Oldest member on this forum.Also wit and wisdom!

Dave when on Carlsberg we never used to touch the wheels, when we had new tyres fixed, we used to call back to later to had the wheel nuts retorted, if we had a tyre problem the firm would send a tyre company out to us. This was a total shock to my system after comming off of BRS Overland and doing everything under the sun to keep the Marathon & trailer running and changed a few tyres then. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Norm,
Two of the firms I drove for S W Brisbane of Knighton and C M Philpotts of Kington were also garage owners as well as being hauliers,both had more than one garage with commercial vehicle mechanics. Both of them never had spare wheels on the lorries as it lightened the tare.Even though we were on tippers we could be sent 100 miles away from the quarries with loads.If you had a flat up to 25 miles away wasnā€™t so bad. I drove for C W Griffiths whose lorries are often seen on the border thread and in those days he only ran five lorries,but we all had a spare wheel a jack wheel brace and a grease gun,also a torch and some spanners.
In those days around here tyre fitters were unheard of.The local garages supplied the tyres,apart from the previous two who obviously had their own.In Brisbaneā€™s case they owned a remould factory,so we ran on the reject remoulds with their lorries which with the factory lorries numbered about 40 wagons.
C W Griffiths ran a professional outfit which are still running with 14 eight wheelers and even today all their servicing is done in house unless they are under a new vehicle service agreement.
The other two finished years ago.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Hi Norm,
Two of the firms I drove for S W Brisbane of Knighton and C M Philpotts of Kington were also garage owners as well as being hauliers,both had more than one garage with commercial vehicle mechanics. Both of them never had spare wheels on the lorries as it lightened the tare.Even though we were on tippers we could be sent 100 miles away from the quarries with loads.If you had a flat up to 25 miles away wasnā€™t so bad. I drove for C W Griffiths whose lorries are often seen on the border thread and in those days he only ran five lorries,but we all had a spare wheel a jack wheel brace and a grease gun,also a torch and some spanners.
In those days around here tyre fitters were unheard of.The local garages supplied the tyres,apart from the previous two who obviously had their own.In Brisbaneā€™s case they owned a remould factory,so we ran on the reject remoulds with their lorries which with the factory lorries numbered about 40 wagons.
C W Griffiths ran a professional outfit which are still running with 14 eight wheelers and even today all their servicing is done in house unless they are under a new vehicle service agreement.
Cheers Dave.

hiya,
I think Iā€™ve put this on before but when driving an 8 wheeler ā€œno dragā€ at one time and running on 40x8s I actually blew EIGHT tyres off in one trip to London loaded with Accrington bricks my then gaffer had bought a batch of the tyres for a song off somebody bet he didā€™nt sing too loudly after that episode and he even insisted I return empty thank goodness I only had one spare, and three of the blowouts was on the front two axles I had two go off in three miles.the hardest part for me was finding telephones and walking to same
thanks harry long retired

harry_gill:

Dave the Renegade:
Hi Norm,
Cheers Dave.

hiya,
I think Iā€™ve put this on before but when driving an 8 wheeler ā€œno dragā€ at one time and running on 40x8s I actually blew EIGHT tyres off in one trip to London loaded with Accrington bricks my then gaffer had bought a batch of the tyres for a song off somebody bet he didā€™nt sing too loudly after that episode and he even insisted I return empty thank goodness I only had one spare, and three of the blowouts was on the front two axles I had two go off in three miles.the hardest part for me was finding telephones and walking to same
thanks harry long retired

That was the worse part of it Harry,finding a phone box also depending how far you were from one.I had a blow out in Dymock Gloucestershire about 6.0am in the morning,hadnā€™t got four pence for the phone,had money but not the right coins.I saw a place with the light on went and knocked the door.A bloke answered the door with a length of wood in his fist.It turned out that they were bakers and had been burgled a few weeks before.They were helpful,let me use their phone gave me a cup of tea and said wait here in the warm.I drank the tea and thanked them and went back to te lorry,it turned out another of ours was about two miles behind with the same problem,so the mechanic came out to the two of us,over 50 miles from Kington.
Cheers Dave.

In case you think I have passed on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I have just sneaked in to Bournemouth on .Friday, back tomorrow, the Savoy has no internet only the one in the foyer. But I got a dongle 3 and just got it fixed and up and going. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: But the other news is my sciatica has been giving me hell, this morning I couldnā€™t bear to put my right foot on the ground, dam it I will have to go to the doctorā€™s. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Weather very good Friday, Saturday OK, but Sunday a damp & wet but can you keep us old fogieā€™s down, no :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: we was sitting in the park teaching our grandaughter to feed the squirrels from her hand, she had a beam on her face as the people walking through the park said how clever! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Norman Ingram:
In case you think I have passed on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I have just sneaked in to Bournemouth on .Friday, back tomorrow, the Savoy has no internet only the one in the foyer. But I got a dongle 3 and just got it fixed and up and going. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: But the other news is my sciatica has been giving me hell, this morning I couldnā€™t bear to put my right foot on the ground, dam it I will have to go to the doctorā€™s. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Weather very good Friday, Saturday OK, but Sunday a damp & wet but can you keep us old fogieā€™s down, no :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: we was sitting in the park teaching our grandaughter to feed the squirrels from her hand, she had a beam on her face as the people walking through the park said how clever! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Keep going Norm,chase a few fillies up and down the promenade,that will free the trapped nerve :wink: .Its all that rich living thatā€™s giving you the trouble :laughing: .Hope you soon get your sciatica sorted.
Cheers Dave.

