of its Berliet cousin, because the so long productive MAN collaboration was to end, and Berliet products would be the heavy range, and Saviem engineering would develop the lighter end. Spardo, your post reminds me of the thing that I think I miss most of all about France, the communal table for food. Strangers sitting, talking and eating together, unless you have experienced it, and the friendships that spring from it, then you are poorer for it. Somehow the French have a way of celebrating the Artisan culture, and a mans work is a profession to be valued, as is the individual. Shame that we have lost it here! Lastly, Leyland France was a very good outfit, with good people working for it. The Willeme AEC agreement had introduced BMC lightweights into France, and they became popular. The Marathon sold well in a difficult market, and the Roadtrain was accepted well, particularly with its Rolls Royce power plant, as a number of major French operators had experience of, and were well pleased by the performance of the 340 Saviem that Shrewsbury had fitted with an uprated Eagle @305hp (BS) and Eaton 9sp. That they had tried in house. Now that really was some lorry, but Im going on again, ah the little grey cells! There was no rational reason for Leyland to close Leyland France, it washed its face financially, but who could ever fathom, even with hindsight Leylands reasoning. Cheerio for now.

My attention is held! Here’s a question- what was Leyland’s market share in France (Marathon/Roadtrain era) and how were the Leylands generally regarded by French operators, relative to the Continental offerings? I remember an article in Truck about Girauds Roadtrains, then reading a bit later that the British product was heavily discounted- how true was this?

[zb]
anorak:
My attention is held! Here’s a question- what was Leyland’s market share in France (Marathon/Roadtrain era) and how were the Leylands generally regarded by French operators, relative to the Continental offerings? I remember an article in Truck about Girauds Roadtrains, then reading a bit later that the British product was heavily discounted- how true was this?

Can’t really answer that. All I can say is that the driver I met last week was very keen on Marathons and Roadtrains. He now drives a Magnum for Doumens of Périgueux. Yellow vehicles.

Evening all, [ZB], no I do not know off the top of my head either, but I expect somewhere in my old records I will have something on volumes. I remember one of my first assignments when I went to Paris was an appraisal of potential market shares. Now being used to the reliable SMMT UK statistics, and regional penetration tabs, I worked well into the early hours wrestling with French Government statistics, that when all the manufacturers, and importers volumes added up, I arrived at 160% of the total market! On Marathon, certainly into three figures, really quite low volume, but on Rolls powered Roadtrain considerably more. That vehicle was well accepted, 11613 Fuller, and 13tonne axle, economic and powerful. Pricewise, she was competitive, dumped, no, but very close to ex works price. Found ready acceptance with smaller hire and reward fleets, high spec, and exclusive with the Rolls Royce charge cooled badge. Some of the first Leylands I encountered in France were the Pelpel cabbed Hotchkiss marketed early 60s models. 600 powerplus. Quite handsome, and apart from the Leyland name on the front very similar to the AEC engined Willeme Horizon cab units. (Again the Horizon cab was a Pelpel creation). One of my old clients in Brest owned a couple of sleeper LAD cabbed Beavers, which he swore by! Cheerio for now.

Bonsoir encore M. Saviem,

Thanks again for your insight into the history of the vehicle industry. You just don’t get that level of detail in the few books that are available. Now for a nice Berliet- was this the world’s best lorry cab in 1970?

Evening all, you know driving a John Deere up and down fields does allow the grey cells to indulge in a little “mexican overdrive”, that is freewheel back nearly four decades. So here goes, if its boring I apologise. At Venissieux we had a test garage, responsible for the preperation of vehicles that were to be evalulated by journalists, domestic French, or foreign. There was a small team of technicians within the garage, overall responsibility being Msr Danton. Many times if passing the open doors one would see Le Patron, Paul Berliet, resplendent in a blue smock, fussing over some detail or another. He had a real passion for the product, and the creative team of engineers, designers, testers and everyone however humble connected with the product. Unlike so many “executives” he had an all encompassing hands on approach, whether leading a sales delegation to the eastern block, “loving along” some senior firebrand from the CGT union, or dealing smoothly with officials in Government circles. He personally took great risks in endeavouring to smooth the amalgamation of Saviem and Berliet, both on the shop floor, in the field, with two networks that up to 1975 were fierce competitors, and in the hurly burly of a depressed domestic market suffering great overcapacity. And he has a great persona, easily mixing at all levels, and of course he can drive, and very well, his teams creations. I first met him at a ride and drive that we had organised at Maine Poids Lourd, in Laval,a former Berliet only dealer. Iwas just about to go out with an operator who had complained bitterly, that his new TR280 (12litre 06.35.40. 266hp) was heavier on fuel than his existing “Relax” Berliets. These were pre Maxi Couple design, and would be driven on the revs. Just as I was about to pull away, fully freighted with test weights, I was told to wait for another passenger. The door opened, and in climbed Le Patron! Oh boy, in at the deep end now! Away we went. It was a well thought out test route, allowing the “lugging capabilities” of the Maxi Couple to be well shown, and the fitted fuel monitor well illustrated the economy available. On return, the client, and Msr Paul, dismounted, and walked away in the general direction of the hospitality marquee, and I carried on with my job. The following week I was summoned to Le Patrons office suite. I was received, (with my immediate boss) most cordially, and discussed the market, and different competitors offerings, and strategys. We even discussed the UK, and its producers, Le Patron had a liking for the engineering and products of AEC and Guy! and I was complemented upon my driving of the product. I felt pretty good! In 1978 the 1000th TR305 was handed over to Msr Aubert of Transports du group Besnier, a 310 unit fleet, mainly contracted to the (fine) cheese maker Le President. Guess who had been my passenger with Le Patron, on that test run back in Laval. {ZB], yes it was a brilliant cab design, but on the photo shown it was over possibly the worst engine Berliet ever created, the little V8 300! The best thing about that model, was the model created by Pistora, some fitted with a radio, of that lorry. I still have mine sitting on my desk in the farm office, it was given to me by Paul Berliet, and is priceless. Cheerio for now.