W.H.WILLIAMS (spennymoor)

Carl Williams:

Carl Williams:
Another driver has let us, Sadly Martin Halliday died on Saturday

Just heard Bill Canney also died just over a week ago. Bill was in the Grenadier Guards before he joined us and had spent some of his time guarding Buckingham Palace wearing a Bearskin Another great ex employee has passed away.

For those who have enquired about when Martin’s funeral is to be, it isn’t as he chose Pure Cremation and was taken away immediately from the hospital.
That is something I have chosen and paid for. It was the most difficult descsion I think I’ve ever made. It suited me but I couldn’t help thinking its a dramatic end. I discussed it with my Son & Daughter and was surprised they agreed, saying they certainly would not enjoy going to my funeral and thinking about it I would much more be happy if they & their families and any other’s who wanted to join them went out and I footed the bill for a nice meal with champagne for them, than filling the undertaker’s & vicar’s pockets. They could joke and laugh at all the daft things I’ve done during my life.
I was surprised to find that another 3 ex drivers I’ve spoken to have made the same choice, which made me feel better that I wasn’t as crackers as I thought I was
Anyway although I’m sorted I hope it doesn’t happen for many years.

One last thought the cremation happens at Aldershot & I wonder if they stick the coffin on the back of a wagon heading there.

For those that remember, whenever a van came into our Spennymoor depot to fill up with diesel after loading they always were asked had they any room on the back, so we could fill it up with part loads we had waiting to go and if we could have got the job taking full coffins to Aldershot we would have popped one on whenever there was space. After all we did carry empty new coffins from Worcester to North East undertakers.