Dave I would say that Norman keeps that extra large wallet in his back pocket and with all that weight it is not surprising it gives him sciatica anyone else would have a broken back. :laughing:

ANON. :wink:

sammyopisite:
Dave I would say that Norman keeps that extra large wallet in his back pocket and with all that weight it is not surprising it gives him sciatica anyone else would have a broken back. :laughing:

If Normā€™s got a big wallet,there must be a few from further North with double herniaā€™s and a hump back from the amount of money they have :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

If Normā€™s got a big wallet,there must be a few from further North with double herniaā€™s and a hump back from the amount of money they have :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the church mouse is a millionaire compared to me so you must be referring to those at the other side of the Pennines. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

sammyopisite:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Cheers Dave.

Dave the church mouse is a millionaire compared to me so you must be referring to those at the other side of the Pennines. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

No reference to you whatsoever Johnnie.You are absolutely right on the side of Pennines I was referring to :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Cheers Dave.

No reference to you whatsoever Johnnie.You are absolutely right on the side of Pennines I was referring to :wink: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave,wish I was a fiver behind him,all those dodgy nights out he had made mine pale into significance.Please donā€™t include tā€™IOM as being wrong side of Pennines,Morecambe comes before that,plus 60 miles of Irish Sea. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Cheers Dave.

Cheers Dave.

Dave,wish I was a fiver behind him,all those dodgy nights out he had made mine pale into significance.Please donā€™t include tā€™IOM as being wrong side of Pennines,Morecambe comes before that,plus 60 miles of Irish Sea. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You are safe Chris,its mainland I was referring to :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Chris Webb:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:

Dave the Renegade:

sammyopisite:
Dave I would say that Norman keeps that extra large wallet in his back pocket and with all that weight it is not surprising it gives him sciatica anyone else would have a broken back. :laughing: ANON. :wink:

If Normā€™s got a big wallet,there must be a few from further North with double herniaā€™s and a hump back from the amount of money they have :wink: . Cheers Dave.

Dave the church mouse is a millionaire compared to me so you must be referring to those at the other side of the Pennines. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: cheers Johnnie :wink:

No reference to you whatsoever Johnnie.You are absolutely right on the side of Pennines I was referring to :wink: . Cheers Dave.

Iā€™m not happy about this ā€œfrackingā€ for gas round this way and a bloke has just found a Viking treasure trove on the Lancs/ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  border !!! getting a bit too close for comfort for my liking,Iā€™m having to weigh up wether itā€™s time to move my stash ( if I can hire a JCB,cheap like,who is prepared to work in the dark !) to safer climbs,like the IOM,as I believe they turn a blind eye to people staggering off the ā€œSteam Racketā€ dragging their ill-gotten gains and taking up tax free residence !! Well they did in Webbos case!! Cheers Dennis.

Stand by at high tide to-morrow Chris,Iā€™m lauching onā€™t front to-night so I hope the tides running in the right direction and I donā€™t just end up ā€œarse over tipā€ onā€™t Grange-over Sands side!! And the dodgy cockle pickers had better look out as this Long Ship will go through them like a dose of salts through J. Trotter !!! Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nice old time shot there Larry,I bet that craft was worth a ā€œbob or twoā€ even in those days!!Cheers Dennis. P S donā€™t know if youā€™ve looked on the Bewick Transport site but this is a shot of my great Grandad Thomas Bewick and his son John with one of their Foden Steamers outside where they lived in Hamsterly Colliery around 1909. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Stand by at high tide to-morrow Chris,Iā€™m lauching onā€™t front to-night so I hope the tides running in the right direction and I donā€™t just end up ā€œarse over tipā€ onā€™t Grange-over Sands side!! And the dodgy cockle pickers had better look out as this Long Ship will go through them like a dose of salts through J. Trotter !!! Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I love this banter.Youā€™d be better off in tā€™IOM than Grange ovver Sands,that is a snooty,snotty place,doesnā€™t tie in with Lancs at all (or is it still Furness ter tā€™owd 'uns?). Best place to aim for is Peel on tā€™western side of tā€™IOM,they still burn witches on sundays and mondays so a Viking Longboat wonā€™t upset 'em.
Anyroad,Iā€™ll look out for yer,if tha gets in bother Laxey Towing Co. will tow you inā€¦for a fee. :grimacing:

Norman Ingram:

hiya,
Just got a call from the venue manager at the Bournemouth Floral Hall ā€œagainā€ yes youā€™ve guessed it Iā€™m needed to shift a load of sand which was spread in anticipation o one of our members doing his sand dance but due to an attack of sciatica he had to pull out a la last year Iā€™m too skint to hire a tipper so it will be a bucket and spade job again.
thanks harry long retired.

You still canā€™t beat a bent pin and a worm to get a bite :laughing: works every time :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

tell them to shift their own sand harry , youā€™ve got enough on with your domestic duties , itā€™s washday tomorrow , and beds to change blah de blah de blah , oh , and donā€™t forget the dusting , and the windows need cleaning , etc etc etc , i donā€™t know where youā€™ll find time for a reviver , cheers , dave . ps i hope your wife is on the mend